Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BCast on Pete

BCast on Pete

From Fay:

“If we can get a couple of pitching holes filled, we can have a dynamite team for next year,” Castellini said. “The club has responded to Pete. If we go in another direction, we have to find someone else they respond to.”

“(But) Pete’s made a case for himself.”
    Interesting. I like how Pete's handled the club so far and it looks like he might have the inside track on another shot next year. At least as far as the bossman is concerned.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BCast on Pete

I like Mackanin.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I was dead-set against bringing him back no matter what he did, but he's made me reconsider that stance.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I was dead-set against bringing him back no matter what he did, but he's made me reconsider that stance.
    Me too. I was dead-set against just because of the bad karma stemming from the recent record of hiring interim managers to full-time. But Mackanin seems to be the real deal.

I had to chuckle. When Junior was laying in RF injured with trainers and players all around him concerned, Pete was standing there scanning his lineup card with his wheels turning as to how he was going to juggle things.

Pay attention to the open sky

Mackanin seems to have a little something that the last few interim managers didn't. I can't really put my finger on it, but he has a little more of a commanding presence than any of the others. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what he can do with the team next season.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Mackanin seems to have a little something that the last few interim managers didn't. I can't really put my finger on it, but he has a little more of a commanding presence than any of the others. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing what he can do with the team next season.

A personality for starters. Seems to have a sharp wit and good feel for managing the players.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

He always seems a half-step ahead of the action instead of the half-step behind of previous managers. The moves he makes seem to follow a logic that is well-conceived, be it the lineup, bullpen, or player substitutions.

Unlike previous managers whose moves seemed to come out of a grab-bag or random player generator.

Pay attention to the open sky

at least Mackanin is Krivsky's man, so they will be on the same page. i guess that's good, anyway. (Narron was O'Brien's and didn't Miley start the season before O'Brien was fired?)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I like Mackanin more than Narron who I thought was an upgrade over Miley (at the time at least).

But...I'm not sure. Batting orders aside (we could go on for days), many of the decisions seem to have been forced upon him.

Castro's injury. Freel's injury. Gonzo's troubles, Conine's trade etc. all forced decisions which in the end became positives.

Was he lucky or is he good?

I see some positives. For example, although everyone hates Javy's Defense, Pete seemed to have recognized the need for not having an automatic out at the bottom of the lineup (in a supposedly adequate offensive team). Narron would NEVER compromise defense (in his mind) . Mac seems to understand the tradeoffs better.

(Still hate BP cleanup vs. Righties....there I said it).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It depends on who's available. If they are able to find a candidate on the level of what Detroit did when they hired Leyland, then I think they have to do it.

But I wouldn't get rid of Mack just to bring in Girardi or someone on that level.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Mack is a major improvement in knowing when a pitcher has had enough. He also is the first manager the Reds have had in years who has figured out how to have a reasonably set lineup with guys hitting in spots that make some sense.

I didn't like his overuse of Griffey down the "stretch" and his overreliance on certain relievers, notably Maj and Stanton, while not using guys like Bray and Salmon. I hope he is not wedded to pitchers based on performance from previous years with other teams in other days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Mack is a major improvement in knowing when a pitcher has had enough. He also is the first manager the Reds have had in years who has figured out how to have a reasonably set lineup with guys hitting in spots that make some sense.

I didn't like his overuse of Griffey down the "stretch" and his overreliance on certain relievers, notably Maj and Stanton, while not using guys like Bray and Salmon. I hope he is not wedded to pitchers based on performance from previous years with other teams in other days.
    I have a feeling that Maj and Stanton use are partially due to orders from above. Wayne needs to know who are keepers and who need to go, and also needs to fluff up some trade value. Bray and Salmon seem like near locksfor next year's pen.

There will be turnover of the roster yet again this off season, and Wayne needs to make sure it is for the better.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

I hink Mack has done a pretty good job of managing a team with no pressure what so ever. I think anything was an upgrade over Narron and as stated above I wonder how much influence is coming from the front office on who to play. I wonder if it was a bonus not having Freel and Castro around and sending Coffey to AAA for a time?

I dont give him the job. I give him the opportunity to interview and be considered. However he hasn't managed to the point where I would give him an extention.

Overuse of Griffey. Could it br Jr had his imput as to when he would take a day off? I like how he has handled everything even sending Jr and Dunn the message play defense or you'll get replaced in the late innings. I think BCast has a good handle on what the Reds need to compete next year. That was good to hear.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Do a search...make sure.

Don't jump the gun...the recent history of that is not good.

Pete's done a good job, don't get me wrong...but is he the answer?

I would still like an outside voice and influence that not associated with this organization

Jason Ellison starting in the double-header (which you could argue was the biggest series of the year at the time), while Josh Hamilton didn't start at all still bothers me.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-21-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Turn Off Ads?