Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs. Alka Seltzer Birds

Re: Bengals vs. Alka Seltzer Birds

Business expert Forbes could help Lewis finesse his people skills:

• The customer is always right.
    Sorry, but I do not rely on the popular media to inform me, so it is a bit presumptuous for a member of the media to see himself as the mediator between the team and the fans. Also, Marvin is only reflecting the attitude of the NFL, who has made it very clear that they want full control over media communication.

I imagine many coaches will get less surly with media when the media gets less surly with them. You can ask tough questions without being abrasive, but many questions are ignorant or asked in a leading manner. Then there's that whole selective quoting problem.
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-27-2007 at 01:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Sorry, but I do not rely on the popular media to inform me, so it is a bit presumptuous for a member of the media to see himself as the mediator between the team and the fans. Also, Marvin is only reflecting the attitude of the NFL, who has made it very clear that they want full control over media communication.

I imagine many coaches will get less surly with media when the media gets less surly with them. You can ask tough questions without being abrasive, but many questions are ignorant or asked in a leading manner. Then there's that whole selective quoting problem.
    I watch almost all of Marvin's press conferences, and many of the questions are from Dave Lapham, one of the least abrasive/most self-effacing men I have ever heard. (but Marvin's responses are smartass and/or surly more often than not)

All the wrtiers/media in the room walk on eggshells around Marvin.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    That's a terrible article.

Of course that's to be expected from Oller, who makes John Fay look like Jimmy Cannon.
    Wheels, I'm not a fan of Oller, but he makes valid points in this article.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I watch almost all of Marvin's press conferences, and many of the questions are from Dave Lapham, one of the least abrasive/most self-effacing men I have ever heard. (but Marvin's responses are smartass and/or surly more often than not)

All the wrtiers/media in the room walk on eggshells around Marvin.
    I think Marvin should remember that, regardless of who is asking questions, the answers are for the benefit of the fans. They may not like the answers, and some questions can't be answered for fear that it would be too much information for the opposing team. But when you get surly and evasive and refuse to address issues and questions that just about every Bengals fan has is a real turn off for me. I'd at least like to know that Marvin Lewis recognizes the problem and is trying to handle it. Surly, smartass answers aren't what I as a purchaser of the Bengals' product want to hear.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Wheels, I'm not a fan of Oller, but he makes valid points in this article.
    Yeah?

Well you've done a better job addressing those points than Oller, and you do it for free.

Personally, I couldn't care less about how Lewis addresses the media. He's "nicer" about it than Bill Parcells, and sometimes he's pretty funny. I don't care if he's secretive, and I don't care if he explains himself as long as he wins. Right now, they aren't winning, and it's pretty obvious why that's the case.

If they could just get back to winning some dad gum football games, we'd not hear all of this talk about Marvin's media tactics (of all the things with which to waste ink!).
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    If they could just get back to winning some dad gum football games, we'd not hear all of this talk about Marvin's media tactics (of all the things with which to waste ink!).
    It's not just his condescending attitude towards the media, it's his pathetic clock, game, and red flag management.

That and the fact that he's put together an abortion of a defense, that leads me to the following conclusion:

He needs to go, before the window of this remarkable offense has been shut.

It's not just his condescending attitude towards the media, it's his pathetic clock, game, and red flag management.

That and the fact that he's put together an abortion of a defense, that leads me to the following conclusion:

He needs to go, before the window of this remarkable offense has been shut.
    And be replaced by who? Who out there is a.) available, b.) willing to come to Cincinnati, and (perhaps most importantly) c.) is actually better than Marvin Lewis.

All of this "fire the coach" talk sounds like a good idea, but in reality it would be closer to a disaster than the cure for what ails the Bengals.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    And be replaced by who? Who out there is a.) available, b.) willing to come to Cincinnati, and (perhaps most importantly) c.) is actually better than Marvin Lewis.

All of this "fire the coach" talk sounds like a good idea, but in reality it would be closer to a disaster than the cure for what ails the Bengals.
    Anyone with a pulse that is not as incompetent with the basics.

I don't belive this team can take it to the next level with Marvin as coach. The sooner the move is made, the better.

Anyone with a pulse that is not as incompetent with the basics.
    Wow... How quickly we forget that the Bengals won the division and could have won a lot more two years ago if Carson doesn't go down. The defensive ineptitude is getting old but remember where the Bengals were before Marvin. Palmer has a lot to do with that but when he took the job he turned the team around with John Kitna as the QB and nearly made the playoffs that year.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Wow... How quickly we forget that the Bengals won the division and could have won a lot more two years ago if Carson doesn't go down. The defensive ineptitude is getting old but remember where the Bengals were before Marvin. Palmer has a lot to do with that but when he took the job he turned the team around with John Kitna as the QB and nearly made the playoffs that year.
    Thank you very much.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Ok, be content with 8-8.

Your right, 8-8 is great, considering where they were before Marvin stepped in.

Of course, it's my opinion that anyone could have stepped in at that time (with that offense) and looked like a savior and I'm sure that will buy Marvin many more years of 8-8 or something near that.

What a lucky guy he is. I just can't enjoy the mediocrity just because they stunk so bad for so long.

Ok, be content with 8-8.

Your right, 8-8 is great, considering where they were before Marvin stepped in.

Of course, it's my opinion that anyone could have stepped in at that time (with that offense) and looked like a savior and I'm sure that will buy Marvin many more years of 8-8 or something near that.

What a lucky guy he is. I just can't enjoy the mediocrity just because they stunk so bad for so long.
    I agree with you Buck...

I think the Tony Dungy comparisons are valid.

Marvin HAS done a good job of getting the Bengals back to respectability.

HOWEVER: The "improvement curve" must continue to ascend, otherwise our vaunted offense will end up being for naught. The window on this offense is closing, and we cannot afford 3-4 more seasons of ho-hum defense and special teams.

By the way, with 8 divisions, how many division champs have there been over the last 4 years?

Answer: 18 - more than half the league has won a division.

IND x 4
    NE x 4
    SEA x 3 + 1 WILDCARD
    PHI x 3
    CHI x 2
    SD x 2
    BAL x 2

STL + 1 WILDCARD
    CAR + 1 WILDCARD
    NYG + 1 WILDCARD
    DEN + 2 WILDCARDS
    KC + 1 WILDCARD
    PIT + 1 WILDCARD
    GB
    TB
    NO
    ATL
    CIN

wildcards:

NYJ x 2
    DAL x 2
    JAX
    TEN
    WASH
    MIN

So, 24 different teams have been to the playoffs since Marvin took over with only 8 pathetic franchises (2 of which are pretty much expansion garbage) not making it (CLE, HOU, BUF, MIA, OAK, DET, ARI, SF).
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 09-28-2007 at 11:00 PM.

I don't know about anybody else, but I would rather be 0 and 16, and 8 and 8. I can't stand being in contention to the last possible second, only to see my hopes dashed. I know this doesn't sound like a true fan, but that's the way I see it.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

By the way, with 8 divisions, how many division champs have there been over the last 4 years?

Answer: 18 - more than half the league has won a division.

IND x 4
    NE x 4
    SEA x 3 + 1 WILDCARD
    PHI x 3
    CHI x 2
    SD x 2
    BAL x 2

STL + 1 WILDCARD
    CAR + 1 WILDCARD
    NYG + 1 WILDCARD
    DEN + 2 WILDCARDS
    KC + 1 WILDCARD
    PIT + 1 WILDCARD
    GB
    TB
    NO
    ATL
    CIN

wildcards:

NYJ x 2
    DAL x 2
    JAX
    TEN
    WASH
    MIN

So, 24 different teams have been to the playoffs since Marvin took over with only 8 pathetic franchises (2 of which are pretty much expansion garbage) not making it (CLE, HOU, BUF, MIA, OAK, DET, ARI, SF).
    I'd contend that it is more difficult to win the AFC North than some of the NFC divisions making it a greater achievement. While I'm willing to give Marvin far more credit than you are, I do agree that we need to see some progress on the defensive side of the ball.

Turn Off Ads?