Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manager Sweepstakes

Re: Manager Sweepstakes

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    Ever listen to Girardi on Fox or Yes? He has a high opinion of himself. I doubt if that act would work with the oh hum atitude that the players have here.
    Ramp101 is a great poster here, and is a BIG Marlins fan, and he has gone on record saying Girardi was worse than Narron.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Why does everyone hate Baker?
    He is a three time manager of year winner. The guy finished first or second 9 of 14 years managing, and took the Giants to the seventh game of the World Series and was a Bartman fan blunder from taking the Cubs to the World Series.
    He has won 103 games once, and at least 90 five times.
    I'm not sure he should be manager next year, but some people act like he's the second coming of Vern Rapp.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He is a three time manager of year winner. The guy finished first or second 9 of 14 years managing, and took the Giants to the seventh game of the World Series and was a Bartman fan blunder from taking the Cubs to the World Series.
    I'm not sure he should be manager next year, but some people act like he's the second coming of Vern Rapp.
    His biggest goal is ruining a starting pitcher's arm, it seems.

I'd rather Bailey be Jewish and turn him over to the Nazis than allow Dusty Baker to control Homer Bailey's pitch count (slight exaggeration... SLIGHT!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

My biggest concern about Dusty is his history with pitchers' arms (check out Kerry Woods and Mark Prior for starters).

However as one of those who dates back to when the '70's when Reds vs. Dodgers were the nearest thing of their day to Yanks vs. RedSox today, it would be tough for me to get used to Dusty in a Reds uniform. And that is meant as a compliment. I preferred to see Garvey or Cey, or a few years later Pedro Guerrero up there for the Dodgers in a tight situation instead of having to face Dusty.

But then Mike Scioscia doesn't look all that bad in Red these days, so if Dusty's results with the Reds were similar to Scioscia with the Angels, I could learn to accept him in Red.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Besides ruining the arms of promising pitchers, the other huge problem I have with Baker is that he doesn't value On-Base Percentage. This is a guy who wanted Cesar Izturis, Tony Womack, Ronny Cedeno and Neifi Perez on the roster at the same time!

"On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage, clogging up the bases isn't that great to me". Baker said this after he was asked if he thought his team needed to walk more, since they had only a .318 OBP. This quote shows a complete lack of understanding for the game, and is proof that Baker should never go near a team as manager again.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    1)D.Johnson
    2)J.Girardie(spelling)Marlins old manager
    3)L.Mazzone(learned form Cox,worth a shot)
    4)B.Hatcher(yes before Mac,I thought he should have been given it before Mac.)
    5)B.Larkin

Theres my list.A little out of the norm of the way most think.But i believe any of those would make a great manager.Whats your list?
    you are kidding about your list, right? are you trying for sarcasm?
    Last edited by ThirdBaseCoach; 09-30-2007 at 05:54 PM.

dusty blew their chances in 2003 and went downhill from there until utter collapse in 2006. he would play neffie perez every day if he had the chance.

Boom Goes the Dynamite Screwball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage, clogging up the bases isn't that great to me".
    That's probably the most absurd thing I've ever heard a manager say. It really does boggle the mind how somebody could be involved in a sport for that long, and still have such a gross misunderstanding of the game. Clogging up the bases?? He must be reading too much reds.com.

How soon do the Reds name a Manager?

Now that the season is complete. How soon do the Reds name a Manager? Obviously it will be after the World Series. By Thanksgiving? RedsFest? Christmas? January?

My thought is they will have someone in place by the first of December as a good prelude to RedsFest.

Although I liked what Mackanin and really wouldn't mind seeing him back. I think if he was going to be the man, he would already have the job, i.e. Cecil Cooper in Houston.

I think they go for a big name and possibly someone not expected like Dusty Baker, Ken Macha or Bobby Valentine.

My choice would be Macha.

Re: How soon do the Reds name a Manager?

Hopefully, as soon as Dave Johnson says yes.

I think by Thanksgiving and I'm hoping for Bob Brenly or LaRussa.

Please dear God not Dusty Baker...

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Hopefully, as soon as Dave Johnson says yes.
    I heard Daugherty talking to Davey Johnson maybe 6 weeks ago. Davey did not seem at all interested. Says he is very happy and committed to doing what he is doing now (running the Dutch national team for the Olympics etc). He went so far as to say they needed to be looking inside their org for a person who had knowledge of the peronnel. Anyone want to take a guess at who (if anybody) he was trying to speak up for? He did not offer any names; and, I am clueless.

As far as timing of the hire, most the talking and writing heads have said they expect it to be quick, whatever that means. From some of the context, I would say they think before the WorldSeries or right after at the latest. (I believe Mr. Selig's unofficial protocols allow for managerial announements on off days and between series). My question about this is if they are waiting for Mr. LaRussa to make up his mind at least 2 different ways before coming to Reds could even be near the top of his list, how quick is that?

I imagine the manager search will begin in earnest after the World Series is over

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I imagine the manager search will begin in earnest after the World Series is over
    I think the only way it takes that long is if they are still waiting for LaRussa to use the proverbial pot or get off of it.

The other thing that could stretch it out is if they were waiting to talk to a coach with one of the still active teams. But even in that situation there figure to be breaks between the levels when they could get a guy in for interview.

Turn Off Ads?