Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marty giving Dunn props

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Marty giving Dunn props

Listening to the Giants game right now (the one where Hopper was called out on one of the worst calls you will ever see) and Marty is saying how much of a gamer Dunn is and how he brings "a football mentality" and only misses games when it's "absolutely necessary."

Says he wishes there were more players in MLB as tough as Adam Dunn.

OK, lip service, or is Marty finally starting to get it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marty giving Dunn props

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Listening to the Giants game right now (the one where Hopper was called out on one of the worst calls you will ever see) and Marty is saying how much of a gamer Dunn is and how he brings "a football mentality" and only misses games when it's "absolutely necessary."

Lip service. Marty has routinely said he is lazy and doesn't care.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Lip service. Marty has routinely said he is lazy and doesn't care.
    I've never heard Marty say that - but I only listen to the broadcast at the games during the 2nd inning. Marty has said that Dunn is very frustrating many times (and he's right).
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

See, that's the thing. I think (as a Reds fan at heart) Marty tends to get frustrated in the moment and says things he really doesn't mean when things are going bad. Just like all of us when we're a little ticked off.

When it comes down to it, I think that Marty sees Dunn's value. He gets crucified for his comments, but that's just heat-of-the-moment stuff. Marty is a Reds fan and we all say stuff we don't mean when we're upset. Marty is either lying, or he likes Dunn overall. He just sees star potential in him and everyone here can admit that Dunn can be mind-scratching frustrating at times. But he's still our Adam Dunn and he's a star in MLB.

Last night Marty also gave Dunn props for getting his 100th walk. "That's Huge" he said.
    “This one was a perfect one. I don’t know if I can find a better one, better timing. He [Price] really said some great things there. It really encouraged us to go back and do what we do. … I didn’t know he could speak like that.” Brayan Pena 5/21/14

He's not talking about Dunn's play, he's talking about his toughness. Two entirely different things.

When it comes down to it, I think that Marty sees Dunn's value. He gets crucified for his comments, but that's just heat-of-the-moment stuff. Marty is a Reds fan and we all say stuff we don't mean when we're upset. Marty is either lying, or he likes Dunn overall. He just sees star potential in him and everyone here can admit that Dunn can be mind-scratching frustrating at times. But he's still our Adam Dunn and he's a star in MLB.
    I don't think he does.

He's ragged on him all season long... and it started in the spring training broadcasts. "Adam Dunn has a terrible work eithic, Adam Dunn is not a run producer", yadda yadda yadda. About the only thing he's NOT said is that he played drunk; unfortunately, someone else came up with that one.

Seems it doesn't matter what Adam does, it's never good enough, it's lazy, or some other concocted thing.

Yeah, Dunn's frustrating, but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. Look at the numbers he's put up this year (almost every year for that matter).

FWIW, Marty's frustrating.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

You know, maybe it's possible the whole dust up about Dunn's mother not tuning in when Marty's on the broadcast got through to him. Dunn spoke up. Fans wrote in. We know at least one of those letters was forwarded to Marty. Maybe Marty listened. I'd like to think it's possible.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

I don't think it was lip service. I heard the comments live (about playing a lot of games). They sounded genuine.

M2 makes a good point. Additionally all of the beat writers have been saying you have to take his option (and why) so it might be that Marty is seeing the errors of his ways.

Think about it, playing in all or most of 162 games is something Marty can appreicate, regardless of the player.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-22-2007 at 05:56 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You know, maybe it's possible the whole dust up about Dunn's mother not tuning in when Marty's on the broadcast got through to him. Dunn spoke up. Fans wrote in. We know at least one of those letters was forwarded to Marty. Maybe Marty listened. I'd like to think it's possible.
    Or it could be that the FO took Marty aside and said something like this:

"We're going to pick up Adam Dunn's option next season and we're thinking of signing him to a long term deal. Because Dunn is a big part of our plans, we need you to start pointing out his virtues, instead of his flaws. The last thing we want is for fans to stay away from the ballpark because he's there."
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I've never heard Marty say that - but I only listen to the broadcast at the games during the 2nd inning. Marty has said that Dunn is very frustrating many times (and he's right).
    I agree and I have listened to a majority of the radio broadcasts nightly on my way to work. He has never said he was lazy and doesn't care.

Marty has said some things concerning Dunn that have been frustrating and which many of us don't agree with; but lets not attribute to him things I don't think he has said on the air.

If he had used such terminology (lazy, doesn't care) it would have been as controversial and publically addressed as Cunningham's recent comments on Dunn.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-22-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

I've heard Marty say numerous times that he wants a guy who is going to "run to his position" and called it lazy not to, and all arrows were pointing to Dunn.

Also, I don't think he has a clue how valuable Dunn is. This is the same guy that said "THERE IS NO WAY THE REDS WILL PICK UP HIS OPTION." He has noted that Hopper could start in his place. He has hated on Dunn for years.

But NOW, he realizes that he is wrong. The writers voted 3-0 that the Reds have to pick up his option, and I think he felt dumb about that. Now he is CYA every day.

Sorry, there is a reason why Mr. and Mrs. Dunn don't like Marty, and it's probably not heat of the moment things, and if it is, then shame on Marty for saying such things in the heat of the moment.

WOY, feel free to add.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I've heard Marty say numerous times that he wants a guy who is going to "run to his position" and called it lazy not to, and all arrows were pointing to Dunn.

Also, I don't think he has a clue how valuable Dunn is. This is the same guy that said "THERE IS NO WAY THE REDS WILL PICK UP HIS OPTION." He has noted that Hopper could start in his place. He has hated on Dunn for years.
    But NOW, he realizes that he is wrong. The writers voted 3-0 that the Reds have to pick up his option, and I think he felt dumb about that. Now he is CYA every day.

Sorry, there is a reason why Mr. and Mrs. Dunn don't like Marty, and it's probably not heat of the moment things, and if it is, then shame on Marty for saying such things in the heat of the moment.

WOY, feel free to add.
    If he came out and said those two things in BOLD - you'd have a point...and as GAC points out there would be a backlash on this board, but as far as I know he hadn't (at least not on the airwaves). BTW... Dunn "runs" or I could say jogs to his position - hardly any player runs out there anymore - well except for Coffey .

I'm not WOY, but here's a quote from another Dunn/Marty love/hate thread that might be appropriate!
    Hey, why don't YOU get real and realize that other people might actually think differently then you on the subject.

No need to act surprised, the world is a big place full of varied opinions. Obviously you have yours, as narrow as it may but it is yours.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

If he came out and said those two things in BOLD - you'd have a point...and as GAC points out there would be a backlash on this board, but as far as I know he hadn't (at least not on the airwaves). BTW... Dunn "runs" or I could say jogs to his position - hardly any player runs out there anymore - well except for Coffey .

I'm not WOY, but here's a quote from another Dunn/Marty love/hate thread that might be appropriate!
    You act like I'm making this up. Has everyone forgotten the Bash Marty threads? Here's a Marty quote:

"I'm tired of hearing people say he'll give you forty homers and drive in a hundred runs every year. First of all, he didn't drive in 100 runs last year. The most overrated stat in baseball is the damn home run. Give me a guy that'll run to his position and run off the field. More often than not, he walks to his position and walks off the field. Give me a guy that shows some life out there. His approach to hitting is the same if the count is 0-0 or 3-2. We all know his knowledge of the strike zone because he walks over a hundred times a year."
    These are not even my opinions, I'm just reporting what I see and hear.

A quote from JMac:
    Then as for Marty.....What irks me about him is he does this all the time towards Dunn then after the first bigggg homer from Dunn...he will say emphatically "Well.......how about Adam Dunn " !!!!!
    Creek:
    I have never seen him walk to or from his position. He doesn't sprint, I'll give you that, but he does jog.

I think Marty just has a Napoleon Complex when it comes to Dunn.
    Membengal:
    It lessens him as a broadcaster. It turns him into a joke, a walking skit, a fool. THAT's what bothers me. I am bothered because he cheapens himself.
    Here is a 28 page thread about Marty bashing Dunn. Again, I'm not making this up.
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...unn+marty+lazy
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 09-22-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Well, then Marty DOES HATE Dunn. Shouldn't Matt make sure someone isn't holding a gun to Marty's head when he gives Adam props? Or is it all just an act and not genuine (which would be typical of WLW)?

Or maybe we should just ask "Adam from Milwaukee"???

Or maybe we should just ask "Adam from Milwaukee"???
    "Ummm...do you have a shirt on?" - Adam from Milwaukee

Turn Off Ads?