Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Give the gold to Silva

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Give the gold to Silva

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    You're dreaming if you think you're going to get league-average pitching for those prices these days -- unless you're counting on that thing you decry so much in evaluating Silva -- luck. The only way the Reds run into cheap league-average pitching from outside the system is to get a highly unpredictable performance from somebody on the scrap heap.

I'll take the expensive league-average bird in the hand over the cheap ones out there in the bushes.
    Overpaying for a #4 or #5 SP makes little sense for the Reds, when they'll get similiar and cheaper results from the likes of Belisle, Bailey, Cueto and possibly Gosling, Livingston, Saarloos, and Shearn.

Now if Carlos Silva was more capable of an ERA closer to 4 than 5, and a K:BB better than 3:1, and a K/9 above 5, and could handle a pitch load closer to 100/GS, rather than the 87/GS he's averaged over his career, then I might consider him worth more than 3 Million a year. Unfortunately, his ERA is a deceiving number, his K:BB is closer to 2 than 3, his K/9 is under 4, and he doesn't go deep into ball games, which would mean we'd see a lot more of the bullpen on games he started. None of those things excite me for over 3 Million a year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Carlos Silva signing with the Reds would cause a loathing from me akin to the Randa signing (for different reasons - Randa because he was a supposed luxury the Reds did not need at the time with equal in house replacements and money that could have been spent elsewhere - Silva because he's not that good and will be overpaid in this market)
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

IMO the only two things worse than giving Silva a juicy 4 year contract would be giving Milton another juicy 4 year contract or Castro a juicy 4 year contract.

Silva is good when he is lucky. Gives up lots of hits and doesn't strike anyone out. If we are that desperate put Shearn in the rotation.

So, if not Silva, who is available that can fit that GABP model of Starting Pitching?

Hey, Tom Shearn's done it with smoke and mirrors. Why not Shearn for the #5 <end wishful thinking>
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    So, if not Silva, who is available that can fit that GABP model of Starting Pitching?

Hey, Tom Shearn's done it with smoke and mirrors. Why not Shearn for the #5 <end wishful thinking>
    In Free Agency, nobody. Sucks huh?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    In Free Agency, nobody. Sucks huh?
    The double suck is that BCast, in an effort to appease the masses, will think he HAS to sign one in FA.

The double suck is that BCast, in an effort to appease the masses, will think he HAS to sign one in FA.
    Exactly, the only thing worse than not adding a starter via FA this year would be adding a starter via FA.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Then we'll see him for 34 starts

Yahoo..Milton2
    Go Gators!

I'll take the heat if Silva stinks in the years ahead. But if he produces, be prepared for many an annoying I-told-you-so, especially if the Reds don't get him and are still pitching starved. Be prepared!

In the meantime, feel free to step up and start a thread pimping a pitcher you'd like to see ride into Cincy in 08, and how you'd get him there.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I'll take the heat if Silva stinks in the years ahead. But if he produces, be prepared for many an annoying I-told-you-so, especially if the Reds don't get him and are still pitching starved. Be prepared!

In the meantime, feel free to step up and start a thread pimping a pitcher you'd like to see ride into Cincy in 08, and how you'd get him there.
    Brandon Webb. With Guns.

You better be ready to take some heat.

You better be ready to take some heat.
    Oh yeah. Makes it fun.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Johnny Cueto, acquired via promotion from Louisville. :-P

Turn Off Ads?