Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs. Alka Seltzer Birds

Re: Bengals vs. Alka Seltzer Birds

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I agree. I don't think the Bengals have necessarily been cheap. They've just been poor at allocating resources. I think it would have been wiser to let Justin Smith walk and spread some of that money around to raise the level of the defense. Instead they franchised him and tied up a lot of money in a guy who tends to disappear a lot. I think at some point, they can't afford to pay Palmer and CJ and TJ and Rudi and Willie Anderson and Levi Jones. They're going to have to free up some of that money to spend on defense. Personally I think Rudi is the easiest to replace. Big Willie will probably retire in the next few seasons, so he'll be gone too. Better use that money wisely.
    If we could ever get one of our young RBs to stay healthy!

I agree on Justin Smith.

I also question Dexter Jackson's worth at this point... ESPECIALLY against the pass.

2. Turn Off Ads?

What's Chris Perry's status?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    What's Chris Perry's status?

Injured, as always.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Injured, as always.
    Is there a timetable for his return?

Perry is on PUP, so I believe he is out the first 6 weeks of the year. Since he was close at the end of the preseason and Rudi has struggled, I expect that he'll be activated when he is eligible.

Do you really think Mike Brown is denying Marvin special teams player A over player B due to a few hundred thou?

One thing it seems that Mikey has rectified over the past few years is his unwillingness to open up the checkbook... a lot of big money and big contracts have been awarded recently to our best players...

don't the Bengals operate fairly close to the salary cap?
    Yeah, you guys are right. I thought the Bengals had a lot more cap space available.

Never mind.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I have a feeling that either Chad or TJ likely will be traded in the next two or three years. Receivers are a dime a dozen in the league and can be developed a lot easier than say a QB, so that will free up some money.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

The Bengals made another move to help improve special teams.

Keiwan Ratliff waived

The Bengals just announced that cornerback Keiwan Ratliff, their first of two second-round draft picks in 2004, has been waived.

The Bengals signed Blue Adams, formerly of the University of Cincinnati, in Ratliff's spot.

Adams had a neck injury in minicamp for the Bengals and was limited in the preseason and training camp. He was waived Sept. 1.
    http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs...iff-waived.asp

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Perry is on PUP, so I believe he is out the first 6 weeks of the year. Since he was close at the end of the preseason and Rudi has struggled, I expect that he'll be activated when he is eligible.
    That is right it is 6 weeks. I am not sure if that counts the bye week or not. If the bye week counts he could be back as early as the Jets game if he is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    That is right it is 6 weeks. I am not sure if that counts the bye week or not. If the bye week counts he could be back as early as the Jets game if he is healthy.
    It's six weeks, which includes the bye, so he could potentially be back by the sixth game.

I hate thinking about it, because he's evil, but getting Chris Henry back will make them that much better offensively.

I think Chris Perry's ready now (they weren't sure if they were going to PUP him to start the season), and if he can stay healthy, he'll be a big lift. It seems like they've got the offensive weapons on the horizon, yet I'm not jazzed about anyone on defense that they're missing, save for Thurman coming back (hopefully) next season.

It's like the eighties. Offense out the wazoo, and a defense with the same amount of nothing.

What's the deal with Cincinnati teams that can't stop anyone from scoring? DO they think that we as fans want that above all else?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Give us details, ced.
    I've seen some rude fans at Bengals games, but Seattle was the worst away experience yet. I had a female fan kick me in the calf and a guy with dip all over his teeth ridiculing a team I root for. He acted like he played.
    Also had a guy sitting by us that gave us high fives after Seattle went up 7-0. We laughed and said "that was a good drive". Just trying to be cordial and let him razz us a bit. After the Bengals scored we tried to give him a high five and he cussed at us.

Football is just getting worse every year with it's fans. People just don't respect the game and they feel like they have to get physical after watching such a physical game. It's a sloppy, drunk mess.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Bengals | Rob Oller commentary: Lewis could use pep talk at seminar
    Thursday, September 27, 2007 3:55 AM
    By Rob Oller

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

His team is underachieving. His attitude needs adjusting. His people skills need reshaping. His leadership needs fine-tuning.

It's time for Marvin Lewis to GET MOTIVATED. Zig Ziglar and his crew of Yes! men are here to help, judging from a full-page advertisement in yesterday's Dispatch.

For a total investment of just $4.95 -- or only $19 for the entire Bengals coaching staff -- Lewis can learn to:

• Get ahead and (more important, given the outcome of the past two games) stay ahead;

• Draft a clear blueprint for success (it's called developing a capable defense);

• Persuade (fans and media) that you know what you're doing (even if you don't).

Lewis has reached a plateau as an NFL coach since Mike Brown hired him in 2003. Hailed as a savior after an 8-8 record that first season, Lewis is 28-24 since, including 0-1 in the playoffs. Over the past 16 games -- the equivalent of a full season -- the Bengals are 6-10. That hardly cuts it in the NFL, where parity provides the opportunity to succeed beyond your wildest dreams.

Ziglar's lineup -- which includes Colin Powell; Steve Forbes; Dr. Robert Schuller; Archie Griffin and George Ross, right-hand man to Donald Trump -- undoubtedly understands what Lewis and the Bengals need to go from inconsistent win-losers into consistent win-winners.

Powell, whose specialty is leadership, could convince Lewis that leading is different from managing. Among Powell's power points:

How to remain focused in a crisis. Lewis froze in a loss Sunday in Seattle. He attempted a two-point conversion instead of the one-point kick after Cincinnati scored to take a 21-17 lead with 2:42 remaining. The rationale? If Seattle scored, which it went on to do, the score would remain tied if the Bengals could block the Seahawks' PAT attempt. Lewis failed to consider that by failing on the two-point conversion, the Bengals would need a field goal just to tie.
    Business expert Forbes could help Lewis finesse his people skills:

• The customer is always right. Lewis' assertion that the media don't deserve answers -- "I'm not going to try to explain it. That's our business," he said after a 51-45 loss to Cleveland two weeks ago -- is a slap at fans who rely on the media for information, the fans who shell out part of their paychecks to support the team. Forbes would point out that Lewis' patronizing and condescending attitude toward his "customers" is no way to conduct business.

Goal-achievement guru Schuller could teach Lewis:

• It's not how you start but how you finish. The bright side? The Bengals are 1-2 but have plenty of time to turn things around. The remaining nondivision schedule after Monday's game against New England is soft as cotton. Closing well, however, is not a given. Last season, the Bengals lost their last three games; a win in any of the three would have secured a playoff spot.

Griffin's humility and lack of arrogance wins him friends and admirers:

• "He's a better young man than a football player, and he's the best football player I've ever seen," former Ohio State coach Woody Hayes said of Griffin. Lewis' ego is enormous, which is fine except when it escapes. He's going to need friends someday. When that day arrives, he might regret mistreating the media.

Ross is a no-nonsense salesman whose negotiation strategies net results:

• Seal the deal without appeal. The Bengals' off-field problems of a year ago suggest that Lewis' "my way or the highway" message was getting lost in translation. So far this season, the police blotter is mostly blank. Now, if Lewis can just get the defense to do the right thing, which brings us to …

Ziglar is a master motivator, and he is big on:

• Putting people in position to succeed. The Bengals' defenders often can't get into the right position, period. Lewis arrived in Cincinnati as a defensive genius, yet the defense has been the weak link. Does he know talent when he sees it (other than when he looks in the mirror)?

Spending an hour with Zig and his zero-failure guys should do the trick for Lewis. If not -- well, it's none of our business. Right, Marvin?

Rob Oller is a sports reporter for The Dispatch.

roller@dispatch.com

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...K.html?sid=101

That's a terrible article.

Of course that's to be expected from Oller, who makes John Fay look like Jimmy Cannon.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

It may not win any prizes, but I'm glad to see the media starting to put some pressure on "The Savior."

And I, for one, couldn't agree more with calling out Marvin's surliness in press conferences.

Turn Off Ads?