Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Heroes is back

Re: Heroes is back

Yeah Syler is a bad guy who everyone likes...its pretty cool

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by stevekun View Post
    Yeah Syler is a bad guy who everyone likes...its pretty cool
    Personally I find Sylar to be a big wiener and was hoping he was done with at the end of last season. I find whoever is stalking the "Gang of 8" to be far more interesting. And then there is the Boogieman. And the Company.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Last week's episode was excellent and tonight's was fantastic. Sylar's return was expected, but the twist on his return was first rate. However, we need to consider that Zachary Quinto ("Sylar") is soon to play Spock in the next Star Trek film so what's happened to him is simply logical (yes, intended "Spock" reference).

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Personally I find Sylar to be a big wiener and was hoping he was done with at the end of last season. I find whoever is stalking the "Gang of 8" to be far more interesting. And then there is the Boogieman. And the Company.
    Actually, I like Sylar as a character. Uber-powerful. Jealous to a fault, overconfident, impetuous, and relentless. I really appreciate the performance by Quinto- who, IMHO, manifests a character with more infinitely more humanity and depth than anything Hayden Christensen could muster with Anakin Skywalker during the Star Wars prequels. Yeah, Christensen's portrayal is a low bar, but IMO Quinto absolutely nailed the essence of Sylar. Even tonight, he portrayed the same psychopathic behavior we've come to expect from this character.

And I also find the systematic elimination protocol of the "Gang of 8" very interesting. And here's a theory...

We've already met Takezo Sensei (played by David Anders). We know that he regenerates. But does that mean he can't be killed period? Is he immortal? This might be a stretch, but is it possible that Takezo Sensei is actually Claire's father- passing on his gift to his daughter? If so, might he be a bit grumpy that his daughter was ripped away by the "Company"?

Again, just a thought but if Takezo Sensei is more than just a bit character, it's plausible especially since the death of Kaito Nakamura occurred via the "bad guy" leaping with him off the building. Either the bad guy can fly or he can absorb pretty much any impact or injury. And let's consider the final target. Hmn...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Last week's episode was excellent and tonight's was fantastic. Sylar's return was expected, but the twist on his return was first rate. However, we need to consider that Zachary Quinto ("Sylar") is soon to play Spock in the next Star Trek film so what's happened to him is simply logical (yes, intended "Spock" reference).

Actually, I like Sylar as a character. Uber-powerful. Jealous to a fault, overconfident, impetuous, and relentless. I really appreciate the performance by Quinto- who, IMHO, manifests a character with more infinitely more humanity and depth than anything Hayden Christensen could muster with Anakin Skywalker during the Star Wars prequels. Yeah, Christensen's portrayal is a low bar, but IMO Quinto absolutely nailed the essence of Sylar. Even tonight, he portrayed the same psychopathic behavior we've come to expect from this character.

And I also find the systematic elimination protocol of the "Gang of 8" very interesting. And here's a theory...

We've already met Takezo Sensei (played by David Anders). We know that he regenerates. But does that mean he can't be killed period? Is he immortal? This might be a stretch, but is it possible that Takezo Sensei is actually Claire's father- passing on his gift to his daughter? If so, might he be a bit grumpy that his daughter was ripped away by the "Company"?

Again, just a thought but if Takezo Sensei is more than just a bit character, it's plausible especially since the death of Kaito Nakamura occurred via the "bad guy" leaping with him off the building. Either the bad guy can fly or he can absorb pretty much any impact or injury. And let's consider the final target. Hmn...
    I don't think my problem with Sylar is the actor. It's just that the way his character is written, he's just an incredible ******bag. He seems to want powers like a comic book collector wants rare comic books. All he really cares about is collecting powers. Every time he takes someone out, I keep hearing the classic line from those zombie movies "Braaaaains, Braaaains....Must have BRAAAAAIIIINS!" It's like he wants all these powers but has no real idea of what he wants to do with them.

I thought they already established that Nathan Petrelli is Claire's real dad, but youneverknow. I was thinking that Kensei is probably a common ancestor of Hiro and the Petrelli family and, therefore, Claire.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I don't think my problem with Sylar is the actor. It's just that the way his character is written, he's just an incredible ******bag. He seems to want powers like a comic book collector wants rare comic books. All he really cares about is collecting powers. Every time he takes someone out, I keep hearing the classic line from those zombie movies "Braaaaains, Braaaains....Must have BRAAAAAIIIINS!" It's like he wants all these powers but has no real idea of what he wants to do with them.
    Hey! I'm still looking for a reasonably priced copy of X-Men #1!

I understand where you're coming from on Sylar, but it's pretty clear to me that he just wants to be the most powerful being on Earth because he's got...well...issues.

I thought they already established that Nathan Petrelli is Claire's real dad, but youneverknow. I was thinking that Kensei is probably a common ancestor of Hiro and the Petrelli family and, therefore, Claire.
    Yep, we think that Nathan Petrelli is Claire's father, but I wonder now considering that Kensei has now demonstrated powers that are identical to Claire's. I'm not sure that they'd have written those powers to be identical if there wasn't a reason. You're explanation of "common ancestor" could certainly be spot-on as well. But that's the fun of talking about this stuff and that's exactly what the creators of the show wanted- a "buzz".

This show is fun. Big time. It keeps us guessing and it keeps us involved. IMHO, it's the best show on TV right now because of that.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Hey! I'm still looking for a reasonably priced copy of X-Men #1!

I understand where you're coming from on Sylar, but it's pretty clear to me that he just wants to be the most powerful being on Earth because he's got...well...issues.

Yep, we think that Nathan Petrelli is Claire's father, but I wonder now considering that Kensei has now demonstrated powers that are identical to Claire's. I'm not sure that they'd have written those powers to be identical if there wasn't a reason. You're explanation of "common ancestor" could certainly be spot-on as well. But that's the fun of talking about this stuff and that's exactly what the creators of the show wanted- a "buzz".

This show is fun. Big time. It keeps us guessing and it keeps us involved. IMHO, it's the best show on TV right now because of that.
    I'm intrigued by the fact that Claire's new boyfriend has the same power that her real dad has. Is that a sign that they may be related? We now have two instances where the same power is repeated although Kensei and Claire lived hundreds of years apart, Nathan and Claire-bear's boy are contemporaries. Do the same powers recur in the same family tree or do they occur randomly?

I agree. Heroes and Lost make me think about things on a much deeper level than other shows.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Just my theory... I think that jungle Sylar is in is a hallucination he created for himself after he ate the brains, since he always has an adjustment period after he takes someones powers.

I also think the major storyline for Peter will be a Star Wars-esque decision between choosing the dark side or the righteous path for his powers. He already helped someone pull off a robbery, but he also let the guy go when he could have killed him, which would symbolically be the ultimate step into the evil use of powers.

This show was great this week though. Oh yeah, I also really hate these 2 new brother-sister characters with the bleeding eyes. They're my equivalent of Nikki and Paolo from Lost. I'll give them a little more time to develop a real story though, but right now their appearances have been pretty annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    This show was great this week though. Oh yeah, I also really hate these 2 new brother-sister characters with the bleeding eyes. They're my equivalent of Nikki and Paolo from Lost. I'll give them a little more time to develop a real story though, but right now their appearances have been pretty annoying.
    Razzle Dazzle!

Actually I don't think they're as bad as Nikki and Paolo. I think it's interesting that they're twins and one's power counteracts the other's. The only think that creeps me out about it is that it makes me think of the "black oil" thing in the eyes from X-Files.

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I also think the major storyline for Peter will be a Star Wars-esque decision between choosing the dark side or the righteous path for his powers. He already helped someone pull off a robbery, but he also let the guy go when he could have killed him, which would symbolically be the ultimate step into the evil use of powers.
    He didn't do that on his own; they made him do it.

I have a feeling the twins are going to play a big role, otherwise, they wouldn't be spending so much time laying the groundwork for their characters.

Also, it appeared to me that Silar thought his new power would take him where ever he wanted to go, e.g., London, Paris. Instead, it only creates the illusion of being in these places (or did I misinterpret it?).

I don't get the Molly story line. I must have missed something.
    Last edited by TeamBoone; 10-09-2007 at 02:35 AM.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I don't get the Molly story line. I must have missed something.
    She was the Company's tracking system last year. She can locate anyone she thinks about, except for the Bogeyman (the one who is supposed to be worse than Sylar), who can see her when she thinks about him.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

Also, it appeared to me that Silar thought his new power would take him where ever he wanted to go, e.g., London, Paris. Instead, it only creates the illusion of being in these places (or did I misinterpret it?).
    I am very sure you are correct. The lady who he got the power from (her name escapes me) dealt in illusions (ie, becoming Sylar, the twins, etc.) - the illusion included the beach.
    I for one like the Sylar character, as well. Yeah, he is a bit comic bookish - but there are dabs of that throughout the show.

And am I crazy, or was that Nichelle Nichols as Nikki's mother in law (say that five times fast)? Could we be witnessing a Star Trek reunion here?
    In fact, I would not be surprised if she was one of the elders with a power - and, again, we have met three of those elders, right, if this is correct (herself, George Takei, and Cristine Rose). All three have been in ST (herself and George - rather obvious, Rose appearing in parts one and two of ST:TNG's Birthright episodes).
    In fact, if Linderman (Malcome McDowell) was an elder - there is yet another Star Trek connection.
    I know that has nothing to do with the plot itself - but I find connections like that rather fascinating.

Razzle Dazzle!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I was underwhelmed by the S1 finale and I've been found the first 3 episodes of S2 to be snoozers. The rest of my family bailed out on the show after last season. I'll stick with it for another episode or two to see if this season improves.

The show I'm liking much better than Heroes is Journeyman, which follows Heroes on NBC. It's my favorite new show of the season.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post

The show I'm liking much better than Heroes is Journeyman, which follows Heroes on NBC. It's my favorite new show of the season.
    Yeah I'm a big fan of the Quantum Leap clone myself
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I was underwhelmed by the S1 finale

Wow, I thought the season finale was incredible, a perfect end to a great season.

And I like Journeyman too. It's nice to see Vorenus back on his feet.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?