Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mark Bellhorn called up

Mark Bellhorn called up

Seriously. Says so on the press notes. Livingston to the 60 day DL to make room.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mark Bellhorn called up

This should solidfy a playoff spot........... Oh we are eliminated. Nevermind.....
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

More beating the Cubs keys being put into place

Bellhorn, the key to a 90 loss season
    Go Gators!

I know this isn't a big deal, but it was real clear to me in last night's game that the bench was very thin. I'd forgotten about Cantu, but in the 9th inning, we only had David Ross and Pedro Lopez (who I'd also forgotten about) to pinch hit. A couple of more bodies can't hurt in pinch.

In looking at our Opening Day starting eight, five of them were unavailable last night (including the entire outfield!).

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Gil off the DL, now Bellhorn called up?

Tell me where I can buy those playoff tickets for 2008...

I read where Pedro Lopez might get a start tonight. First time back after his 7/25 beaning.

Hope the kid does well.

It's about
    the ball,
    the bat,
    the mitt,
    the bases,
    and the fans

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I read where Pedro Lopez might get a start tonight. First time back after his 7/25 beaning.

Hope the kid does well.
    He is starting and batting 8th.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 09-27-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I know this isn't a big deal, but it was real clear to me in last night's game that the bench was very thin. I'd forgotten about Cantu, but in the 9th inning, we only had David Ross and Pedro Lopez (who I'd also forgotten about) to pinch hit. A couple of more bodies can't hurt in pinch..
    Is Hatteberg hurt?

I've seen him on the bench, but I don't think in a game since Votto/Cantu have been starting at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    Is Hatteberg hurt?

I've seen him on the bench, but I don't think in a game since Votto/Cantu have been starting at 1B.
    From TCR's blog in mid-September:

Sidelined by the arrival of first base prospect Joey Votto, Reds first baseman Scott Hatteberg has been hampered by a strained oblique for the last week or so, he said before Thursday's game.

He wasn't available to pinch hit on Tuesday, and said he has been available for limited duty the last two days.

"Not that my situation would change," said Hatteberg, who hasn't played since Aug. 3 against the Mets, the day before Votto was called up from Class AAA Louisville. "It affects pinch hitting, not that I'm effective at it. It is one of those things that's nagging."

It's not a big deal. In fact, I think it's a move that is somewhat overdue. Officially, the Reds now have 19 position players on the active roster. However, that includes Ken Griffey Jr., Josh Hamilton, Adam Dunn, and Scott Hatteberg--all of whom are likely done for the rest of the season/week. (I wouldn't risk aggravating Hatteberg's oblique--I would just shut him down, which is what it looks like they have done.) It also includes Alex Gonzalez, who has been limited to PH duty by a sore knee. So that leaves 14 healthy bodies:

Starting Eight (recently)
    C Javier Valentin
    1B Joey Votto
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS Jeff Keppinger
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    LF Buck Coats
    CF Norris Hopper
    RF Jason Ellison

Bench
    C David Ross
    C Ryan Hanigan
    IF Jorge Cantu
    IF Pedro Lopez
    IF Jerry Gil (added yesterday)
    IF Mark Bellhorn (added today)

Walking Wounded
    SS Alex Gonzalez (limited to PH duty--knee)
    1B Scott Hatteberg (likely done for year--oblique)
    OF Adam Dunn (done for year--knee)
    OF Ken Griffey, Jr. (done for year--groin)
    OF Josh Hamilton (done for year--hamstring)

So as you can see, the bench has been very thin. And there's no excuse for a thin bench in September.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 09-27-2007 at 06:17 PM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Big Klu, perhaps I understated the situation when I said it's no big deal. I was trying to say it was clearly necessary when I mentioned the limited options in last night's game. I was relieved when I saw Cantu come up, although to be honest, if there ever was a spot I would have liked Scott Hatteberg available, last night's ninth inning was it.

It's breathtaking the sheer number of injuries we're finishing with.

Back in the Lindner era folks would get up in arms when they didn't think the roster was being boosted enough in September (which in the Schott, Lindner era there were a few thin falls)

That said I wish that MLB would take the same approach that hockey has, that being the roster has to be set at 25 at game time. If the non players want to kick in the dugout with their uniforms and tennis shoes then so be it. But 25 firm would make the battle a bit more equal.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Big Klu, perhaps I understated the situation when I said it's no big deal. I was trying to say it was clearly necessary when I mentioned the limited options in last night's game. I was relieved when I saw Cantu come up, although to be honest, if there ever was a spot I would have liked Scott Hatteberg available, last night's ninth inning was it.

It's breathtaking the sheer number of injuries we're finishing with.
    I think we agree with each other. Adding Gil and Bellhorn is not a big deal in and of itself--both are expendable after the season, so the club doesn't have to worry about options (though I would like to get a better look at Gil before we cut him loose). However, they do add much-needed depth--like you said, other than Cantu (and Gonzalez, when healthy enough to PH) there aren't any legitimate late-inning options off the bench. And when the lineup vs. RHP starts (Valentin at C, and Coats in LF), there isn't any LH hitters on the bench. At least Bellhorn helps with that.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I wish that MLB would take the same approach that hockey has, that being the roster has to be set at 25 at game time. If the non players want to kick in the dugout with their uniforms and tennis shoes then so be it. But 25 firm would make the battle a bit more equal.
    That probably reminds a lot of us about the old Yogi Berra story from when he managed the Yankees in the World Series.

The National League team (I forget which one) wanted to reward a certain catcher (3rd or 4th on the depth chart) who had not made the post season 25 man roster. The manager asked Berra if the player could at least suit up as the 26th man to serve exclusively as a bullpen catcher, of course not eligible to actually play.

Yogi agreed but added something like, "It's OK with me, but if a fight breaks out, he stays in the bullpen!"

Turn Off Ads?