Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bonds not a Giant after 07

Bonds not a Giant after 07

September 21, 2007

Dear Fans,

This journal will be one of my last entries as a San Francisco Giant. Yesterday, I was told by the Giants that they will not be bringing me back for the 2008 season. During the conversation with Peter McGowan I was told that my play this year far exceeded any expectations the Giants had, but that the organization decided this year would be my last season in San Francisco. Although I am disappointed, I've always said baseball is a business -- and I respect their decision. However, I am saddened and upset that I was not given an earlier opportunity to properly say goodbye to you, my fans, and celebrate with the city throughout the season as I truly believe this was not a last minute decision by the Giants, but one that was made some time ago. I don't have nor do I want any ill feelings towards the organization, I just wish I had known sooner so we had more time to say our goodbyes and celebrate the best 15 years of my life.

I consider the City of San Francisco and you, the fans, my family. Thank you for loving me and supporting me throughout all the highs and lows. I feel a deep connection with you as I have grown up with all of you since the days my dad first became a Giant. The Bay Area has loved my family and friends for so many years and I thank you for that. It is now a time for change, as many athletes have experienced. It is comforting to know that those who have come before me -- Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, to name a few -- have forever remained in the hearts of the fans, as I know I will too.

During my career as a Giant, so many people made significant impressions on my life. I'd like to thank all my past and current teammates. I've had the opportunity to play with some amazingly talented ballplayers who have treated me with respect, supported me and rooted for me throughout the years. Mike Murphy, our devoted Equipment Manager, used to baby-sit me as a little boy at Candlestick Park. There are no words to describe the love and respect I have for him. Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper are the two best broadcasters in the business. Their professionalism, integrity and love for the game, puts them in a league of their own. I thank them for their support and I'm honored to call them friends. It is also important to thank all the men and women behind the scenes at the stadium who come to work every day and make it possible for us all to enjoy a day at the ballpark. I love walking to clubhouse hearing their "hellos" every day.

I would have loved nothing more than to retire as a Giant in the place where I call home and have shared so many momentous moments with all of you, but there is more baseball in me and I plan on continuing my career. My quest for a World Series ring continues.

Until next time,

Barry Bonds
    From barrybonds.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds not a Giant after 07

Why is he a jerk at all times?

Dunn for Cain anyone?

got alil captain in u?

he has to go to the AL in my opinion and become a DH to continue his career.

The day he hangs up the spikes for good will be a good day for baseball.

What would you do if Wayne was to pick up Bonds?

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    Shoot myself. That would be terrible. I know it will never happen though. I think he's going to New York or Oakland.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    for less $, i'd take him. Bonds still creates a very good amount of runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    for less $, i'd take him. Bonds still creates a very good amount of runs.
    Where would he play? The outfield is in a log jam again. Griffey, Dunn, Hopper, Bruce, Hamilton. Where do you see an opening.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Where would he play? The outfield is in a log jam again. Griffey, Dunn, Hopper, Bruce, Hamilton. Where do you see an opening.
    I see your point. Personally, and I know I'll get hammered for this, but i'd rather have him in RF than griffey. Yes, Bonds sucks defensively, but his bat over shadows that, IMO. Bonds still takes a good amount of walks, and surprising enough, stole 5 bases last year at a 100% success rate. That may not seem like much, but for a 43 year old, that isn't too bad.

He wont sign with the reds anyway, so it's a moot point.

I see your point. Personally, and I know I'll get hammered for this, but i'd rather have him in RF than griffey. Yes, Bonds sucks defensively, but his bat over shadows that, IMO. Bonds still takes a good amount of walks, and surprising enough, stole 5 bases last year at a 100% success rate. That may not seem like much, but for a 43 year old, that isn't too bad.

He wont sign with the reds anyway, so it's a moot point.
    Did you mean right field? Bonds in center would be terrible.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Did you mean right field? Bonds in center would be terrible.
    yeah, i changed it to right. my mistake.

yeah, i changed it to right. my mistake.
    Thanks. You almost gave me a heart attack. I would rather have anybody in MLB, Jason Ellison included, than Bonds on the Reds.
    -LTlabner

Senor Votto

I bet Bonds will be a Yankee

Turn Off Ads?