Turn Off Ads?

Thread: BA: GCL Top 20

BA: GCL Top 20

This part is non-subcriber:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...es/264872.html

3 Reds made the list-

8. Soto- they talk about a move to second base or left.

11. Mesaraco- Echo what Doug was saying about him just focusing on being a catcher. 20 plus homerun power

13. Lotzkar- very mature advance, potential three plus pitches. They really like him.

Note Lotzkar is the highest rated pitcher in the league.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BA: GCL Top 20

great to see this trio gain mention in the top 13 -- been a while since the Reds have placed 3 players on this list

Lotzkar as the highest rated pitcher -- very nice. Also good to hear that the reason Soto was not playing at the end of the season was not particularly worrisome.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

It is interesting that, in a league in which pitching seems to have the upper hand, the top-rated pitcher would come in way down at #13. I am just glad that the top-rated pitcher is a Cincinnati farmhand.

Any year where we get a good young pitcher like this is a good year. Go Reds!!!
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Did the subscription stuff happen to mention what was up with Soto and why he had not been playing?

yep doug, they said minor elbow inflamation

Nice to have guys on top 20 lists. Even better is OF Justin Reed and RHP Tzu-Kai Chiu might be better than the kids who got listed.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Nice to have guys on top 20 lists. Even better is OF Justin Reed and RHP Tzu-Kai Chiu might be better than the kids who got listed.
    I hope. We need more talent in the lower levels.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

These league rankings are based a lot on performance aren't they?

Lotzkar- very mature advance, potential three plus pitches.
    I thought the knock on him was that he was basically a two pitch guy? Josh Ravin has made me slightly more conservative on this subject, but I'm pretty psyched about Lotzkar.

I'm a big fan of Lotzkar. Great pitcher's build (6'4 200) and three very good pitches. He showed solid command of three pitches in his first pro season at the age of 17. That's very impressive. I thought this was a very good pick by the Reds in the supplemental round.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    These league rankings are based a lot on performance aren't they?
    Down in the rookie leagues the BA rankings have more to do with perceived tools and projectability than performance.

Also, folks shouldn't get too goofy about having some kids catching notice in the GCL. Generally speaking it's not a sign that you've got a glut of talent coming through the pipeline. For instance, here's the top 10 from five years ago:

1. Hanley Ramirez, ss, Red Sox
    2. Rudy Guillen, of, Yankees
    3. Merkin Valdez, rhp, Braves
    4. Leo Nunez, rhp, Pirates
    5. Jose Diaz, rhp, Dodgers
    6. Elizardo Ramirez, rhp, Phillies
    7. Joaquin Arias, ss, Yankees
    8. Alex Romero, of, Twins
    9. Luis Hernandez, ss, Braves
    10. Brent Clevlen, of, Tigers
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Actually the Top 20 list are based on how they played in their league as well. So stats do count more in their Top 20 league lists rather than their orginizational Top 10 list and Top 100 overall list.

Is the GCL like an all star high school league? It seems as if the players who play down there really aren't ready to handle much.

Is the GCL like an all star high school league? It seems as if the players who play down there really aren't ready to handle much.
    It's far better than a bunch of high school all-stars, but it's also true that the kids are several years from being ready for the majors.

My take on the BA list is that if you've got very high picks playing in that league you darn well better see them on the top 20 list because BA is predisposed to place high draft picks there (given that they've written about those kids over the last 9 months and it kind of validates their draft coverage stuff). In other words, you learn more if you have a first or second rounder who doesn't make the list than if he does. So, so far so good with these 3 Reds prospects -- nothing to get jubilant about (reserve that for a player ranked #1), but at least we know they haven't shown themselves to be obvious overdrafts. I think it was noted in the BA chat that the league was very deep this year, so that's also encouraging. And, based on performance, I'm reserving hope that Lotzkar and Soto could be very good. Mesoraco -- as with most catchers, his development will likely be methodical (though I like his ceiling).
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I thought the knock on him was that he was basically a two pitch guy?
    It's not unheard of for the published pre-draft scouting reports to just be flat wrong on a guy, particularly pitchers. Travis Wood is a good example -- he was supposed to be a raw flamethrower. Instead, he shows up for work with a good-not-great fastball and an extremely good changeup. Go figure.
    Not all who wander are lost

Turn Off Ads?