Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Fay's article today-- 2002 draft the Reds could have had.....?????

John Fay's article today-- 2002 draft the Reds could have had.....?????

Per John Fay's article..

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...30406/1082/SPT

"Never draft for need: In 2002, the Reds were set on drafting a pitcher. But they brought in a chubby first baseman for a workout anyway. He sprayed line drives around the park and showed great power. The Reds drafted Chris Gruler third overall that year. The first baseman went seventh to Milwaukee. His name? Prince Fielder."

What I am shocked about, yes knowing we could have had him, but knowing Griffey Jr was around him when he was young, you think his name would have came up and maybe Jr could have said to the Reds front office: YES draft him!!

amazing how many good players this organization i the past let slip away: Prince Fielder, Derek Jeter to name two!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Fay's article today-- 2002 draft the Reds could have had.....?????

It's so easy to do that. I remember when Fielder was drafted, and it was no deep, dark secret that he was a great prospect. I am sure the Reds liked him just fine. But, this organization ALWAYS needs pitching, and nobody knew at that time that Gruler was going to blow his arm out. Johnny Bench himself said Gruler's curve ball was better than Tom Seaver's, so you really can't hang that choice on the front office.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

They could have had Jeter at one point too....

Oops.

Gruler was ranked 7th overall by BA and Fielder was 24th. It's not like they passed up the #1 ranked guy overall for a guy ranked 50th.

IT is always about "WHAT IF'S" Like what if last year, the Reds went out to the West Coast and did not fall flat on their face, them maybe they could have been the team to make the playoffs and win the World Series.

Every team has a list of What IF. What about the other 6 teams who did not draft Prince, are they possibly saying the same thing?
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    They could have had Jeter at one point too....
    Every major league club passed on Albert Pujols 13-14 times.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Every major league club passed on Albert Pujols 13-14 times.
    True as well.

Dummies

I hope there are a number of teams that will say the same thing about Bruce in a few years.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

I love that a lot of these "THEY SHOULD HAVE DRAFTED SUCH AND SUCH" articles are always about an offensive player..as if offense is why this team has stunk for 8 years.
    Go Gators!

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

The Brewers went against the conventional wisdom picking up Fielder, mostly due to his weight issues.

That still doesn't excuse the drafting of Gruler. Rarely if ever do high school pitchers or college relievers warrant 7-figure bonuses.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post

That still doesn't excuse the drafting of Gruler. Rarely if ever do high school pitchers or college relievers warrant 7-figure bonuses.
    Well, let's hope Homer Bailey doesn't follow that rule...

There's a dozen "what if" guys you could choose from the 2002 draft instead of Gruler. The two who got the most play around here at the time were Scott Kazmir and Jeff Francis. That Chris Gruler was ginned up to be something he wasn't when the Reds picked was fairly common knowledge at the time.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Draft history is why the thought of letting Dunn walk and taking draft picks is so inane. Baseball drafts are such a roll of the dice - it's not like it is in the NFL or NBA. It's an extremely rare player who makes an immediate impact for the drafting club. If you look at the list of 1st round picks for each team, it's fraught with failure.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    The Brewers went against the conventional wisdom picking up Fielder, mostly due to his weight issues.

Since 2002, there have been plenty of high school pitchers worth their signing bonus.

Zack Greinke
    Jeff Francis
    Scott Kazmir
    Cole Hamels
    Matt Cain

Chad Billingsley

2004 (these guys are barely 21 years old right now, but I bet the Reds and the Yankees are enjoying their money well spent right now)
    Homer Bailey
    Phil Hughes

Sure, there were some flops in there.... but there were flops for college pitchers, hitters, relievers, everything. Thats how the MLB draft is.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Doug:

I haven't done the research in a few years, but last time I checked high schoolers with 7-figure bonuses have a significantly higher failure rate than college and juco guys. In other words, I think your examples are exceptions, rather than the rule. Josh Beckett is another good recent exception.

If I were GM, and the scouting director wanted to blow a first round pick on a high school arm, he'd have to be pretty convincing.

And I disagree about Bailey. More than likely, I still say he turns out to be a below-average major league pitcher. I'm less convinced of that than I was a couple years ago, but it's much too premature for the Reds to proclaim success.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?