Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bailey tonight

Bailey tonight

Did anyone else watch? I say watch because I'm not sure that the radio would depict just how impressive he looked.

His line from tonight...

5.2 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 1BB, 3Ks

I can honestly say that he looked leaps and bounds better than any of his other performances I've seen this season (and I saw most of them). He started off (especially in the 1st inning) relying a lot on the fastball, but by the 2nd inning he was mixing in the off speed stuff very frequently and he was throwing it for strikes consistently (he threw 80 pitches tonight and 51 were for strikes). I still like the fact that he's pitched over 28 innings in the majors and has only given up 2 HR's (and many of those starts were at GAB).

I've been as skeptical and critical about Bailey as any, but tonight was definitely encouraging. He still has a ways to go and hopefully he works hard in the offseason going into next year, but the kid is 20 and has time to imrpove. I really do think he has a high ceiling. Hopefully he lives up to the hype. Time will tell.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey tonight

I nominate the following adjective to be added to Redszone's list, along side "veteran presence", "he plays the game the right way", and "does the little things"

"He looked pitcher-ish," interim manager Pete Mackanin said.

"panic" only comes from having real expectations

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I nominate the following adjective to be added to Redszone's list, along side "veteran presence", "he plays the game the right way", and "does the little things"

"He looked pitcher-ish," interim manager Pete Mackanin said.

I'll second "Pitcher-ish". Not sure I will ever use it....

Bailey looked clean with his delivery. KUDOS to Tom Brown is Sarasota for getting Bailey smoothed out. He looked a lot better. Still having a little difficulty with the landing portion of his delivery but it's close enough.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

A little more from Mackanin:

""We thought it was important to get him out on a positive note and not overextend him."
    Well, finally. Thank the baseball deities. I know I wasn't the only one begging for similar viewpoints from Jerry Narron in Bailey's first go-round, only to be left wondering whether Narron's elevator went all the way to the top.

Thank you, Pete Mackanin, for understanding basics.

The more I have seen from Mackanin, by and large, the more I have liked...

His curveball was working a lot better for him last night. Maybe not as much break as it had before, but a lot more control. I think the last double he gave up was on a curve up in the zone but he also had a few that really fooled the batters.

Granted, not the Giants' greatest lineup out there but an encouraging outing from Homer.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Definitely did a much better job of locating his curve. He's still got a little trouble with his fastball. He started the game with 3 fastballs, trying to hit the outside corner, and missed twice.

I still think he's a bit volatile mentally. He reminds me of Zambrano out there. Always ticked off at something. He was NOT happy about getting pulled in the 6th.

In any case, it was promising if nothing else. With that kind of stuff, it's going to be very hard to keep him out of the rotation next year.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

His curveball was working a lot better for him last night. Maybe not as much break as it had before, but a lot more control. I think the last double he gave up was on a curve up in the zone but he also had a few that really fooled the batters.
    Definitely. He was much better with the curveball -- better control of it, less loop/hang. And he seemed to be able to vary it some -- they were mostly in the high 70s, but I did see a 71. Got several called strikes with it and some swings and misses. He was changing speeds with the fastball pretty nicely, too, from 90-91 to 93-95. Once he gets better command of the fastball -- he's not bad now, but there's room for improvement -- he's going to be tough. Not sure what that pitch is he's throwing in the mid/high 80s -- the SF crew said the Reds were trying to teach him a cutter -- it didn't look to me like the changeup he showed earlier in the year, but it didn't really look like a cutter either. Whatever it was, it'll be interesting to see how it develops -- it didn't really help him last night.

An encouraging outing -- not a great lineup, but they didn't swing at much out of the zone. They made him through strikes, and he did that. Credit the organization with getting him healthy and ready to pitch -- and pitch better than before.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Fine performance by Bailey. Unfortunately the Giants he faced last night were a AAA team. Not to say that the ML hitters would have roughed him up (we don't know that they would or wouldn't), but you have to think that guys like Vizquel and Bonds may have messed with his head a bit.

I think he'll be fine. Sure looks better than some of the guys we've been throwing out there. Good job by Mac in pulling him early.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It was very encouraging the way he was able to mix in the offspeed stuff, I was happy with his performance. I hated the way he got yanked though. He was cruising along, mows down 15 straight, gives up a hit and gets pulled. Mackanin talked about getting him out on a positive note, but he did the exact opposite. What he seemed to say was "I don't trust you to strand that runner", even though he was pitching well. I don't have a problem with giving him a short night, he didn't need to throw 110 pitches, but he should've been allowed to finish the inning.

I only was able to watch the first inning. But what I saw I was very impressed. He threw free and easy. His fastball had some life on it so that was good. How many more starts will he get this year, 2-3? These starts could be big for next years development.

Aronchis! Paging Aronchis!
    Go BLUE!!!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Good job by Mac in pulling him early.
    I want to second that. If things had gone south for him in the 6th with two outs, it could have been quite discouraging. Instead he cashed in the successful outing and kept his pitch count low. Good job Mack!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I still think he's a bit volatile mentally. He reminds me of Zambrano out there. Always ticked off at something. He was NOT happy about getting pulled in the 6th.
    I watched pretty closely when he was pulled to see his reaction. I thought he just walked into the dugout and grabbed a seat. What did you see that made you think he was more unhappy than any pitcher who gets pulled from a game?

Granted that was after a couple four glasses of wine and a nap in the 4th inning.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Fine performance by Bailey. Unfortunately the Giants he faced last night were a AAA team. Not to say that the ML hitters would have roughed him up (we don't know that they would or wouldn't), but you have to think that guys like Vizquel and Bonds may have messed with his head a bit.

I think he'll be fine. Sure looks better than some of the guys we've been throwing out there. Good job by Mac in pulling him early.
    The Giants have a weak offense in a pitcher's ballpark (even with Bonds), so that would qualify any pitcher's start against them. I only was able to watch the first inning, but I did notice the pop was back on the fastball.

Mike Krukow mentioned on the Giants broadcast that the Reds were trying to trim down the 12/6 curveball because of the contol issues. I say if he can, let him use both, and use the 12/6 to put in the dirt for a chase pitch ala Ben Sheets.

The challenge that all pitchers face, not just Bailey, is maintaining stuff and command on a regular work schedule. Fatigue is a monster that can swallow you whole.

So it's not a matter of keeping your head above water in one outing. Frankly, I don't think last night told us anything about Bailey we didn't already know. Where he's going to need to make strides is in making consistent quality pitches start after start, week after week, month after month.

Last night's main function seems to have been giving the kid a much needed confidence boost. The next start at home against the Astros is going to be more challenging. Yet what Bailey really needs to learn, the skill he most needs to hone, is going to have to wait until next season.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?