Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Why can't Arroyo get any run support?

Why can't Arroyo get any run support?

It was the first time the Reds were shut out since July 29 against the Cubs. Almost surprisingly, Arroyo wasn't pitching that day. Although run support has been better recently, Cincinnati scored two runs or less in 14 of the right-hander's 33 starts -- including three shutouts. The club is 12-21 in his starts despite 21 quality outings.

It's partially why Arroyo's record is less than shining at 9-14 with a 4.22 ERA. A rough middle portion of the season hurt and he was 3-9 with a 4.84 ERA in the first half -- including seven consecutive losing decisions. He is 6-5 with a 3.48 ERA in 15 starts since the All-Star break.

In 2006, Arroyo was 14-11 with a 3.29 ERA and a Major League-most 240 2/3 innings.

"Other than probably two outings against Washington [both two innings or less], I feel like I've had close to the same year I had last year," Arroyo said. "Last year, I had 23 quality starts. This year, I have 21. I'm over 200 innings now and my strikeouts aren't that much off of last year. The first half really killed me not being able to build up wins when I had those good outings to start the season."

2 runs or less in 14 of 33 starts is not very good. He has given us 21 quality starts this year, just a little worse than last year, but the Reds have not given him any run support. I hate to sound the what ifs, but this could have been a different year if the Reds had given Arroyo some run support this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why can't Arroyo get any run support?

Because the rest of the team hates his music.

Because they save all their run support for Harang.

Cheekily Non-Conformist CarolinaRedleg's Avatar

Because he prefers to work with David Ross???

Kidding, of course

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    Because the rest of the team hates his music.
    I guess. Even the best pitchers need run support. Even with run support this season though he wouldn't be that good of a pitcher. His ERA stands for itself.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

no 21 quality starts stands for itself

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post

"Other than probably two outings against Washington [both two innings or less], I feel like I've had close to the same year I had last year,"
    without those 2 starts he has a 3.71 ERA

I think he has been the victim of goofy lineups and bad relievers most of the year.

BA has nobody to blame but himself for his lack of run support. He homered in his first two games in a Reds' uniform; so everyone naturally figured he could get his own runs if he wanted them.

I think he has bad breath and bad gas and the rest of the team is so nauseated when they go to bat and they stink up the joint.

Turn Off Ads?