09/27/2007 6:52 PM ET

Notes: Dunn positive after procedure
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

Adam Dunn is the first player in Reds history to hit 40 home runs in four straight seasons. (Tom Uhlman/AP)

CINCINNATI -- Nothing seemed unusual at first about seeing Adam Dunn walk into the Reds clubhouse on Thursday. Then there was the realization the Reds left fielder just had season-ending knee surgery one day earlier.
Dunn was not even using crutches.

"I can't take them." Dunn said. "I asked if it was alright [to not use crutches] and they said don't put a lot of weight on it."

Dunn had torn meniscus cartilage in his right knee repaired in a one-hour arthroscopic procedure performed by medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek. The only evidence of the operation was a wrap on his right leg under his shorts.

"It feels a lot better than I thought it would," Dunn said.

It was the 27-year-old's first operation.

"And my last," added Dunn, who planned to start his rehab on Monday near his Houston home. "I don't know how some people do it. I really don't."

Dunn batted .264 with 40 home runs and a career-high 106 RBIs in 152 games this season. But now that he's finished for 2007, he wasn't overly satisfied with the outcome.

"They were OK," Dunn said of his numbers. "I don't want to sound like I'm always complaining about it, but it always seems like, 'Well, if I don't start out as bad as I did.' I don't know. I'm going to put it together one day."

Disappointed with his 2006 season, especially down the stretch, Dunn vowed at Spring Training to be better this year in several areas of the game. In many ways, he succeeded. He raised his average 30 points from last year, and he struck out 165 times, compared to 194 in 2006. In the final two months, he batted .275 (41-for-149) compared to .176 during last season's stretch. He walked over 100 times and had 40 homers for the fourth year in a row.

"I didn't fizz off like I did last year," Dunn said. "In the second half, I learned a lot this year. Something clicked in where I was seeing the ball a lot better in the second half. I felt night and day better than the first half."

Dunn has a $13 million option for next season, with a $500,000 buyout, but said he's been given no indication if it will be picked up.
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin