Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ichiro vs. Dunn

Ichiro vs. Dunn

Please forgive me if this was posted. The writer compares Ichiro to Dunn.

http://baseballevolution.com/asher/ichiro2007.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ichiro vs. Dunn

incomparable

in all of Dunn's 40+ HR years (this will be his 4th) he has created more runs than Ichiro in each of those seasons. Thats the whole point of offense right?

Ichiro, in my opinion, is the game's best hitter. . . bar none. To compare him to Adam Dunn is insulting Ichiro.

If Ichiro wanted to he could hit 45 homers a season. He has that kind of ability. I guess he would probably hit like Adam Dunn if he were to try though.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

They are completely different styles of hitters. It's not fair to either player to compare them (nor is it to compare Ty Cobb and Ichiro to an empty ba like Alex Sanchez), without one you dont get the other (as we have seen).

Give me my choice of any 7 power hitters and then for the 8th Dunn or Ichiro I would take Ichiro.

Likewise if I had Pete Rose, Rickey Henderson, Ty Cobb types, plus a couple good/not great power hitters I take Dunn for the RBI potential.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Ichiro, in my opinion, is the game's best hitter. . . bar none. To compare him to Adam Dunn is insulting Ichiro.
    How? Other than hitting for a higher average, how is Ichiro THAT much of a better hitter than Dunn?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Ichiro > Dunn by a long shot

Total package its Ichiro by a long shot.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

If we are talking to offense only I dont see how people put Ichiro in front of Dunn. He hits for zero power. He has scored only about 10 more runs while Dunn has drove in 40 more. Dunn is just behind in OBP and kills him in SLG.

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    If we are talking to offense only I dont see how people put Ichiro in front of Dunn. He hits for zero power. He has scored only about 10 more runs while Dunn has drove in 40 more. Dunn is just behind in OBP and kills him in SLG.
    What would you rather have 9 dunns in your line up or 9 ichiros. Honestly i would take the ichiros.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    What would you rather have 9 dunns in your line up or 9 ichiros. Honestly i would take the ichiros.
    That's pretty much exactly what the stat "RC/9" (runs created per 9 innings) formulates. They're pretty close, but Dunn has the edge...

Dunn: 7.8 RC/9 in 2007; 7.3 RC/9 for his career.
    Ichiro: 7.1 RC/9 in 2007; 6.7 RC/9 for his career.

As you can see, a lineup full of Dunn's would theortically score more runs than a lineup of Ichiros. Personally, I'd probably rather have Dunn, although Ichiro's superior speed and defense would be nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    Why do you keep bringing up this idea of having 9 of one player in a lineup? It's a moot point because you never want a lineup full of one type of player.

Besides, this comparison makes little sense because Ichiro and Dunn are totally different type of hitters. I'd want them both in my lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Why do you keep bringing up this idea of having 9 of one player in a lineup? It's a moot point because you never want a lineup full of one type of player.

Besides, this comparison makes little sense because Ichiro and Dunn are totally different type of hitters. I'd want them both in my lineup.
    Why do you keep arguing about it? I mean really. Let it go. I think on a different level when evaluating a player sometimes. What team would win more games if there was 9 of the same guy I dont think its that far fetched of an idea.

God im sorry for looking at it a little different than you and I can actually have a open mind and look at things multiple of ways. Give me a freaking break. Just because it isnt going to happen in real life doesnt mean the point is null genius.

A full lineup of Dunns, and you would guarantee yourself atleast a homer a night. I think that team would score about 8 runs a game.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Turn Off Ads?