Turn Off Ads?

Thread: SEPT 29 Baseball History ... Final MLB Games For Stan Musial & Johnny Bench

SEPT 29 Baseball History ... Final MLB Games For Stan Musial & Johnny Bench

LINEDRIVER's Sept 29th Baseball History picks

SEPTEMBER 29, 1963…St. Louis Cardinals’ legend Stan Musial ends his major league career with a single in his last at-bat off Reds’ pitcher Jim Maloney in St. Louis. Musial goes 2-for-3 on the day to give him a total of 3,630 hits in a 22-year career. Reds’ second baseman Pete Rose also plays in this game and hits a single for his 173rd and final hit of his rookie season.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1983…Cincinnati’s Johnny Bench comes off the bench in the fifth-inning and strokes a two-run pinch-hit single against pitcher Mark Calvert of the Giants. This is Bench’s last appearance in a major league game. The Giants defeat the Reds, 11-7, at Riverfront Stadium.

---other Sept 29 Baseball History---

SEPTEMBER 29, 1952…Phillies’ pitcher Robin Roberts beats the Giants and wins his 28th game of the year, the most wins in the NL since Dizzy Dean’s 28 victories with the 1935 St. Louis Cardinals. Roberts finishes the season at 28-7, 30 complete games, 330 innings pitched, and a 2.59 ERA.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1954…Giants’ center fielder Willie Mays makes one of the greatest catches in history while playing against the Indians at the Polo Grounds in Game One of the World Series. Mays races to deep center field to make an over-the-head catch of Vic Wertz’s 460-foot drive in the eighth inning with the score tied at 2-2. The Giants pullout a victory when pinch-hitter Dusty Rhodes slams a ninth-inning three-run HR off pitcher Bob Lemon for the 5-2 win.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1956…The Cincinnati Redlegs tie the major league team record of 221 HR’s in a season set by the 1947 New York Giants. The record tying HR is hit by Smoky Burgess in a pinch-hitting role.

OTHER POWER NUMBERS FROM THE ’56 REDLEGS

Frank Robinson’s 38 HR’s ties the major league record for rookie homers set by Wally Berger of the 1930 Boston Braves.

Cincinnati sets a MLB record for nine pinch-hit HR’s hit in a season.

The Redlegs tie a MLB record by having 3 players with 30 or more HR’s in the same season: Frank Robinson (38), Wally Post (36), and Ted Kluszewski (35).

SEPTEMBER 29, 1956…Twenty-four year-old Yankees’ superstar Mickey Mantle closes out New York’s last regular season game by hitting his 52nd HR of the year. The switch-hitter finishes the season with a league leading 132 runs scored, a .705 slugging percentage, and will be named as the winner of the Triple Crown award for a very impressive .353-52-130.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1968…The Reds lose to the Giants, 3-0, but Cincinnati’s Pete Rose closes out the season with a 1-for-3 performance to win the NL batting title with a .335 average.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1971…Expos’ second baseman Ron Hunt sets a new MLB record when he is hit by the pitch for the 50th time this season. Today’s drilling comes from Cubs’ pitcher Milt Pappas.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1976…With four games remaining in the season, Tommy Lasorda takes over as field manager for Walter Alston, who is retiring with a 2040-1613 won-loss record as the Dodgers' skipper since 1954. Rick Sutcliffe makes his major league debut for the Dodgers and tosses five innings of 2-hit shutout ball. Charlie Hough picks up his 18th save in the 1-0 win over the Astros.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1979…Houston’s J. R. Richard fans 10 Dodgers and ends his season with a league leading 313 strikeouts. The Dodgers’ Manny Mota strokes a single for his 146th career pinch-hit to break the record of 145 pinch-hits set by Smoky Burgess of the 1967 White Sox.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1986…Cubs’ rookie pitcher Greg Maddux defeats Philadelphia, 8-3, with Phillies’ rookie pitcher, Mike Maddux picking up the loss. This is the first time that brothers have faced each other as rookies.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1987…Yankees' first baseman Don Mattingly sets a new MLB record by hitting his sixth grand slam HR of the season.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1990…The Cincinnati Reds clinch the NL West title while waiting out a rain delay during a game with the Padres. The second-place Dodgers lose to the Giants, 4-3, assuring the Reds of a first-place finish.

The Reds stay in first-place the entire season to become the first team in MLB history remaining in first-place from start to finish while playing a 162 game schedule.

SEPTEMBER 29, 1996…Reds’ first baseman, Hal Morris, extends his hitting streak to 29 games as Cincinnati beats the Cardinals in St. Louis, 6-3, on the final day of the regular season.

Last edited by LINEDRIVER; 09-29-2007 at 02:37 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: SEPT 29 Baseball History ... Final MLB Games For Stan Musial & Johnny Bench

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    LINEDRIVER's Sept 29th Baseball History picks

SEPTEMBER 29, 1983…Cincinnati’s Johnny Bench comes off the bench in the fifth-inning and strokes a two-run pinch-hit single against pitcher Mark Calvert of the Giants. This is Bench’s last appearance in a major league game. The Giants defeat the Reds, 11-7, at Riverfront Stadium.
    the Giants, 4-3, assuring the Reds of a first-place finish.

I was actually at this game with very few people in attendance. If I recall it was a weekday game because I believe mom and dad let me skip school for the game. I also remember fans going up to the reds seats and were folding down the raised seats to spell "BENCH". They got real close to spelling it out till the ushers shoo'd them away.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Re: SEPT 29 Baseball History ... Final MLB Games For Stan Musial & Johnny Bench

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I was actually at this game with very few people in attendance. If I recall it was a weekday game because I believe mom and dad let me skip school for the game. I also remember fans going up to the reds seats and were folding down the raised seats to spell "BENCH". They got real close to spelling it out till the ushers shoo'd them away.
    This game was played on a Thursday before 8,067 fans. This game was the final home game of the season. The Reds went to Houston to finish out the season with a three game series.

Turn Off Ads?