Let's take note of a few things, shall we?
1. The Mets have been Oh Mr. Fantastic Fabuloso Team all season long, and now two days before the season is over, they've dropped entirely out of first place. I just saw Mr. Met hiding his eyes on TV directly after I witnessed an interview with David Wright during which he honestly looked as if he was addressing the recent global apocalypse. Meanwhile, I have my friend the lifelong Phillies fan sending me tearful e-mails from Egypt, where he's due to spend the entirety of the next year, and he is just beside himself at what's going on and why he's not there. And all of a sudden I'm feeling deep kinship with the Phillies, who have a star over the I in their name like some dumb teenage girl. I really thought my life couldn't get any lamer.
2. The Cubs took the NL Central tonight having won something like 11 games this season, and I felt kind of happy for them and their dumb dumb fans. Whatever.
3. The Yankees have a largely home-grown team, and no one has seemed to notice, but whatever, and they could win the World Series and kind of actually be a great story after that farm systemness and the first half they had and no one would care, but whatever. it's great, it's great for them that they're the wild card instead of the shoo-in winner. I think this is a really different team than last year, a hungrier team, and I don't care that I've thought that every year for several years running now.
4. The Red Sox are still a good team, and this makes me happy because good teams should be in the playoffs.
5. The Angels and Indians are really good. Really really good, honestly. A lot of us live in Ohio and we're not supposed to notice this about the Indians, and I wonder how many people outside Cleveland notice the Indians at all, but they're kind of groovylicious in their own confused way.
6. The NL West and the NL East could make this Monday very interesting. I don't even entirely understand all the possibilities but I will probably lose sleep over it. This is awesome.
7. Like many people, maybe most people, I have a life and a job that are sucking the life out of me at the moment, but even in little snippets I can get excited about all these teams and all this ridiculousness that I half know and don't really care about -- in some cases, actually dislike. I think this world is bananas, but baseball in September makes it make a little more sense.
8. The Diamondbacks honestly look like a set of living Ken dolls. Good for them.
Oh yeah baby playoff fever...catch it!!