Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonds says Giants are letting him go

Bonds says Giants are letting him go

Bonds posts online farewell message to Giants fans, says team letting him go
    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Barry Bonds was told by the San Francisco Giants that he won’t play for them in 2008, he said on his Web site Friday.
    But baseball’s all-time home leader said he planned on playing somewhere next season.
    In a statement, Bonds said: “This journal will be one of my last entries as a San Francisco Giant. Yesterday, I was told by the Giants that they will not be bringing me back for the 2008 season.”
    The Giants planned a news conference for 5 p.m. PDT.
    The 43-year-old Bonds, who spent the past 15 seasons of his 22-year big league career with the Giants, broke Hank Aaron’s record with his 756th home run on Aug. 7. He received a $15.8 million, one-year contract for this season.
    Bonds has hit 28 homers this season, raising his career total to 762. The left fielder is batting .279 with 66 RBIs.
    Despite Bonds’ personal achievements, the season has been a disappointing one for the Giants, who are mired deep in last place in the NL West. Bonds has also been plagued by personal controversy, including a federal perjury investigation and long-standing allegations that he used performance-enhancing drugs.
    In his statement, Bonds said he believes the Giants made the decision long ago not to bring him back for next season.
    “Although I am disappointed, I’ve always said baseball is a business, and I respect their decision,” Bonds said. “However, I am saddened and upset that I was not given an earlier opportunity to properly say goodbye to you, my fans, and celebrate with the city throughout the season as I truly believe this was not a last-minute decision by the Giants, but one that was made some time ago.”
    Bonds had said he wanted to finish his career in the comfort of his hometown, where his father, Bobby, played alongside his godfather, Willie Mays.
    “I would have loved nothing more than to retire as a Giant in the place where I call home and have shared so many momentous moments with all of you, but there is more baseball in me and I plan on continuing my career. My quest for a World Series ring continues,” he said.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds says Giants are letting him go

That's touching, eloquent, and somewhat sensitive. Wonder who wrote it?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

So, The Giants just used Bonds to sell tickets??

I'm shocked...

So what AL team signs this guy?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

ESPN will ride this story to death..."Bonds Watch"

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post

If the price is right, the A's.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I hope it's the yanks, would make thinks easy having my most hated player on my most hated team
    Go Gators!

B*nds will be a free agent. If properly saying goodbye to Giants fans was really all that important to him, B*nds could offer to re-sign with the Giants at a greatly reduced salary. B*nds will go to wherever he can get the biggest paycheck.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    B*nds will be a free agent. If properly saying goodbye to Giants fans was really all that important to him, B*nds could offer to re-sign with the Giants at a greatly reduced salary. B*nds will go to wherever he can get the biggest paycheck.
    I'm guessing Fukuoka Dae Hawks or Yomiuri Giants. Hopefully Mike Stanton goes with him.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Marty says during Saturday's broadcast (according to sources) that Barry will not take less than $12 million next year. Most interested teams (not considering the $12 mill) are the Orioles and Rangers.

Marty says while laughing that if Barry is serious about the $12 million, then he might as well enjoy retirement.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If the price is right, the A's.
    Absolutely.

Bonds won't have to relocate, so his dealers won't have to find new ways of getting his HGH to him.

Allegedly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I think it will be the Angels.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I think it will be the Angels.

I didn't know Bonds was Hispanic.

Another team I thought of may be DET. They need a LH bat and he has been with Leyland before.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I didn't know Bonds was Hispanic.

Another team I thought of may be DET. They need a LH bat and he has been with Leyland before.
    Very good point. With Shef probably gone, Bonds would fit Detroit. Homeruns might be harder to hit there, but Leyland would know how to handle him.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm very curious where Bonds will end up. With increased MLB shared revenues over the last couple years everybody has money, even the smaller market teams.

I also think Marty is crazy to say he's going to get less than $12 million, unless Marty knows he'll be imprisoned without bail or something.

I think bidders will include Anaheim (current DH is Juan Rivera), Baltimore (Aubrey Huff can move from DH to LF), Detroit (Casey gone, Sheffield DH to 1B), Yankees (Giambi to 1B, Bonds to DH), Oakland (cust to LF full time, Bonds to DH), Seattle (push Jose Vidro off a cliff), Texas (numerous ways to move guys around to stick him at DH)

Longshots include Boston (Lowell gone, Youkilis to 3rd base, Ortiz from DH to 1B), Kansas City (don't laugh - they've played .500 ball siince the all-star break; they have a young team with good players; DH Mike Sweeney's contract is expiring), Minnesota (if they can't agree to terms with Torii Hunter, they can go get a great-glove-no-hit CF for cheap, put Bonds at DH and move Kubel to LF).

Even assuming a couple owners stay out of the bidding on moral grounds (e.g. Moreno seemed pretty sore about the Gary Matthews steroid implications), I think there will easily be enough competitive bidding for Bonds to net one-year in excess of $15 million.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?