Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs. Alka Seltzer Birds

Re: Bengals vs. Alka Seltzer Birds

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I've never seen a RB go down as easily as Shawn Alexander did Sunday.
    Except for Rudi Johnson on Sunday maybe.

Looks like a hell of a nice stadium though and it's in a great area.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I was at the game. Some terrible fans up there in Seattle and some great ones. I guess that is the way it works. I've never seen a RB go down as easily as Shawn Alexander did Sunday.

It's still amazing watching in person as Carson threads the needle. Opposing season ticket holding fans say he is the best they have ever seen. Good time.
    Give us details, ced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Let's not discount them getting Dorsey back. That guy's a player, and the only reason the Colts cut him was because of turf toe.

Yes, I'm grasping at straws.
    A friend of mine at work, who is as die-hard a Bengal fan as they come - his wife told me the other day that she hopes the Bengals win because he has been a BIG pain around the house - says that the injury to Rudi was the best thing to happen to the Bengals becaue their running game is now improved with Dorsey.

I think it was Jay Cutler I was listening to this morning on WLW (not sure); but I agree with his sentiment..... players(talent) is everything and coaching is secondary. Everyone's really giving Marvin a hard time right now, and claiming he's not a very good coach. But would this defense be better, and is it possible the Bengals could be 2-1, maybe 3-0, if they had Thurman and Pollack in there? As well as Henry on the offense? Haven't they also had some other injuries too? Coaches can't prerevent those.

If so, then Marvin would be hailed a genius.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    A friend of mine at work, who is as die-hard a Bengal fan as they come - his wife told me the other day that she hopes the Bengals win because he has been a BIG pain around the house - says that the injury to Rudi was the best thing to happen to the Bengals becaue their running game is now improved with Dorsey.

I think it was Jay Cutler I was listening to this morning on WLW (not sure); but I agree with his sentiment..... players(talent) is everything and coaching is secondary. Everyone's really giving Marvin a hard time right now, and claiming he's not a very good coach. But would this defense be better, and is it possible the Bengals could be 2-1, maybe 3-0, if they had Thurman and Pollack in there? As well as Henry on the offense? Haven't they also had some other injuries too? Coaches can't prerevent those.

If so, then Marvin would be hailed a genius.
    Every team has injuries. The Bengals have had plenty of time to replace Thurman and Pollack and haven't done so. Whose fault is that?
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

So, if Rudi is out, does Dorsey get his carries with Watson remaining the 3rd down back?

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    But they may have become one dimensional if Rudi is out and their running game has taken that huge of a hit. Even though he wasn't much of a threat last Sunday, it was because Seattle prepared for that and shut it down.

NE doesn't have to be that concerned in that area now. They can give far more attention to the passing defense.

I think you're overrating Rudi. I think just the opposite. I think the running game may do so well that Rudi will have to work doubly hard to regain playing time after the bye, which really isn't a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Every team has injuries. The Bengals have had plenty of time to replace Thurman and Pollack and haven't done so. Whose fault is that?
    It's awfully tough to replace 1st/2nd rd talent but Marvin has tried. He picked up Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft and Rashad Jeanty from Canada. He signed veteran Ed Hartwell. Unfortunately all were unable to play as well as Caleb Miller, a 3rd rd pick.

Last year's suspension of Odell was understandable. This year's is crazy. Who would have thought that a missed probation hearing would result in a year's suspension? I know I was caught off guard by that and I would think Marvin was too.

But really Marvin has tried to address the LBs.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    So, if Rudi is out, does Dorsey get his carries with Watson remaining the 3rd down back?
    I would expect Watson would be primary back and Dorsey will be a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    It's awfully tough to replace 1st/2nd rd talent but Marvin has tried. He picked up Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft and Rashad Jeanty from Canada. He signed veteran Ed Hartwell. Unfortunately all were unable to play as well as Caleb Miller, a 3rd rd pick.

Last year's suspension of Odell was understandable. This year's is crazy. Who would have thought that a missed probation hearing would result in a year's suspension? I know I was caught off guard by that and I would think Marvin was too.

But really Marvin has tried to address the LBs.
    But Marvin has constantly said he doesn't concern himself with people who aren't there (Thurman). So you assume he's not going to be around and, if he gets reinstated, you have a glut of LBs and go from there. Picking up Brooks was good, but relying on building with guys like Jeanty and Hartwell is kind of like the Reds constantly building a bullpen on retreads and minor league free agents. You occasionally find good value there, but to build a significant portion of a key unit of your team that way is doomed to failure over the long run.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think you're overrating Rudi. I think just the opposite. I think the running game may do so well that Rudi will have to work doubly hard to regain playing time after the bye, which really isn't a bad thing.
    I think Rudi may be/has become too comfortable with his "deserved" place/role on this team.

Maybe this will light a fire under his...
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I think Rudi may be/has become too comfortable with his "deserved" place/role on this team.

Maybe this will light a fire under his...
    They could try to confuse the D every once in awhile. Who doesn't know when Rudi is running? Bratkowski doesn't seem to be much of one for confusion by formation, which is all well and good when the hosses are just blowing people away, but that doesn't work week in and week out or season in and season out.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    They could try to confuse the D every once in awhile. Who doesn't know when Rudi is running? Bratkowski doesn't seem to be much of one for confusion by formation, which is all well and good when the hosses are just blowing people away, but that doesn't work week in and week out or season in and season out.
    Oh I agree with you.

And hopefully Bratkowski learns sooner rather than later that running Rudi to the outside plays away from Rudi's strengths...

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    But Marvin has constantly said he doesn't concern himself with people who aren't there (Thurman). So you assume he's not going to be around and, if he gets reinstated, you have a glut of LBs and go from there. Picking up Brooks was good, but relying on building with guys like Jeanty and Hartwell is kind of like the Reds constantly building a bullpen on retreads and minor league free agents. You occasionally find good value there, but to build a significant portion of a key unit of your team that way is doomed to failure over the long run.
    I agree. I don't think you can pin the defensive woes of the Bengals on the loss of Thurman and Pollack. They had plenty of time to shore up the defense. At the beginning of training camp this team looked thin.

Not to mention the lack of talent and experience on special teams. The Bengals have had some of the worst special teams play I've seen in a long time.

I see the cheapness of Mike Brown showing up in the background.

Which is too bad since Palmer, Chad, and TJ have played spectacularly. I cannot believe some of the threaded needle passes Palmer consistently throws. And catches TJ and Chad make. It's a shame it looks like its going to waste.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I agree. I don't think you can pin the defensive woes of the Bengals on the loss of Thurman and Pollack. They had plenty of time to shore up the defense. At the beginning of training camp this team looked thin.

Not to mention the lack of talent and experience on special teams. The Bengals have had some of the worst special teams play I've seen in a long time.

I see the cheapness of Mike Brown showing up in the background.

Which is too bad since Palmer, Chad, and TJ have played spectacularly. I cannot believe some of the threaded needle passes Palmer consistently throws. And catches TJ and Chad make. It's a shame it looks like its going to waste.
    Do you really think Mike Brown is denying Marvin special teams player A over player B due to a few hundred thou?

One thing it seems that Mikey has rectified over the past few years is his unwillingness to open up the checkbook... a lot of big money and big contracts have been awarded recently to our best players...

don't the Bengals operate fairly close to the salary cap?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Do you really think Mike Brown is denying Marvin special teams player A over player B due to a few hundred thou?

One thing it seems that Mikey has rectified over the past few years is his unwillingness to open up the checkbook... a lot of big money and big contracts have been awarded recently to our best players...

don't the Bengals operate fairly close to the salary cap?
    I agree. I don't think the Bengals have necessarily been cheap. They've just been poor at allocating resources. I think it would have been wiser to let Justin Smith walk and spread some of that money around to raise the level of the defense. Instead they franchised him and tied up a lot of money in a guy who tends to disappear a lot. I think at some point, they can't afford to pay Palmer and CJ and TJ and Rudi and Willie Anderson and Levi Jones. They're going to have to free up some of that money to spend on defense. Personally I think Rudi is the easiest to replace. Big Willie will probably retire in the next few seasons, so he'll be gone too. Better use that money wisely.

Turn Off Ads?