Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable GPS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Portable GPS

Do any of you have one of these? I'm thinking of buying one as a gift, but don't really know much about them. Are some (Magellan, TomTom, etc) brands better than others? I'd like to get one that actually says the street names and where to turn. Other than that, I'm not sure of any special features to look for. I'd probably be looking to spend under $500 if possible for something nice. Help, I need it buy tomorrow night!!!

Re: Portable GPS

My nephew asked for one for Christmas. I bought him this instead and told him he had to prove to me that he could use it first.

Anyway- I have only used one (not mine) for some geocaching fun. It was remarkably accurate- a better experience than I had expected. Can't remember what kind it was though, or how expensive.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I picked up a refurbished Tom Tom for about $200 from Buy.com and it's very good.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I picked up a refurbished Tom Tom for about $200 from Buy.com and it's very good.
    [thread hijack]

Wait a second here ... you actually bought something from Buy.com and then actually received it shortly thereafter? In all my experience with Buy.com, that's unheard of.

[/thread hijack]
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 09-26-2007 at 08:22 PM.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    [thread hijack]

Wait a second here ... you actually bought something from Buy.com and then actually received it shortly thereafter? In all my experience with Buy.com, that's unheard of.

[/thread hijack]

Yeah, I've heard stories about them before, but I've bought dozens of things from them and never once had a problem.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Yeah, I've heard stories about them before, but I've bought dozens of things from them and never once had a problem.
    Me neither. In fact, I've gotten some nice deals and decent service from them.

As far as portable GPS goes, I'd go for regular AA bateries over a recharageable unit. Those batteries are always expensive to replace if they crap out, and never seem to last long before developing a memory.

I have a Garmin C330 which is a real basic one (in car). It does the trick so assuming that translates to their handhelds, I guess I reccommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    M

As far as portable GPS goes, I'd go for regular AA bateries over a recharageable unit. Those batteries are always expensive to replace if they crap out, and never seem to last long before developing a memory.

Boy, I'd never do that unless it was rechargable AA's. Those things go through batteries fast.

The Tom Tom is very good. One of my friend owns one and he brought it along in my car for a road trip and it got us everywhere we wanted to go (along with providing us entertainment with the different voices on it).

I have been using GPS systems since '99. I depend on them every day. It's not portable, but I have this setup in my Explorer with a laptop, running DeLorme Street Atlas with a GPS receiver.

Wow, RFS, I've pined for a system like that, especially when I drove a mini-van for years. I used to run a laptop with external antenna on a homemade shelf thingy I built. But I wanted one of those shelf systems for a long time.

Wow, RFS, I've pined for a system like that, especially when I drove a mini-van for years. I used to run a laptop with external antenna on a homemade shelf thingy I built. But I wanted one of those shelf systems for a long time.

They're great. They swing in and out on the articulating arm. Very stable and secure for the laptop.

And you can take them out in seconds. The floor mount attaches under the seat bolts, no drilling needed. It has a 2" stub to set the stem on, all the rest comes right out very fast if you want to take it out.

I guess it's not really a portable system (sorry RIC) but I prefer a laptop based system over a smaller in car system. I like to see a far bigger area of the map than just the small chunk they show you on the smaller units.

Thanks for the heads up on the mounts there RFS. Unfortunatley they don't make any for a Volvo. My inner dweeb says drat.

Thanks for the heads up on the mounts there RFS. Unfortunatley they don't make any for a Volvo. My inner dweeb says drat.
    If they don't have a unit for Volvo, you can drill holes for the floor mount and still use the unit in that picture. That's what I did on the first two vehicles I had them in.

The floor mount is about 4 inches by 4 inches. It attaches with four screws or bolts. It has a 3 inch stub which the rest of the unit attaches to.

Here's a link to the site. It's called a Jotto Desk.

http://www.jottodesk.com/Comersus/st...gory=2&status=
    Last edited by RFS62; 09-26-2007 at 09:28 PM.

I've got a TomTom One. About $225 new. I love it. It was one of those purchases where my wife gave me a hard time until she started using it. She does not give a hard time about it anymore. She loves it. My kids love the Mr. T voice. It's pretty funny when he yells at me, "TURN AROUND WHEN POSSIBLE FOOL!"

Fun times.

I know a guy with a Tom Tom unit. I was duly impressed when it was able to give us the names and distances of dirt roads in the middle of nowhere on the Ohio/PA border. At one point one of the guys who had gotten directions at a gas station kept second guessing the Tom Tom, but it was right, every time.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?