Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazing Wiffle Ball Pitcher

Re: Amazing Wiffle Ball Pitcher

I got in trouble one time for lining my backyard field with all my mom's Martha White flour. No biscuits for me for a while.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    atter.

And did any of you guys use "ghost runners" if you got on base and due to the shortage of players?
    woy and I played 1 on 1 with all "ghost runners". runners had to be forced in IIRC.

we also got in trouble once for taking some silk covered round christmas ornaments and stripping them of the silk and using the hard plastic core as wiffle balls. they were hard and hurt like heck if they hit you and being that they had no holes in them they acted like knuckleballs.. you never knew where they were going.
    School's out. What did you expect?

uniforms? fans? them folks take their wiffle ball very seriously!

Thank God Steves Gone

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    My family starting just putting a lawn chair behind the plate. If it hit the seat back, it was a strike.
    Thats how we do it i also play one on one with my lil bro, its pretty fun.. i throw those pitches to my family when we play but not like he does.. anyway.. they say i cheat so im not allowed pitching like that to em.. its b.s.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

And we use to come up with some really inventive rules in order to make it more harder and competitive. If you could only round up enough kids in the neighborhood to have 3-man teams then the pitcher was the 1Bman. If you batted LH'd (which my brother did) then you couldn't hit it to right field. Only to left or center. And it was the same for a RH'd batter.

And did any of you guys use "ghost runners" if you got on base and due to the shortage of players?
    Yep, we did all those things. Here's what I want to know- how did we all come up with the same rules? Right field was out, pitchers mound was 1b, ghost runners always advanced the same amount of bases as the real runner...as far as I remember these rules just existed, handed down from big brothers to little brothers.

I just remembered a rule that I actually made up. The lady next door to the yard we played in had a dog and there were piles of poop all over the yard. If your ball went over the fence and into a pile it was a ground rule double. That way, we could stop play, suit up with our rubber gloves and hose the ball off.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 09-25-2007 at 05:00 PM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Yep, we did all those things. Here's what I want to know- how did we all come up with the same rules? Right field was out, pitchers mound was 1b, ghost runners always advanced the same amount of bases as the real runner...as far as I remember these rules just existed, handed down from big brothers to little brothers.
    Kids had to be inventive. Especially when you didn't have enough players.

I just remembered a rule that I actually made up. The lady next door to the yard we played in had a dog and there were piles of poop all over the yard. If your ball went over the fence and into a pile it was a ground rule double. That way, we could stop play, suit up with our rubber gloves and hose the ball off.
    In our first home we had the same situation. Only we didn't have to worry about poop as much as dog bites. This dog was downright mean. We tried to position our playing field, and make it a rule.... DON'T HIT IT INTO THAT YARD!

Sadly enough, balls found there way over there. You then either suspended the game, or found a kid who was fast enough (and dumb enough) to go over that chainlink fence and retrieve the ball.

I got ankle bit a couple of times!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

[QUOTE=GAC;1470435]
    QUOTE]
    When I played we always ended up using ghost runners. That really took some of the fun out of it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

We always used ghost runners. That took some fun out of it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Me and my brother played hours of wiffle ball growing up. We had an above ground pool that was fenced in. If you hit it over the fence...home run. If you hit it in the pool, it was like Atlanta Fulton Co. Stadium...REMBER THAT?? We used electical tape to tape up the entire bat to make it a little heavier...thus the wiffle ball went further. I mowed the infield lower with a push mower. God how I miss those summer days. You never see kids just playing ball in yards anymore. Real shame.

I played in a wiffle ball league in college. It was awsome. It was in a warehouse. We had astro turf. and a "green monster" in left field. We had paid umpires. Great fun. I would play in one now if there was one.

Thank-you for this thread....it brought back a lot of great memories.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    We always used ghost runners. That took some fun out of it, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    That, and Home Run Derby (with tennis balls) in the backyard were so much fun.

Turn Off Ads?