Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Ross has to go.

  1. #1
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,860

    Ross has to go.

    I know some (BLEEDS) think Ross has the job in 2008 locked up due to the dollars spent on him...but this is ridiculous...the Reds can't keep running him out there. When they went on a good run...remember, it was Javy out there while Ross was on the DL. Javy's no Johnny Bench but jeesh....Ross is killing this team. Untimely K's from many doomed today's game...but Ross had to get the guy in from 3rd with 1 out...and as the ESPN crew pointed out...he just isn't getting it done. And if you are keeping score at home...take 1 point way from WK on the Ross contract. (I've given WK points as well, since overall he has done a decent job in my opinion)

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Maybe if we had a manager that would pinch hit for him in key situations it might now be a problem as much.

  4. #3
    Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    2,415

    Re: Ross has to go.

    I've defended the guy for a while, but it's tough to defend this:

    .201/.263/.391/.654

    Yeah, he's got a little bit of pop when he makes contact (16 HRs in 299 ABs), but when you're only getting on base at a miserable .263 clip, you're probably just trying to go deep everytime at the plate, no matter the situation. I understand he's got a great arm to control to opposing running game, but sheesh, I don't see how that makes up for his terrible, terrible offensive campaign this year.

  5. #4
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,860

    Re: Ross has to go.

    You know...I got fed up tonight and threw this thread up...without really weighing his defense/managing pitchers into the equation...but I really feel you can't justify his numbers at the plate the more and more I think about it.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Nah there is no excuse or defending how bad hes been at the plate.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,347

    Re: Ross has to go.

    David Ross has been terrible this year, but does anyone think he is simply underachieving this year? He hit over .300 during part of last year, but he finally finished with a .255 BA. This year he is hitting.201. It may be when everything balances out he will be a .230 hitter. In any case, he has never got over 500 ABs in a year, and their may be sample size issues. David Ross is not a starting catcher , but he will be on the team because of his contract.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    Maybe if we had a manager that would pinch hit for him in key situations it might now be a problem as much.
    The manager's decision whether to pinch hit for Ross did not cause the Reds to lose. How about JR's 3Ks and 4LOB? (hate to seem like I'm picking on him, but facts are facts)

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    The manager's decision whether to pinch hit for Ross did not cause the Reds to lose. How about JR's 3Ks and 4LOB? (hate to seem like I'm picking on him, but facts are facts)
    It didnt cause them to lose but it sure didnt help them win any. Both parts sucked but that doesnt excuse one or the other. The manager is out there to give the team every chance they have to win. Pete keeps missing his chances.

    Its a little easier to handle a bad game by a player but there is no excuse for bad games from managers.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    CHATTANOOGA, TN USA
    Posts
    311

    Re: Ross has to go.

    1. Bottomline...just about any AAA catcher could produce similar results at the plate as Ross for league minimum.

    2. The part that I don't agree with many is this concept that Ross handles the pitching staff better than Javy....The only pitcher worth a box or rocks this year was Harang. Aaron was good when he pitched to LaRue a few years back and probably just as good when he pitched to Javy. Arroyo stumbled this year, Belisle was way up and down, etc..

    3. The BP, we all know how that part of the pitching staff ended up.

    4. Ross is a good throwing catcher, but that skill is greatly diminished due to hardly anyone runs for a significant amount of thier run production anymore.

    So in the end, Wayne did overpay for Ross, when he could have leveraged Ross to a lower contract or simply opt for a Jorgenson, Sardinha RH catcher to compliment next to Javy.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    It didnt cause them to lose but it sure didnt help them win any. Both parts sucked but that doesnt excuse one or the other. The manager is out there to give the team every chance they have to win. Pete keeps missing his chances.

    Its a little easier to handle a bad game by a player but there is no excuse for bad games from managers.
    Every inning has its lost opportunities - not just one play, one decision, or one individual's poor game performance.

    How can you say poor performance by a player is easier to handle? The players determine the outcome by their performance - all nine players - in fact the entire roster determines the outcome.

    The manager does not strike out three times in one game leaving four men on base. The manager doesn't fail to drive in a runner from third. The manager doesn't wave a runner from third to be thrown out by ten steps. And so on.......

    This manager does not offer excuses. He has to play the players he thinks will perform any given day. You have no idea how many variables go into making out a daily lineup and managing a game. And know some posters what the manager to watch for flinches on which to base his decisions.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    Every inning has its lost opportunities - not just one play, one decision, or one individual's poor game performance.

    How can you say poor performance by a player is easier to handle? The players determine the outcome by their performance - all nine players - in fact the entire roster determines the outcome.

    The manager does not strike out three times in one game leaving four men on base. The manager doesn't fail to drive in a runner from third. The manager doesn't wave a runner from third to be thrown out by ten steps. And so on.......

    This manager does not offer excuses. He has to play the players he thinks will perform any given day. You have no idea how many variables go into making out a daily lineup and managing a game. And know some posters what the manager to watch for flinches on which to base his decisions.
    Its easier for me to handle a bad game from a player because he is competing against another player. The manager is only competing against himself.

    Both are bad but the player is out there getting struck out by someone. Bad games are bound to happen for players. Managers really shouldn't have bad games in my mind.

    Petes form of managing is killing me. He seems to play for future scenarios instead of going out and getting the runs that are on the base paths. I just dont understand his logic.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    113

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    You know...I got fed up tonight and threw this thread up...without really weighing his defense/managing pitchers into the equation...but I really feel you can't justify his numbers at the plate the more and more I think about it.
    I have said it before and will say it again here, his much vaunted defense often comes at a great expense both to the pitcher's era and the final box score

    With runners in stealing position he too often sets up on the outside of the plate (right handers) so that he gets that extra leverage and jump to throw to second. Where it works, he looks like a great defensive catcher.

    The scouting reports on him tells the hitters to sit back and wait on this pitch and the next thing you know 1 or 2 runs have scored.

    Pitcher gets the blame.:thumbdown

    A few weeks ago Javy called for an inside curve ball on an obvious stealing count/situation. The pitcher threw it, struck out the batter for out number 2out and the runner went to 2nd base.
    The other team announcers made a big point of how important (and unselfish) it was for the catcher to sacriface his stats for the good of the team.

    Ross would never have called for that pitch.

    If all you are looking at is post game stats Ross's stand out as a good-very good defensive catcher.
    If you watch game films, you see an entirely different picture. You see a catcher who is more concerned about the runner stealing 2nd than the batter getting a hit for extra bases and/or RBI's and you see a catcher is early in the season would not call inside pitches for the guys out of the Pen, which IMHO contributed to a number of blown saves and a great deal of criticism of the bull pen.

    Our best runs of the season came when Ross wasn't catching every game.

    While they still play him more than I think they should, maybe the FO sees this to and that is why their first round pick in the draft was a catcher.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post

    Petes form of managing is killing me. He seems to play for future scenarios instead of going out and getting the runs that are on the base paths. I just dont understand his logic.
    How does Pete's logic not get the runs that are on the base paths? Your logic is contradictory. Pete's decisions do not strike out three times or leave four runners on base.

    Perhaps the fact that you do not understand his logic is why you and others second guess every decision a manager makes.

    A manager must play for the next hitter, next inning, several innings ahead. You seem to want a manager to play for the moment rather than the combination of the large numbers of variables thar are invoolved in decision making.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    130

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdBaseCoach View Post
    How does Pete's logic not get the runs that are on the base paths? Your logic is contradictory. Pete's decisions do not strike out three times or leave four runners on base.

    Perhaps the fact that you do not understand his logic is why you and others second guess every decision a manager makes.

    A manager must play for the next hitter, next inning, several innings ahead. You seem to want a manager to play for the moment rather than the combination of the large numbers of variables thar are invoolved in decision making.
    So you think saving Javy to pinch hit in the 9th with no one on is better than using him in the 7th with 1 out and runners on 1st and 3rd is a good thing?

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ross has to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    So you think saving Javy to pinch hit in the 9th with no one on is better than using him in the 7th with 1 out and runners on 1st and 3rd is a good thing?
    I don't analyze single decisions a manager makes during the game.

    Here is a challenge - analyze every decision the manager makes during the course of every game, rather than cherry picking the few that you think support your point as a certified critic of baseball managers.
    Last edited by ThirdBaseCoach; 09-20-2007 at 10:32 AM.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25