Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on next season - 2008

Thoughts on next season - 2008

Well, rather than be all negative, I'm going to take a positive approach and say that depending on what I saw the second half and what I think/hope will happen in the offseason, I see the Reds being the surprise team in the Central next season and here's why:

1. Adam Dunn. They will pick up Dunn's option and he will have a career year. He is in his prime and will be showcasing himself for free agency. The Reds may bite and try and sign him longterm, but he will still have a career year. Also, the lineup around him will be one of the best since he came up which will also help protect him and make him that much better. Plus, my gut feeling is that Adam is maturing and trying to become a better fielder and hitter based on his second half.

2. Griffey's last season. The move to RF helped his health for the most part. I think he will have a solid season being his last season. The big question will be - will he retire at the end of the season or will he move on to another team? Will he try and prove he can stay healthy 2 seasons in a row and still produce - putting up good numbers or will he decline with age and be ready to call it a career? Also, we will have decent enough backups to spot him once or twice a week if the new manager dares to sit Junior here and there to keep him fresh. Personally, I'd play him 3 games, then sit him, 3 more games, then sit him, to keep him fresh. That means he plays approximately 120 games.

3. Josh Hamilton. He has a year under his belt. Should he come back healthy, I think he has 30 HR 100 RBI potential. I think if he can stay healthy, he will have a huge impact next year, if he's not traded for starting pitching. Still wouldn't surprise me to see Josh traded for a quality starting pitcher and Norris Hopper inserted in CF to become our leadoff hitter. If Junior or Dunn goes down with injury, they bring up Bruce.

4. Brandon Phillips. Showed he can be our RH power hitter between Griffey and Dunn. Showed at a young age that he has a promising future and appears to have the right attitude.

5. Edwin Encarnacion. Showed offensively in the second half that he is the real deal. He's still young, and still around. His defense has improved drastically, and I look for a breakout season from him next year. He will hit 20 plus HR's.

6. Alex Gonzalez. Was solid. It was a shame he was injured and had the problems with his son. But what we saw of him was about what we expected or more. He could probably hit 20-25 HRs in a full season of play.

7. Jeff Keppinger. Proved he is more than a utility player, but probably will be a oft-played utility player next year. And a solid one at that. Good hitter. Solid fielder. A guy that paid his dues and appears to be not looking back at the minors for once in his life. If anyone gets injured, nobody on this board will be complaining having to play Keppinger at any infield spot for anytime unless he hits some major slump, which appears unlikely. Good player to have. Versatile. Glad WK found him. It was a good season to find this guy and know what we have for next season. Gives us the option to save money by releasing guys like Castro and trading maybe Freel.

8. Joey Votto. Well it's a small sample to project big things for him, but I look back at the mediocrity that Denorfia showed and have seen a much better indication that Joey Votto can be a solid major league player. My gut feeling says he is here to stay and will be solid next year, which gives us options with Hatteberg to possible save money considering Keppinger is basically the same player that Hatte is except for being a righthander.

9. David Ross. Not sure what to think about this guy. If he could hit .250 along with 20 HR's, I would take that because of his ability to throw out runners. But I'm not sure he has it in him. I think they give him another season to prove himself as a better hitter. Otherwise, it may be his last with the Reds as they try and upgrade.

10. Aaron Harang. No reason to think he won't keep up his career numbers since they've all been accomplished at GABP. #1 starter.

11. Bronson Arroyo. It's been pointed out that if you eliminate two early bad outings for Bronson that his e.r.a. decreases into the 3.70 area. He suffered from a lack of run production, thus his poor win-loss record. I have confidence in him and noticed that when they don't overpitch him, he has seemed to do better. A good bullpen would help his won-loss record, for sure.

12. Homer Bailey. All indications are that they plan on him being part of the starting rotation next year. Alot of my positive attitude will hinge on this guy being a solid #3 starter. If he fails, so might the Reds. If he can give them 5-6 solid innings, that's all we need. An era under 5.00 would be a good start considering GABP and he's still a rookie.

13. Johnny Cueto. I heard Mo and Greg talking about him and saying that some in the Reds organization say he's ready for the big leagues now. Based on those comments, I am going to be positive and believe he is also a huge factor in the Reds season next year if he gets it done.

14. Tom Shearn. He finally had a bad outing, but I still think between Livingston/Shearn/Belisle or possibly a trade, the 5th starter will be determined. Especially if they would trade Josh Hamilton for a starter.

15. Bullpen. Burton, Bray, Weathers are a good place to start. I'm not sure about the others. I'm hoping they delve into free agency and spend some money in this area. This team needs starting and relief pitching and it will contend. I have faith that WK will do this is the offseason with money saved from Milton and releasing/trading other high priced backups.

I just think this team is on the rise and due to surprise. Look! I made a rhyme!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thoughts on next season - 2008

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    14. Tom Shearn. He finally had a bad outing, but I still think between Livingston/Shearn/Belisle or possibly a trade, the 5th starter will be determined. Especially if they would trade Ken Griffey for a starter.
    Fixed it for ya.

Overall though, good post. The Reds definitely have a lot of the pieces of the foundation in place. Now they just need to keep filling in the rest.

Why if we traded Hamilton would we start Hopper, and not Bruce? I heard he can play center.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

If the Reds keep both Griffey and Dunn, there is one question I keep on asking: Who would benefit more from a year at AAA, Bruce or Hamilton?
    I keep thinking that the better option would be to give Bruce the year in CF and send Hamilton down to Louisville to get consistent practice on Lefty batting.

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    If the Reds keep both Griffey and Dunn, there is one question I keep on asking: Who would benefit more from a year at AAA, Bruce or Hamilton?
    I keep thinking that the better option would be to give Bruce the year in CF and send Hamilton down to Louisville to get consistent practice on Lefty batting.
    Hamilton would kill AAA. I would love to see him mash some AAA pitchers, but I would much rather him up here then in the minors.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Hamilton would kill AAA. I would love to see him mash some AAA pitchers, but I would much rather him up here then in the minors.
    Who do you feel would gain more from a year in AAA though? Bruce, who has been there done that, or Hamilton?

I think for their careers, Hamilton.

Bruce

What truly worries me about the 2008 season is the lack of a true leadoff hitter in the lineup:
    C - Ross/JA
    1B - Votto
    2B - Phillips
    3B - EE
    SS - Gonzalez
    RF - Griffey
    CF - Hamilton
    LF - Dunn

The Reds need to get a legitimate lead off hitter to get on base consistently. Without a lead off batter, I think its going to be the same results as this year.

Who do you feel would gain more from a year in AAA though? Bruce, who has been there done that, or Hamilton?

I think for their careers, Hamilton.
    I have no clue. Hamilton was pretty good this year, though I would love to see him more against lefties. Bruce is a masher, period. If I had to pick it would be Bruce. No offense to him, but he needs to be the best he can when he comes up. People say he has 30 homer potential, so he needs to develop that potential before he comes up. I don't want him in AAA though.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by RedsMightWin View Post
    Bruce
    would you like to expand on that?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I have no clue. Hamilton was pretty good this year, though I would love to see him more against lefties. Bruce is a masher, period. If I had to pick it would be Bruce. No offense to him, but he needs to be the best he can when he comes up. People say he has 30 homer potential, so he needs to develop that potential before he comes up. I don't want him in AAA though.
    I can agree with that. I just don't want to have another situation with him sitting against lefties. It seems like the coaching staff felt like that was a week part of his game. Louisville seems like a great place to work that out.

would you like to expand on that?
    Bruce still has a few things to work on according to the AAA manager.

Bruce did not spend a full year at AAA; it couldn't hurt to refine his game.

I know my thoughts on the 2008 season, I'm cheering for the Yankees. The Reds organization obviously does not care about its fans so why should I waste my time cheering for the one thing I thought Cincy would never become...a modern day Pirates organization.

At least the Yankees give back to their fans...post season every SINGLE year!

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    I know my thoughts on the 2008 season, I'm cheering for the Yankees. The Reds organization obviously does not care about its fans so why should I waste my time cheering for the one thing I thought Cincy would never become...a modern day Pirates organization.

At least the Yankees give back to their fans...post season every SINGLE year!
    Don't hurt your ankle jumping off the bandwagon...

Turn Off Ads?