Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: If you were UC, what would you do?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep Nippert stadium as it is.

9 33.33%
  • Renovate Nippert, adding seating.

16 59.26%
  • Build a new stadium for UC football.

2 7.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time for a new Nippert stadium?

Time for a new Nippert stadium?

I have been wondering about this for the past few years. In years past when UC football was selling 20,000 seats, and the games never sold out people didn't really consider a new UC football stadium. I personally love Nippert stadium. I think it is a very good family friendly atmosphere. The downside is when UC has years like this year, where the tickets are selling like hotcakes. Seeing the student section at the other night's UC game was awesome. I love how much UC students support their teams.

All of that brings me to my point. Does the University of Cincinnati need a new football stadium, or atleast need to add about 10,000 seats to the current one. My awnser is yes to adding seats. I don't think that this university is in any condition to build a new stadium, though I do think that would have the greatest benefit.

My next question is if we did build a new stadium, where would it be? This campus is already overloaded with stuff. Maybe they could play at PBS for 2 or 3 years. I know they already play some games at PBS, but they need a stadium near, if not on campus, that can seat all the fans that want to come to the games.

I want to hear your thoughts.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Time for a new Nippert stadium?

No way. When the Bearcats sell out for 2 consecutive seasons, contact me about the need for a new stadium or stadium expansion.

They've made a lot of nice improvements on the campus in the last decade or so. Leave the campus alone.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Yeah, let's not get the cart before the horse. Let them have a few seasons of success and sell-outs before we cross that bridge.

Not to mention UC has gotten themselves into a financial pickle with the recent building splurges.

Pay attention to the open sky

Why not just have them share with the Bengals if space becomes an issue? other Universities do it.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Why not just have them share with the Bengals if space becomes an issue? other Universities do it.
    That's why I pointed out that a university would be better suited having a stadium that was closer to campus. Students are usto having all the stuff they need right at their fingertips at college. Paul Brown is pretty far from UC.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    No way. When the Bearcats sell out for 2 consecutive seasons, contact me about the need for a new stadium or stadium expansion.

They've made a lot of nice improvements on the campus in the last decade or so. Leave the campus alone.
    The rest of the season is within a few hundred seats of selling out as well. So there will be three more sellouts this year.

That said, it's still premature to be talking about expanding Nippert. I think the biggest driver will be the season-ticket sales for 2008. There's only ~8,000 season tickets sold this year. It probably needs to exceed 20,000 before expansion becomes a priority. If they more than double, and that's a real possibility, then I think an expanded Nippert is the best option.

UC can probably find a way to add another 10,00 seats there, but not many more than that. Space is tight all around the stadium. The north endzone butts up against the rec center, the side opposite the pressbox has the most room but already has the second deck. The pressbox side is very close to a recently renovated TUC. The south endzone has CCM to deal with. Any expansion will be an engineering and architecture nightmare, but it is possible. Also, UC has PBS at its disposal for really large draws. OSU and Oklahoma are slated to play there in the coming years. It isn't a long term solution because it isn't as accessible to students.

The biggest priority is ensuring Brian Kelly stays for a very long time. Everything after that are details.
    Last edited by paintmered; 09-24-2007 at 06:19 PM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    That's why I pointed out that a university would be better suited having a stadium that was closer to campus. Students are usto having all the stuff they need right at their fingertips at college. Paul Brown is pretty far from UC.
    I just think it would be a tremendous waste of money to build a new football stadium when one is available down by the river, besides UC's campus doesn't seem to have a ton of open space ready for a new stadium.
    Go Gators!

I think they should keep Nippert, but expanding is a few years out of the discussion IMO. Lets face it, if you ask a people about the history of UC football, especially outside of Cincy, they would look at you and probably say something like isn't it a realitively new program? People don't know how old the program is. Playing at the same location since 1902 is something that isn't heard of, and UC has kept the stadium up to date exceptionally well. What does it mean to play in the same stadium for that long? Probably not a whole lot, especially in UC's case, but it is something I would hate to see them get rid of. Just my opinion though.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I just think it would be a tremendous waste of money to build a new football stadium when one is available down by the river, besides UC's campus doesn't seem to have a ton of open space ready for a new stadium.
    I understand the lack of space. I pointed that out in the beginning. I also understand the financial situation, especially after Varsity Village. I sort of wrote this to see what the view on Nippert stadium was for the future.

My only concern is that UC basketball is going to get a new arena before UC football gets a new stadium. If that happens I won't be happy. I have no problem keeping Nippert Stadium if we can't continue to fill that though.

I am also wondering what kinds of crowds this team could get if they were top 10-15 in the country, and were facing OSU at PBS. Does anybody think we could fill that place. I certainly do. They would have to use the endzone seats for the student sections.
    -LTlabner

I am also wondering what kinds of crowds this team could get if they were top 10-15 in the country, and were facing OSU at PBS. Does anybody think we could fill that place. I certainly do. They would have to use the endzone seats for the student sections.
    The 2002 UC/OSU game at PBS sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Let's expand PBS!!! I'm joking, of course.
    -LTlabner

Thanks to OSU
    because at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up--Marty B.

2013 record:
    GABP: 1-1 Wrigley: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by OSUredsFAN View Post
    Thanks to OSU
    Were any of you at the game in 2002?
    -LTlabner

Were any of you at the game in 2002?

Then tell me, what was the ratio, Bearcat fans, to OSU fans.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?