Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals vs. Alka Seltzer Birds

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Re: Bengals vs. Alka Seltzer Birds

I think we see the reason why Kenny Irons was drafted. I know he got injured, but Rudi isnt getting any younger. That being said, I don't see Watson being anything more than a split-carry back.

I'm starting to think that if this team underachieves again this season, injuries or not, Marvin should go. Think Tony Dungy for a minute. The guy has restored the franchise and should be given the key to the city, but he has yet to get them over the hump and contending on a regular basis in the playoffs. The Bucs had the same situation, let Dungy go, and with the small time frame they had left, got Jon Gruden to lead them to a Super Bowl ring.

The only difference between the Bengals and Bucs though is ownership. The Glazers went after the high profile candidate, while I fear that if Marvin is let go, SoP will likely go after some retread coach similar to what San Diego did with Norv Turner.

Another thing that concerns me is Carson Palmer maturing into a fourth quarter QB. Correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot remember him making any fourth quarter comebacks to win a game. I know Glenn Holt ruined the chance today, but I am thinking about last weeks game against Cleveland. Anytime Palmer has had a chance to lead the team downfield, he chokes.

I was thinking this team would go 8-8 again, which is unacceptable, but if they go 6-10 or worse, something REALLY needs to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Palmer led the Bengals to a touchdown with 3 minutes left in the game to take the lead.
    DLC11@Insightbb.com

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It's official. The Bungles are back.
    Michigan lol

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    , Another thing that concerns me is Carson Palmer maturing into a fourth quarter QB. Correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot remember him making any fourth quarter comebacks to win a game. Anytime Palmer has had a chance to lead the team downfield, he chokes.
    At Baltimore, 2005, comes immediately to mind. I'm fairly sure there are others.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LawFive View Post
    At Baltimore, 2005, comes immediately to mind. I'm fairly sure there are others.
    True, forgot about that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Stat geek...and proud

This team reminds me of the 2001 Indy Colts (Mora's PLAYOFFS? remark came from that team.) Great offense, but couldn't stop anybody, and shot themselves in the foot every time possible. Manning had 23 picks that year. Edge blew out his knee. Bad season all around for a Colts fan like myself. That season hurt more than some of the 1-15 or 3-13 seasons because you KNEW they were better than that.

That's your 2007 Bengals. You guys deserve better. It's been hard to be a Bengal fan the last what, 16 years or so? I know I had some hard years, (Jeff George, anyone?) but this is ridiculous.

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

There's no point in even discussing Marvin Lewis. Seriously, it doesn't even matter. Mike Brown gave Shula five years, how many years of 8-8 would it take for him to fire Marvin Lewis?

I don't think 8-8 would ever get a coach fired in Cincinnati. Probably not 6-10 or 7-9 either, and if you look at the Bengals schedule there is really no way they don't win at least six or seven games. Seriously, the last two weeks have been frustrating but they've been in every game this year, and while I expect that to change after next week I do think there are going to be plenty of wins to secure Marvin Lewis' job.

They honestly could probably go 3-13 and not see a coaching change. Mike Brown isn't someone who makes quick decisions, h has to be the most loyal owner in football. Unless Marvin starts putting up multiple 3-13s (unlikely with Carson Palmer here for the next decade or so) he's going to be the coach for a good long time regardless of fan opinion.

That said, this does suck, and I really don't understand going for two today, even though it ended up not mattering.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Here's what gets me -- Palmer looked all-world in the first half. At one point he was 14-15 and had hit on 10 consecutive passes. I think he finished the half at 15-20. Second half, he looked thoroughly mediocre and was barely a 50% passer at 12-23.

Like two different quarterbacks from 1st to 2nd half. Seattle clearly made the correct defensive adjustment and the Bengals had no answer.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

What's most discouraging is that they're not just a player or two away on defense. They are light years away from respectability. They have few players that would get much playing time on a decent defense. They need a complete overhaul and in the NFL, trading is not going to get you what you need in return.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

One of the things I have been stewing on since reading the excuses given by Bresnihan and Lewis for last week's defensive debacle is that they claim that it was blown assignments (duh) and guys out of position (another duh). Bresnihan was asked if it was fixable, he said it was. Today, the D was improved, but why I do not know. Same personnel, same scheme. So why were they better today, and what was Bresnihan doing in camp and practice the week before the Browns' game? Why couldn't he communicate changes to them during the game?

In other words, all the explanations did was attempt to say "basically, our players were confused and had no idea what they were doing" in a way that made it sound like the players' responsibility. But it seems to me that the coach's job is to educate his players in such a way that they are not confused and know what they are doing. It is not a talent issue to see guys go running past dbacks into unmanned zones week after week.

But, are we gonna see "Marvin will be fired" after each loss? I mean, I suppose you have a 50/50 chance of being right, but...
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-23-2007 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    What's most discouraging is that they're not just a player or two away on defense. They are light years away from respectability. They have few players that would get much playing time on a decent defense. They need a complete overhaul and in the NFL, trading is not going to get you what you need in return.
    Four names for Bengals fans to remember: Odell Thurman, David Pollack, Chris Perry, Kenny Irons.

Thats 4 draft selections that aren't contributing on defense for one reason or another -- in the case of the latter two, because the team inexplicably decided not to draft defensive help.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

Not a defensive issue, but I really can't wait to get Chris Henry back. The lack of a good third receiver is really hurting because everything has to go to TJ and Chad, and it's not helping their special teams to have Skylar Green and Glenn Holt playing on offense as well as special teams.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    in the case of the latter two, because the team inexplicably decided not to draft defensive help.
    Inexplicably? Hardly. I think the difference we saw between Rudi's rushes and Kenny's rushes today were a great example of why they drafted Perry and Irons. The change of pace back allows the Bengals to be more effective while rushing the ball, thus keeping the offense on the field longer, forcing the opposing defense to respect a speed back, and ultimately scoring more points. While you may not agree with drafting that over defensive help, it's not inexplicable.

On a different note, did I hear Ed Hochuli (sp?) correctly after the Hasselbeck "incompletion" on that game winning drive? Apparently, the play couldn't be reviewed because the defense recovered the fumble, despite no fumble being ruled on the field. So basically because the defense did its job too well (and not even being credited for it), it couldn't be reviewed. What the hell kind of rule is that?!

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I think we see the reason why Kenny Irons was drafted. I know he got injured, but Rudi isnt getting any younger. That being said, I don't see Watson being anything more than a split-carry back.

I'm starting to think that if this team underachieves again this season, injuries or not, Marvin should go. Think Tony Dungy for a minute. The guy has restored the franchise and should be given the key to the city, but he has yet to get them over the hump and contending on a regular basis in the playoffs. The Bucs had the same situation, let Dungy go, and with the small time frame they had left, got Jon Gruden to lead them to a Super Bowl ring.

The only difference between the Bengals and Bucs though is ownership. The Glazers went after the high profile candidate, while I fear that if Marvin is let go, SoP will likely go after some retread coach similar to what San Diego did with Norv Turner.

Another thing that concerns me is Carson Palmer maturing into a fourth quarter QB. Correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot remember him making any fourth quarter comebacks to win a game. I know Glenn Holt ruined the chance today, but I am thinking about last weeks game against Cleveland. Anytime Palmer has had a chance to lead the team downfield, he chokes.

I was thinking this team would go 8-8 again, which is unacceptable, but if they go 6-10 or worse, something REALLY needs to be done.
    I'm with you regarding everything but Carson's late game performance. To say he chokes late in the game is an absolute joke. He has 10 come from behind 4th quarter wins, to go along with numerous games where he has put the team in position to win only to have something go wrong. (Think Denver and Pittsburgh last year). There are a lot of things wrong with the team and organization, but the man under center is certainly NOT one of them, especially with the game on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Inexplicably? Hardly. I think the difference we saw between Rudi's rushes and Kenny's rushes today were a great example of why they drafted Perry and Irons. The change of pace back allows the Bengals to be more effective while rushing the ball, thus keeping the offense on the field longer, forcing the opposing defense to respect a speed back, and ultimately scoring more points. While you may not agree with drafting that over defensive help, it's not inexplicable.
    No doubt Kenny Irons and Chris Perry would help keep the offense on the field.

The issue is more akin to someone who buys chrome plating for his car while ignoring the leaky roof and dead furnace in his house.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?