Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 125 pitches??!!

Re: 125 pitches??!!

How do people like this offense (or lack thereof) with guys like Dunn and Jr absent? Not pretty at all is it?

I hope Wayne is noticing this.
    Last edited by GAC; 09-29-2007 at 08:33 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll bet Harang asked to stay in and finish off his season. There would be no reason for a manager to do that, and Harang could have asked for a seat and a stand up ovation. Nothing to get excited about. I'm more interested in the Phillies right now. What a finish coming, memories of "99". And the Mets in it again. I'm pulling for the Phillies.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    How do people like this offense (or lack thereof) with guys like Dunn and Jr absent? Not pretty at all is it?

GAC, the word anemic comes to mind. It's what I've been saying all season. How important are Dunn and Junior? Very important and before anyone wants to get rid of either, you have to replace 70 HR's and 200 RBI's. Hopper's 16 RBI's this season speaks volumes as does Freel's 16. Without pop in the outfield (IMHO Dunn, Junior and Hamilton), you're sunk.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

How come we aren't little-thinging and hustling our way to wins? If all that crap that a couple genious broadcasters preach from their pulpit high above homeplate, where are the runs and wins?

I hope Franchester is noticing this.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

It really doesn't matter that much as he's not going to pitch again until next march.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Aaron Harang...

Year: 115+ pitches, 120+ pitches
    2005: 7 games, 3 games
    2006: 11 games, 4 games
    2007: 8 games, 5 games
    >> 120+ pitch games incl. in 115+ pitch games.

I am not worried about today's game. Harang has proven to me that he is a workhorse. This year and his stats has not proven that his past workload has been a great strain on him.

What is the limit? I am not sure, but I like to think that some guys can take more than others. The limit is not the same for all.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Aaron Harang...

Year: 115+ pitches, 120+ pitches
    2005: 7 games, 3 games
    2006: 11 games, 4 games
    2007: 8 games, 5 games
    >> 120+ pitch games incl. in 115+ pitch games.

I am not worried about today's game. Harang has proven to me that he is a workhorse. This year and his stats has not proven that his past workload has been a great strain on him.

What is the limit? I am not sure, but I like to think that some guys can take more than others. The limit is not the same for all.
    Listen to the man.. he has the spreadsheet on this... as I hope too as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    It really doesn't matter that much as he's not going to pitch again until next march.
    Games like today can still effect you for years. Unless he is a complete animal (maybe), then it has been shown that pitcher abuse effects pitchers for years.. I think it was COMPLETELY meaningless to leave him out there. There was nothing positive that could have helped the Reds future by doing it. It only could have hurt the future.

For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Listen to the man.. he has the spreadsheet on this... as I hope too as well.
    One more day (game) and it'll be there, woy.
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Games like today can still effect you for years.
    I think that's a little extreme.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I think that's a little extreme.
    Well I don't really mean today's game alone, but a group of games like today's is what I'm getting at. And this was a meaningless game. I wasn't fired up at all earlier in the year when he was pitching this much in one game. But this was 100% meaningless to send him back out.

If you can tell me one positive that could have come out of him going out there for the 8th, then I might let it go a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Well I don't really mean today's game alone, but a group of games like today's is what I'm getting at. And this was a meaningless game. I wasn't fired up at all earlier in the year when he was pitching this much in one game. But this was 100% meaningless to send him back out.

If you can tell me one positive that could have come out of him going out there for the 8th, then I might let it go a bit.
    Stanton & Majewski didn't pitch?

Stanton & Majewski didn't pitch?
    touche

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    You can't average out pitches like that.

200 pitches in one game will do more damage than 1 pitch a day for 200 days.
    The 200 number was a bit of hyperbole, but the basic point still stands. A 125 pitch outing wasn't going to destroy his arm, and with more than enough rest afterwards he wasn't going to build up any fatigue from it.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think it's more of a question of risk. Even if there's a just 1% chance that he'd do some damage by throwing 15-20 more pitches than most of would like, why take it?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?