Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod "Potentially redefining the term 'franchise player' "

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

A-Rod "Potentially redefining the term 'franchise player' "

This would be absolutely ridiculous if it happened, no player is worth this much, IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3033203

Alex Rodriguez might redefine the term "franchise player."

New York Magazine reported on Sunday that the Yankees third baseman could end up with the Chicago Cubs next season with a blockbuster contract that includes an ownership stake in the team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A-Rod "Potentially redefining the term 'franchise player' "

this is tampering.. if his agent is talking to ANY other team, Boras should be fined by MLB and kicked out of the league!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    this is tampering.. if his agent is talking to ANY other team, Boras should be fined by MLB and kicked out of the league!!
    He isn't talking to the Cubs. He is talking to the possible buyers of the Cubs.

He is skirting the tampering rule because the Cubs are for sale and his agent is talking to the prospective new owner not the current owner of record.

I agree its a little shady and if it all plays out I wonder where the Yankees would take it. It would be ironic if A-Rod's ownership interest in his new team would cost that team a huge fine for tampering. If so, as a member of ownership it would come out of his pocket. I wonder if the agent will kick in his percentage.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I was watching an interview with Boras yesterday. They were talking about Arod, as well as other players he represents.

Listening to whom, the guy has made millions at being one heck of a BS artist.

The Giants certainly got their moneys worth with Zito, who, according to Boras in an interview last year, said Barry would go down as one of the greatest LHers in the game.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Yankees' executive Randy Levine responded harshly to the magazine piece.

"It's a silly story, and we don't believe it," he told ESPN.com's Buster Olney on Sunday evening. "However, if it was true, it would be grounds to disqualify the applicant even before he went through the process, because it would demonstrate a disregard for major league rules and procedures, and we're confident the commissioner would feel the same way."

Levine later said he spoke to Bud Selig, and the commissioner agreed with Levine's interpretation of the story, and its possible implications. A player can neither have part ownership of a team nor negotiate for future ownership.
    The path is already well-marked in the rules. I trust Bud will find it and follow it as it is marked. There's no way he will let an active player have an ownership stake.
    /r/reds

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Actually, it's not....these potential new owners of the Cubs aren't part of baseball....

Yet.

The points are that
    1) Arod will likely opt of his Yankee contract
    2) Boras will find someone to give him even MORE money.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

This is about leverage and Boras drawing a line in the sand to make it known the kind of deal he expects for his client. He doesn't want the Yankees to think they're the only ones who can afford or are even interested in his client's services, because that would eliminate the possibility of a bidding war.

I'm sure Boras knows the rules about an ownership stake. Whispering that phrase into a few baseball writers ears is a much more tantalizing way to grab headlines than saying that he wants A-Rod's suitors to open their wallets wide.
    /r/reds

Haunted by walks

Ted Turner was not allowed to be an owner-manager. I'm sure it'll be some kind of deferred ownership thing, but if it's in the contract, I'd think baseball would not allow it.

Maybe A-Rod should start his own league.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    The path is already well-marked in the rules. I trust Bud will find it and follow it as it is marked. There's no way he will let an active player have an ownership stake.
    I agree. This is not the NHL. Major League Baseball isn't so desparate as to need a Mario Lemieux exception. The system works best with players and management on opposite sides of the table. If ARod wants to own a team, he should retire.

Personally, I think Boras takes too much heat for being unethical. My understanding is that he's a tough negotiator and advocate for his clients, but isn't in the Drew Rosenhaus category of slime.

I don't like this though. It doesn't violate the letter of the rules, but it violates the spirit. A-rod has a duty of loyalty to his current club, until the contract runs out. If an agent is putting out informal off-the-record feelers, that's one thing. But Boras should have known that this was going to get out. Considering it's possible that the Cubs/Yanks will meet in the world series, he is doing damage to the game by setting this in motion.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

The biggest problem Boras has is that he's the smartest guy in the room and he bullies people intellectually, with is primary principal being maximizing his client's contract values. He's basically a really good lawyer. He often makes arguments with flawed or inconsistent logic, there's just rarely anybody around to challenge him. He just needs to convince one team that he's right, which he usually does.

For example, he discussed the value of the production the Rays got from Pena, using 15M as his number. However, the value of production only makes sense in the context of free agency. If all players were free agents, which Pena is not, then the value of that production would be less because the supply would be greater. Ironically, Carlos Pena's production is only worth 15M in a system where it's possible to get Carlos Pena level production from a player who's salary is not significantly affected by market forces (pre and early arbitration). The entire basis of his argument is flawed, but I haven't seen anybody argue it.

ARod might be "worth" $30M from a revenue generation and production valuation standpoint. But the market can be set at will by its participants. ARod is only really worth as much as somebody is willing to pay him. If the 2nd most any team is willing to pay him is $20,000,000, than nobody should be willing to offer more than $20,000,000.01. If Boras gets a team to bid against itself for ARod's service yet again, that's just sad.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 09-24-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Maybe A-Rod should start his own league.
    Sounds good to me.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Considering it's possible that the Cubs/Yanks will meet in the world series
    I was distracted from the main point of the thread by this snippet. And now I am sad.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The biggest problem Boras has is that he's the smartest guy in the room and he bullies people intellectually, with is primary principal being maximizing his client's contract values. He's basically a really good lawyer. He often makes arguments with flawed or inconsistent logic, there's just rarely anybody around to challenge him. He just needs to convince one team that he's right, which he usually does.
    "Biggest problem"????

Man,that's no problem,if you are Boras or the people he represents.

I don't know who said that a trial is a contest to determine who has the best lawyer, but they were right.

Turn Off Ads?