Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portable GPS

Re: Portable GPS

I know a guy with a Tom Tom unit. I was duly impressed when it was able to give us the names and distances of dirt roads in the middle of nowhere on the Ohio/PA border. At one point one of the guys who had gotten directions at a gas station kept second guessing the Tom Tom, but it was right, every time.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does Tom Tom draw it's map information from a different source than Garmin? The Streetpilot C330 I have is about as accruate as say Microsoft Streets and Tips. About 85% accurate but a lot of new streets missing, and obscure country roads are often overlooked.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Get a Garmin. Support the Kansas economy.

The nuvi is excellent in your car and you can carry it with you. The StreetPilots are a little cheaper, but some of them have to stay plugged into your car's AC outlet.

CostCo usually has good deals. You can get a nuvi 360 with TTS (text-to-speech, i.e. it says the names of streets) for $399 online.

WalMart has the nuvi 650 for $499 online. It also has TTS, plus an MP3 player and a wider screen than the 360.

If you have any questions, you can PM me.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 09-26-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I can certainly recommend Garmin. I have the 340. It annouces street names. 330 doesn't. Love that thing to death. Used to wonder why people had them. Now wouldn't dream of doing without.

340 has 8 hour battery life
    The lowest acceptable payroll amount for ownership to show they are not greedy pigs is 15 million more than they are currently paying. No matter what that currently is.

We got a TomTomGo when we moved to Nashville. We've had it about a year now and it works well. The computer software is a bit "primitive" but you don't really need the computer for anything other than updates.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

We have a Garmin c550 and have been very pleased with it.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I've had the original Garmin Street Pilot for over 7 years and been happy with it. The color screens and the relatively massive memory capacity of the newer units will probably entice me to upgrade before long.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Does Tom Tom draw it's map information from a different source than Garmin? The Streetpilot C330 I have is about as accruate as say Microsoft Streets and Tips. About 85% accurate but a lot of new streets missing, and obscure country roads are often overlooked.
    Sounds like you need to hook it to your PC and update it...

My sister has a TomTom, and the thing is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by bengalsown View Post
    Sounds like you need to hook it to your PC and update it....
    Yep, just did that a few weeks ago.

It still doesn't recognize the addition to a street near my house that has been there for nearly 2 years now.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Yep, just did that a few weeks ago.

It still doesn't recognize the addition to a street near my house that has been there for nearly 2 years now.
    Which map update did you get?

Some map products contain more detail than others, and are updated more frequently.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Which map update did you get?

Some map products contain more detail than others, and are updated more frequently.
    Actually, now that I think about it, I think the update was more for the firmware.

Not sure if the Streetpilot C330 even has map updates. I'll have to check that out.

Turn Off Ads?