Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Miguel Perez -- back on track

Re: Miguel Perez -- back on track

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Except he didn't. He had 23 at-bats where he hit well, but continued to show a complete lack of patience. He was fine at A ball, but didn't show the skills required to be an effective hitter as he moves up.

Players with poor contact skills that are batting average dependent are complete disasters, especially when their power is near non existant.
    15% strikeout rate is poor contact skills? Guess we will disagree on that one. He is a catcher, he doesn't need to hit a whole lot to be of value. Look around the league.... catchers can't hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    15% strikeout rate is poor contact skills? Guess we will disagree on that one. He is a catcher, he doesn't need to hit a whole lot to be of value. Look around the league.... catchers can't hit.
    19 K's in 108 at-bats projects to be around 100 in a full season.

Last year in AA he had 88 in 400 at-bats. I see a guy swinging at everything, and he's still striking out that's a bad combination.

I know that catchers can't hit, but Perez can't either. he's in fact worse than his peers (which is hard to imagine). I'm not saying he has to be Piazza at the plate, but it would be nice if he could project to hit even a little bit. I don't see one hitting skill with him that makes me excited.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Even if he just projects as a defensive minded back-up, that can be valuable especially when its cheap. Chad Moeller was $700K in 2007. Sal Fasano, Corky Miller, Paul Bako, Henry Blanco, Gary Bennett, Kelly Stinnett, Mike Defelice, etc. are guys who are on major league rosters. The state of catching is so poor these days that teams are begging vets who should have long been retired like Sandy Alomar, Brad Ausmus and Mike Leiberthal to hang around.

Perez is easily a prospect who should be protected on the 40 man roster and if his hitting has stepped forward with rib removed, he could even end up a platoon guy or part time starter. Even if not, he's as likely to be a major leaguer as those listed above. It beats scrounging around for the likes of Chad Moeller or offering too much money to some long past it vet to entice him to put off retirement.
    I never said don't protect him. The Reds have little to protect, so they may as well give him a chance because of his defensive skills.

So there are plenty of bad catchers. Perez can be one of those. Great. So the Reds have a guy that can be easily replaced at near minimum salaries and that comparable players are found for nothing. I don't see why people are excited about this.

Guys like Perez are not hard to replace. When you talk about catching prospects, I thought the goal would be to find a guy that could actually help the major league team. Finding guys that can compete with Sal Fasano and Chad Moeller is not something that I want to see in my catcing prospects.

I can see him having some career as a defensive minded back-up, but his hitting skills will prevent him from being anything more than that. And those guys are extremely easy to replace.

19 K's in 108 at-bats projects to be around 100 in a full season.

Last year in AA he had 88 in 400 at-bats. I see a guy swinging at everything, and he's still striking out that's a bad combination.

I know that catchers can't hit, but Perez can't either. he's in fact worse than his peers (which is hard to imagine). I'm not saying he has to be Piazza at the plate, but it would be nice if he could project to hit even a little bit. I don't see one hitting skill with him that makes me excited.
    He had a 15.5 strikeout percentage. Over 600 plate appearances that is 93 strikeouts in a season. Thats not poor contact rate to me.

Now as to say that he can't hit... who knows how long the rib problem had been bothering him.... all I know, is that now that its not bothering him, he hit very well for a 23 year old catcher in limited time.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He had a 15.5 strikeout percentage. Over 600 plate appearances that is 93 strikeouts in a season. Thats not poor contact rate to me.
    I consider that extremely poor considering that he swings a ton. When you swing early in the count as often as he does you better have a low strikeout percentage. 93 K's is a lot for a guy with that approach.

I never said don't protect him. The Reds have little to protect, so they may as well give him a chance because of his defensive skills.

So there are plenty of bad catchers. Perez can be one of those. Great. So the Reds have a guy that can be easily replaced at near minimum salaries and that comparable players are found for nothing. I don't see why people are excited about this.

Guys like Perez are not hard to replace. When you talk about catching prospects, I thought the goal would be to find a guy that could actually help the major league team. Finding guys that can compete with Sal Fasano and Chad Moeller is not something that I want to see in my catcing prospects.

I can see him having some career as a defensive minded back-up, but his hitting skills will prevent him from being anything more than that. And those guys are extremely easy to replace.

I'm not overly excited either. I just think its preferable to have guys who are reasonable options internally as compared to the competition who seem to be giving jobs to comparable players and overpaying to do so.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I think he deserves a chance? Is he going to Winter Ball?

Charlie Brown, do NOT try to kick the Miguel Perez football again. We know how that ends up.

He's still a pure hacker. That he hit for some power this year is only interesting in that someone ought to run chem tests on his bodily fluids.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

M2 I am not Charlie Brown so stop name calling. You are Boston leave Reds players alone.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Unless Ryan Hanigan is worse than Javier Valentin with the glove, I think he's got a great shot to be an average-or-better catcher in MLB. He consistently makes contact with the ball, and that's worth a lot, in my opinion. Craig Tatum supposedly plays good defense, but the questions have always been about his hitting. With that said, he arguably has a better track record than Miguel Perez.
    1. Mesoraco
    2. Hanigan
    3. Tatum
    4. Perez
    5. Colina

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    M2 I am not Charlie Brown so stop name calling. You are Boston leave Reds players alone.
    Wasn't talking about you specifically. People have been getting suckered on Perez for years.

Don't see what me being in Boston has to do with it. I like living in Boston.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

At this point Ross is a much better hitter than Perez or Tatum. It's not close.

This isn't because Ross is a good hitter. He's not. I'd like to see the Reds look elsewhere for catching next season (Michael Barrett???), but that doesn't mean Tatum/Perez is better than Ross. They can't hit AA pitching any better than Ross hits major league pitching. I'm guessing that will only get worse when they face advanced competition.
    Just curious, are you referring to the Michael Barrett who will be 31 in 2008 and just came off a year in which he hit .244/.281/.372 while making $4.5M? Catcher in his earlier 30's, coming of a horrible offensive year, not a good clubhouse reputation, and not known for his defense or ability to work with catchers. That's a risk I'll let somebody else take.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Just curious, are you referring to the Michael Barrett who will be 31 in 2008 and just came off a year in which he hit .244/.281/.372 while making $4.5M? Catcher in his earlier 30's, coming of a horrible offensive year, not a good clubhouse reputation, and not known for his defense or ability to work with catchers. That's a risk I'll let somebody else take.
    Ya he had a sucky season, but he was one of the better catchers in the league going into the season with 3 straight .800+ OPS seasons. Being 31 I think he is a terrific rebound candidate. I also think he isn't that bad defensively.

With his reputation, you may be able to get him dirt cheap all things considered and find yourself with an above average starter. Considering the alternatives, it beats going with Ross for another year (this is assuming that we can dump his contract).

They may be able to get him dirt cheap, but 31 for a catcher is old.
    You may get one more decent season out of him offensively but you get next to nothing defensively.
    And in a season where we could very well see Bailey, Cueto and Maloney all see significant time, I'll pass on a catcher that doesn't bother to spend time with the pitchers.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?