Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Should Trade Stanton to Mets or Red Sox

Reds Should Trade Stanton to Mets or Red Sox

Mets bullpen is getting destroyed these days. They have ten games left and can use any reinforcements they can get. If Stanton has cleared waivers, as I assume he has (or would), trade him to the Mets for a minor leaguer. Stanton wouldn't be eligible for post-season, but Mets probably won't care at this point.

Another possibility is Boston, which is suffering from the same bullpen woes.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Reds Should Trade Stanton to Mets or Red Sox

Trade him anywhere....for anything.

Even if it's nothing.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If you can get somebody to assume his 2008 salary, then by all means.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Which GM do you want to see fired first? That would be the team he should go to.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    Which GM do you want to see fired first? That would be the team he should go to.
    I hear Houston has a new GM with a thing for overrated veteran middle relievers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Red Sox already did that once, they traded for Mike Stanton with just a few games left in the '05 season. Of course, he was not 40+ and under contract for '06 at the time. But, you never know, maybe they want to break the record for most 40+ year old pitchers on a staff, since they already have 3.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

So the Mets and BoSox have pens that are on fire and the Reds come to them offering a tanker of gasoline. Even at a discounted price, it seems a little unlikely that either would jump at the offer. Besides Rick White is a free agent again... Gasoline is freely available when it comes to powering major league bullpens.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If the receiving team is taking on his contract next year, I say do it. I've always felt folks on RZ were too hard on Stanton. He's had a number of outings in which he stunk up the universe - take away five outings in which he was awful and he's got a decent 3.10 ERA. I think he can help one of these two teams.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    If the receiving team is taking on his contract next year, I say do it. I've always felt folks on RZ were too hard on Stanton. He's had a number of outings in which he stunk up the universe - take away five outings in which he was awful and he's got a decent 3.10 ERA. I think he can help one of these two teams.
    Stanton at this point in his career is just an arm. His peripherals suggest middle reliever. He hasn't had platoon splits to suggest he'd be good as a situational guy for a couple of years. Whatever club that would trade for him would be on the hook for a minimum of $3.5M. They could expect to get similar production from several arms in their own system at the cost of league minimum. Neither the Mets nor the Redsox should consider Stanton an answer.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I don't think Stanton is a good pitcher but it seems like when he gets into trouble, he gets doinked, blipped and flared to death. His BABIP (.362) kind of bears that out. Of course, its his fault when hitters are batting .317 against him.

By all means, trade him if you can but we all know the minimum number of participants required to tango.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

What have you got against the Mets and the Red Sox?
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    What have you got against the Mets and the Red Sox?

Funny.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I don't think Stanton is a good pitcher but it seems like when he gets into trouble, he gets doinked, blipped and flared to death. His BABIP (.362) kind of bears that out. Of course, its his fault when hitters are batting .317 against him.
    I'm guessing that the .362 BABIP number has alot to do with that .317 BAA. If his BABIP was a more normal .306, his BAA would be about .247.

His DIPS ERA is a more reasonable 4.25.

He's had bad luck to be sure. He may not be great, but he's also not as bad as he has looked.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm guessing that the .362 BABIP number has alot to do with that .317 BAA. If his BABIP was a more normal .306, his BAA would be about .247.

His DIPS ERA is a more reasonable 4.25.

He's had bad luck to be sure. He may not be great, but he's also not as bad as he has looked.
    As I noted earlier, if you look at his stats without his five worst outings (3-4 runs allowed in each), his ERA is a respectable 3.10 - that's out of a total of 66 appearances. I can recall a few times he let up some dink hits that fell in. It's what makes baseball both fascinating and maddening. I'm not saying the guy's a superstar, but he's not the horror story some paint him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    As I noted earlier, if you look at his stats without his five worst outings (3-4 runs allowed in each), his ERA is a respectable 3.10 - that's out of a total of 66 appearances. I can recall a few times he let up some dink hits that fell in. It's what makes baseball both fascinating and maddening. I'm not saying the guy's a superstar, but he's not the horror story some paint him to be.
    If you look at Todd Coffey's stats minus his five worst outings he's made 48 appearances with an ERA of 3.13.
    Last edited by jojo; 09-21-2007 at 12:00 PM.

Turn Off Ads?