Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Javier Valentín next year

Javier Valentín next year

Is there anyway the Reds can find away to not have Valentin on the roster next year? His OPS is a weak .710 right at his career average but his defense is the worst I have seen and that include Eddie Taubesee (sp?).

In addition he is a 32 year old catcher so it is unlikely he is going to get any better.

He is the type of player that holds the Reds back from going out and improving the team plus to pay more than league min for these skills is Wayne's biggest weakness. He is paying millions for below average players are taking up way to big of percentage of this teams payroll.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Javier Valentín next year

I think he's alright as a backup.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

My problem with Javier has been that he can't catch the ball. Several time this year, he has missed throws to the plate (tonight was no different) and refused to block the plate. It didn't make any difference tonight, but some days it will.

I vote to ditch both cathers we have and get two new ones even if they're rookies.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

I vote to ditch both cathers we have and get two new ones even if they're rookies.
    Me too. I can't remember a worse duo behind the plate. They are both awful, particularly defensively.

I'm kinda with you guys. Our catching is a sign to me as much as any that the Reds have just kind of given up. There's downright stupid, and there's acceptance of mediocrity, and in some ways I find the latter more forgiveable.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Uh, the back-up catching should not be the biggest worry. Valentin had very little to do with the team's total overall suck-a-tude. If pitching is 90% of the game, back-up catchers are less than 1% of the game.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Uh, the back-up catching should not be the biggest worry. Valentin had very little to do with the team's total overall suck-a-tude. If pitching is 90% of the game, back-up catchers are less than 1% of the game.
    We have two backup catchers. What we are lacking is a starting catcher.

Look around just about every team in the league has backup catchers starting.

I mentioned Shoppach as a target though I am not sure how available he would be even as a backup to Martinez. Even so he would make a good every day catcher imo: strong defensively with a good arm, good power and good walk rate. He filled in mid-season and hit over .300 with some big hits/hr.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I mentioned Shoppach as a target though I am not sure how available he would be even as a backup to Martinez. Even so he would make a good every day catcher imo: strong defensively with a good arm, good power and good walk rate. He filled in mid-season and hit over .300 with some big hits/hr.
    He would be a great target.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Ross has an arm.....Javy has a stick...

That's about the extent of it...

They are serviceable for now, just keep them batting 8th
    Go Gators!

[QUOTE=Matt700wlw;1472881]Javy has a stick...

QUOTE]

Thats like saying Castro plays good defense....regardless of how many time it is said it doesn't make it true.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Ryan Hanigan had an OBP of .381 in his minor league career.
    His problem is the lack of power (as evidenced by a .363 career SLG).

If his defense is decent, I'll take a guy who gets on base.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

For those advocating getting rid of Ross, what is your rationale? Yes, his offense is under par. However, he is good defensively (I believe 2nd in the NL in throw outs) and at least he does have some power. I'll take a good defensive catcher who lacks offense over a catcher with poor defense and good offense (unless we're talking about an elite offensive catcher which are far and few between).

I'm not claiming Ross is a great long-term option, but he is more than servicable for now and not one of the bigger problems for this club.

Turn Off Ads?