Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Barry Bonds ball is going to Cooperstown with an asterisk

The Barry Bonds ball is going to Cooperstown with an asterisk

The votes have been tallied and the ball is getting tattoed with an asterisk!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Barry Bonds ball is going to Cooperstown with an asterisk

I am embarrassed by the people that voted to put an asterisk on it.
    Last edited by Heath; 09-27-2007 at 01:56 PM.

I think it's great. Yeah, he broke the record, but fairly??? Umm....

I dont know how anyone could think its great honestly.

pretty sad. The message the asterisk ball is sending? " Hey kids, don't cheat if your going to break records, other-wise, it's cool".

Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Goten View Post
    pretty sad. The message the asterisk ball is sending? " Hey kids, don't cheat if your going to break records, other-wise, it's cool".

Very sad.
    It's not sending that message at all.

Unfortunately, no Troy Glaus memorabilia is going to Cooperstown.
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I think its the same as if they took a pair of ty cobb cleats and sanded the cleats down or if they gaylord perry ball and covered it with vasaline or branded KY JELLY into it.

I just dont like the idea of destroying or marking up history. Let the ball think for its self.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    I think its the same as if they took a pair of ty cobb cleats and sanded the cleats down or if they gaylord perry ball and covered it with vasaline or branded KY JELLY into it.

I just dont like the idea of destroying or marking up history. Let the ball think for its self.
    I know the balls are juiced these days, but you're telling me they're THINKING for themselves at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I know the balls are juiced these days, but you're telling me they're THINKING for themselves at this point?
    I was thinking multiple things when i typed that :o

I mean talk for itself and allow people to think for themselves.

Personally i would have rather seen the ball launched into space. In reality the ball is just as useless as the record he thinks he broke.

Barry Bonds is a great player (and was a great player before he took steroids), and if I had a vote I'd vote for him into the Hall of Fame. That being said, the steroid controversy is an enormous part of HR #756, and the asterisk on the ball will remind future generations of that. You know they aren't gonna put anything about steroids on his plaque, so this will be the only reminder. The Bonds steroid controversy is one of the two biggest baseball stories of this decade (along with the Red Sox Series win) and it shouldn't be ignored in the Hall, which is a place for baseball history.

Along these lines I also think Pete Rose should be in there, with something on his plaque acknowledging that he is banned from the game for betting. And someone mentioned Gaylord Perry, yes I think there should be something in the Hall that tells people he was an admitted cheater.
    Last edited by Heath; 09-27-2007 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    You all are quite happy to mark up a piece of baseball history because a guy used steroids so I can only guess that you guys would be ok with cutting up another piece because a guy was a known racist.
    Did being a racist help Ty Cobb steal a base or hit a fastball?

Well what about if someone took his cleats and ground down the spikes?

also should we take all of the pre-integration days and mark it all up with asterisk? I just dont get what the point is in marking up such a big piece of sports history.

I know that I might over value history but I just dont see the point in degrading it.

Completely agree. The steroids are relevant to baseball performance. Being a racist jerk, not so much.

I think it's ashame they are putting an asterik on it. One of the greatest achievements of all time and they are desecrating it.

Turn Off Ads?