Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial High-Def Movie Thread

Re: The Unofficial High-Def Movie Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Yup, it's over. Blu-Ray has won the "war". It's just a matter of time until Universal (and Paramount) go BR-exclusive.

Whether or not it's the better format, it'll help end consumer confusion and give hi-def media a chance to really take off.
    I agree that it's pretty much over. IMHO, having Disney in the BR-exclusive camp gave them a big advantage to begin with. Coupled with the PS3 BR "Trojan Horse" effect, it really never projected to be an HD DVD world for next-gen HDM. Losing Paramount was a minor hit, but it was only delaying the inevitable. The Warner move simply pushes the HD DVD demise forward.

Warner actually pushed the idea of HD DVD/Blu-Ray combo discs at last year's CES. No one else bit, and here's where we're at- with the largest seller of DVD and HD abandoning a format they previously thought could help.

Retailers have been helpful as well. When I walk into a Sam's Club or a Target, I see Blu-Ray endcaps. When I walk into a Best Buy, I see Blu-Ray demo and browsers talking about Blu-Ray. Even during last week's buy-3-get-2-free HD-DVD sale, I was next to an HD DVD player owner while searching for movies worth buying. Neither of us could find those five so we left without purchasing anything other than a single Blu Ray title (RE: Extinction). And with Warner gone, it's only going to get worse.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

The HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle officially ended on Christmas morning when I opened up my shiny new HD-DVD player from my wife.

As far as movies go, we have the Transformers, the last two Harry Potters, Knocked Up, Serenity, and Children of Men plus five more coming from the deal for buying the player. We got Goblet of Fire, Knocked Up, Serenity, and Children of Men during a 2-for-1 deal at Amazon...Santa brought me the other two.

I haven't had a chance to watch them all yet what with all the football on lately but I've watched the Transformers and Serenity. I loved Transformers, having been a big fan of the cartoon. It was really popular during my college days and we watched it every afternoon after classes. That one really put the player through its paces and it did great. I watched Serenity last night and really enjoyed it. One thing I noticed in that movie was that the actors had really bad skin. Not sure if that was due to the fact that they saved money on the movie by not hiring the best make-up people or if it was just the HD-DVD format showing *everything*.

Maybe a few months down the road I can present a viable argument for getting a PS3 for the basement. Maybe.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I took the gamble on the HD DVD player when I nabbed a Toshiba A3 for $99 with 7 movies. Not really a regret as it upscales my existing DVDs very nicely. I will wait for a price drop on Blue Ray players though before buying.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

HD-DVD is definitely cheaper, but the problem is, the library catalog isn't as large as Blu-Ray...and it will be falling behind with Warner-Bros/New-Line's announcement.

Just as an example, here's a few movies you'll only see on Blu-Ray:

The Lord of the Rings
    The Matrix trilogy
    I am Legend
    Batman (new releases)
    Harry Potter (new releases)
    Blade trilogy
    Austin Powers 1-3
    Se7en
    The Golden Compass
    Blow
    Dark City
    The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
    Wedding Crashers
    Harold & Kumar
    Dr. Zhivago
    North By Northwest
    Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    Heat
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Twister

and on and on...

I own The Matrix Trilogy on HD-DVD.

You can still find a large portion of those on that list on HD-DVD.

HD-DVD is definitely cheaper, but the problem is, the library catalog isn't as large as Blu-Ray...and it will be falling behind with Warner-Bros/New-Line's announcement.

Just as an example, here's a few movies you'll only see on Blu-Ray:

The Lord of the Rings
    The Matrix trilogy
    I am Legend
    Batman (new releases)
    Harry Potter (new releases)
    Blade trilogy
    Austin Powers 1-3
    Se7en
    The Golden Compass
    Blow
    Dark City
    The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
    Wedding Crashers
    Harold & Kumar
    Dr. Zhivago
    North By Northwest
    Casablanca
    Citizen Kane
    Heat
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Twister

and on and on...
    As WilyMo noted, The Matrix trilogy is already out on HD DVD. I haven't heard any reports of LOTR trilogy being produced, but it's hard for me to believe that it won't be. I really doubt that trilogy could be produced (especially in the "Extended" versions) in high-def on HD DVD anyway unless they included lossy audio. Not enough storage space.

Future Harry Potter films, The Dark Knight, The Golden Compass, I am Legend represent a big hit to the HD DVD side. No more Smallville: Season 7 either. I'd love to see the Blade Trilogy and Dark City (extremely underrated film) released in Blu Ray. Twister has an HD DVD scheduled release date for May 6th though, but that might be in doubt at this point.

But even with Warner in the mix, the HD DVD list is pretty sad over the next five to six months.

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

They timed the arrival of the Bourne trilogy right, as it came fairly hot on the heels of huge deals on HD DVD players, and Stardust is a fun recent exclusive. The Kingdom may be something I'll want to own. But I'm looking at that list for HD DVD-exclusive big hits and/or films of decent interest and all I get back is:

Zodiac: Director's Cut (Paramount)
    Elizabeth: The Golden Age (Universal)
    Beowulf (Paramount)
    Bee Movie (Dreamworks)

For catalogue titles, here's what I'd be even mildly interested in:

The Pianist (wife loves it...no wisecracks!)
    Dazed and Confuzed (re-release)
    Star Trek Orig. Season 2 (Paramount)

That's it. Apparantly, Paramount has postponed the Jack Ryan collection, which is a solid catalogue trilogy. I'd love to have the new, retooled and remastered Star Trek original series seasons, but as Paramount is likely the next studio to go Blu, I ain't shelling out money for it on HD DVD. Beowulf might be the only new release HD DVD exclusive I'll purchase this year, unless Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk are X-Mas HD DVD release date targets (assuming HD DVD is still around).

Now, when I look at the Blu-Ray exclusives, I get:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/releasedates.html

New Releases:

3:10 to Yuma
    Dragon Wars
    Good Luck Chuck
    Sunshine
    Saw IV
    We Own the Night
    30 Days of Night (which really does own the night)
    No Country for Old Men

Catalogue:

Con Air
    The Rock
    Monty Python's Life of Brian
    Crimson Tide
    Master & Commander
    Ice Age
    Dogma
    Gattica
    I, Robot
    Godzilla
    Hidalgo
    Unbreakable

And that's just through the beginning of May. Sin City is a weird one. The original is reportedly still owned by Disney and could see production in 2008, but Sin City 2 is Weinstein; meaning that the second could see an HD DVD-only release.

Honestly, I see the two exclusive-release lineups side-by-side over the next few months, and see Blu Ray simply throttling HD DVD in sales volume over the next few months even with Warner being kind enough to wait a bit to go BR-only. Once they leave...well...
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I've never seen a U.S. release for The Matrix trilogy. Did you buy an import?

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/p...e-hd-dvd-door/

The Financial Times is reporting that Paramount is preparing to use a get out clause in its HD DVD exclusivity deal, and go back to Blu-ray, about 4 months after ending its dual-format release schedule. The move would be a result of Warner's switch to Blu-ray, using a "get out" clause in Paramount's promotional agreement with the HD DVD camp. No details on what it might take to rip up the contract and make Michael Bay very, very happy, but if the rumor proves true this could make the slow death he predicted for HD DVD a very, very fast one.

I can't believe they didn't get LOTR trilogy extended editions out on Hi-Def for the Holidays.

Seriously, I see two copies of that in both releases ("Complete Matrix Trilogy" and "Ultimate Matrix Trilogy") every time I walk through my local Best Buy's HDM section.

--Ted Williams

Nope. Bought it at Best Buy. They actually have two Matrix Trilogy releases. One is just the three movies; the other is called "The Ultimate Matrix" something or other... that's the one that I got. It's the one that is the hi-def transfer of the earlier Ultimate Matrix release that contained the anime Matrix movie and special commentaries by critics and historians.

Well, I stand corrected. Thanks, WMR/Steel.

Now, if Paramount goes BR-only shortly...

NP, GIK.

Thanks for this amazing site. My favorite place on the internet.

Should Paramount bolt, that'd be the proverbial killing stroke.

And I know that Michael Bay wasn't happy about the move to HD DVD exclusivity. He's still not happy. You may have seen this already, GIK, but for everyone else, here he is in all his glory at michaelbay.com:

http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...read.php?t=842

Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!

Bay
    Um...ouch?

If Endgadget's source is right, it's time to prepare for HD DVD bargain bin dumpster diving.

--Ted Williams

Hey Steel: You are the king of the dumpster diving deals. Make sure you bump this thread whenever you come across a deal in stores or on the internet.

I love me some cheap hi-def DVDS.

Turn Off Ads?