Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mackanin - what do the players think?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Mackanin - what do the players think?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

I guess, overall, the players don't feel he's a "slam dunk" either....
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-29-2007 at 02:16 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Mackanin - what do the players think?

I get the impression that Adam Dunn and Brandon Phillips like everybody.

I could be wrong, but I kind of have a feeling at this point that the Reds will go in another direction. Either way I think Pete's done a pretty good job.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm sort of surprised by that. I'm curious who the 4 are and what their thoughts are.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Wow. I'm surprised there were that many no's. My guess AGonz and Griffey were two of the "no" votes.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I would guess David Ross was a No.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I get the impression that Adam Dunn and Brandon Phillips like everybody.

I could be wrong, but I kind of have a feeling at this point that the Reds will go in another direction. Either way I think Pete's done a pretty good job.
    Yeah....Those two are probably the most affable guys on the team. We aren't going to glean much from what they say.
    Pray for Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm sort of surprised by that. I'm curious who the 4 are and what their thoughts are.
    I'm surprised by the four "no" votes as well. Even though the votes were to be confidential, I'm surprised that many Reds would be willing to vote "no"-I'd expected "no comments" rather than "no" votes.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Wow. I'm surprised there were that many no's. My guess AGonz and Griffey were two of the "no" votes.
    While it's possible Griffey may have been a "no", the few comments here and there about interchanges between them have always struck me as somewhat playful. I know a couple of the writers tried to brew a tempest in a teapot, I never took those very seriously. I'm not sure what Gonzo's beef would be - most of his sitting time lately has been due to injury, although Mackanin's comments about AG's situation with his son always struck me as a bit furtive. Now that might just be me.

I too, though, am surprised that there are four players of the vets. That's nearly 20% of the full roster, let alone the percentage of non-rookies.

I love the headline, talk about leading. Of the 14 players they were asked to particiate, only 6 said he should return. That's 42%. The writer is correct, it's not an overwhelming majority, because it's not a majority at all.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I would count the 3 who refused to participate as "nos" The only rational reason to do so is that you don't want him back--why would you not participate if you had something positive to say? So from my POV, it's 7-6 against him returning with one undecided.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

It really doesn't matter what the players think.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It really doesn't matter what the players think.
    I don't know Chip. Managing the clubhouse is an important aspect of the job and while I certainly don't expect any manager to be liked by all the players, saying that "It really doesn't matter what the players think" isn't true either IMO.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I wish we knew more about the reasons behind their voting. I wonder if some of the "no" votes are voting by proxy for LaRussa or against Krivsky, since Pete is Krivsky's guy?
    /r/reds

Hmmm...Casey Stengel once said, "The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided." I guess even Casey had his detractors.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I don't know Chip. Managing the clubhouse is an important aspect of the job and while I certainly don't expect any manager to be liked by all the players, saying that "It really doesn't matter what the players think" isn't true either IMO.

Basically, I worry when I hear the players say to a man that they are happy with their manager. When that happens, most of the time it means that the team is content with their status. The bench players are happy being on the bench, the starters don't worry about their jobs, everyone is happy and no one wants to rock the boat. For the last several years we've heard how the players liked Dave Miley and liked Jerry Narron. What I want is someone that doesn't make everyone comfortable and happy. Be it Mackanin or LaRussa or whoever, I want someone to come in here and make the players think that they just can't rest on their laurels - such as they are. And I don't want a GM polling the players as to whom they think he should hire.

The players are about the last people I'd want input from in regards to personnel decisions. Everybody loved Sean Casey and wanted him as a teammate. But his production was falling off while his salary was increasing. DanO made the right - if unpopular - move to trade him but he got a terrible return. If the players either all love a manager or all hate a manager, I think you may have the wrong manager.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Turn Off Ads?