Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

Thread: Ross has to go.

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    Here is a challenge - analyze every decision the manager makes during the course of every game, rather than cherry picking the few that you think support your point as a certified critic of baseball managers.
    So you are in fact saying it was the right move?

    Its wrong that I question a managers moves but its right that you bash a guy for striking out 3 times? I am not sure I understand what you are trying to get at.

    Griffey striking out 3 times sucks but why the heck do I have to chose between the two?

    Are you related to Pete or something?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    So you are in fact saying it was the right move?

    Its wrong that I question a managers moves but its right that you bash a guy for striking out 3 times? I am not sure I understand what you are trying to get at.

    Griffey striking out 3 times sucks but why the heck do I have to chose between the two?

    Are you related to Pete or something?
    I would not say whether a manager's decision is "the right move". Only the outcome determines that after it happens. The point is, you can not cherry pick a manager's decisions and second guess every move he makes. And you do not have to "choose" between two unrelated events.

    I am not bashing Jr either, that's a false characterization.

    The players directly impact the game with every action they make, whether it is striking out three times, making a base running mistake, an error, hitting a bomb onto Sheffield Ave., pitching seven quality innings, or any number of individual efforts.

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    so Jerry Narron pinch hitting Juan Castro for Josh Hamilton wasnt stupid its just people cherry picking?

  5. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    so Jerry Narron pinch hitting Juan Castro for Josh Hamilton wasnt stupid its just people cherry picking?
    I assume that's a rhetorical question.

    To characterize a decision as stupid is unfair and can only be done after the fact. At the time, JN thought it was the right thing to do. We can never know an alternate outcome because Josh did not get the opportunity to perform, that's all.

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    I assume that's a rhetorical question.

    To characterize a decision as stupid is unfair and can only be done after the fact. At the time, JN thought it was the right thing to do. We can never know an alternate outcome because Josh did not get the opportunity to perform, that's all.
    So managers should never get criticized since we would never know the alternate outcome?

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,325

    Re: Ross has to go.

    I would imagine that Ross will stay on the team because of his contract; he may not be a starter next year though

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    So managers should never get criticized since we would never know the alternate outcome?
    To criticize is to find fault with, or to point out a flaw. It becomes apparent only after the fact that if a decision does not return a positive outcome it can be called a flawed decision. No manager intentionally makes a flawed decision.

    Perhaps we do not always agree with a manager's decisions. It is too easy, and unfair, to find fault with his decisions, since we have the luxury of 20/20 hindsight.

  9. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    To criticize is to find fault with, or to point out a flaw. It becomes apparent only after the fact that if a decision does not return a positive outcome it can be called a flawed decision. No manager intentionally makes a flawed decision.

    Perhaps we do not always agree with a manager's decisions. It is too easy, and unfair, to find fault with his decisions, since we have the luxury of 20/20 hindsight.
    So managers should never be fired since we can never find fault in any of their choices no matter what they are. Managers make mistakes all the time but since we cant tell if the mistake will have any different of an outcome than the other choice we should just say oh well it was the better idea.

    When David Ross came up last night with runners on 1st and 3rd you better believe I thought it was wrong for Javy to not be batting.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    So managers should never be fired since we can never find fault in any of their choices no matter what they are. Managers make mistakes all the time but since we cant tell if the mistake will have any different of an outcome than the other choice we should just say oh well it was the better idea.

    When David Ross came up last night with runners on 1st and 3rd you better believe I thought it was wrong for Javy to not be batting.
    Managers generally get fired because their teams do not perform up to their potential. You can't fire the team, so the manager goes. You stated an absolute, ironically I think, "managers should never be fired" that is illogical. Sometimes change is necessary. A decision is determined to be a mistake because the players involved did not execute. Ross did not execute. Perhaps other factors, of which you have no knowledge, were working to keep Javy from batting. We do not know.

  11. #25
    The Future GoReds33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    2,463

    Re: Ross has to go.

    I think he will be the starter next year. If someone is willing to give up something decent for him I would have no problem with Javy starting, and Perez coming up and being a backup.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

  12. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    Managers generally get fired because their teams do not perform up to their potential. You can't fire the team, so the manager goes. You stated an absolute, ironically I think, "managers should never be fired" that is illogical. Sometimes change is necessary. A decision is determined to be a mistake because the players involved did not execute. Ross did not execute. Perhaps other factors, of which you have no knowledge, were working to keep Javy from batting. We do not know.
    So managers never make mistakes

    Noted thanks

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    So managers never make mistakes

    Noted thanks
    I am glad you finally see the light, RMW.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    I dont see the so called light. I am just tired of your opinion on it.

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    472

    Re: Ross has to go.

    There has been a lot of talk about the Reds taking looks at players (or mostly not taking looks at players) with an eye to the future.

    It was painfull to see Ross last nite against the Cubs and also earlier against the Brewers (bases loaded DP to end inning); but maybe Pete stuck with Ross because those were situations where the everyday catcher has to to get the job done. BY not getting it done, Ross was telliing the club plenty about himself in regard to the future.

  16. #30
    Member DannyB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    802

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by StrikeIndicator View Post
    I have said it before and will say it again here, his much vaunted defense often comes at a great expense both to the pitcher's era and the final box score

    With runners in stealing position he too often sets up on the outside of the plate (right handers) so that he gets that extra leverage and jump to throw to second. Where it works, he looks like a great defensive catcher.

    The scouting reports on him tells the hitters to sit back and wait on this pitch and the next thing you know 1 or 2 runs have scored.

    Pitcher gets the blame.:thumbdown

    A few weeks ago Javy called for an inside curve ball on an obvious stealing count/situation. The pitcher threw it, struck out the batter for out number 2out and the runner went to 2nd base.
    The other team announcers made a big point of how important (and unselfish) it was for the catcher to sacriface his stats for the good of the team.

    Ross would never have called for that pitch.

    If all you are looking at is post game stats Ross's stand out as a good-very good defensive catcher.
    If you watch game films, you see an entirely different picture. You see a catcher who is more concerned about the runner stealing 2nd than the batter getting a hit for extra bases and/or RBI's and you see a catcher is early in the season would not call inside pitches for the guys out of the Pen, which IMHO contributed to a number of blown saves and a great deal of criticism of the bull pen.

    Our best runs of the season came when Ross wasn't catching every game.

    While they still play him more than I think they should, maybe the FO sees this to and that is why their first round pick in the draft was a catcher.
    Thank you
    I could have never said all that


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25