Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dunn is Reds' lightning rod

Re: Dunn is Reds' lightning rod

I don't want to turn this into a Poor Adam Dunn thread but this quote from Thom really intrigued me.

"In the short time Iíve been here, Iíve found (Dunn) to be an outgoing, just a nice guy,Ē Thom Brennaman says. ďBut Iím not sure if any of the fans have seen him really warm to being a Red. I donít know why that is, and that might be completely inaccurate.

ĒBut it seems to me a guy like him could have really owned this town, because he has such an engaging personality ... Iíve thought this about a lot of different players in a lot of different towns: If the players never make it feel like they want to be one with the fans, the fans are not going to treat them like they are. I think the fans want to see that Adam wants to be a Red forever. They want to feel like he wants to be here.ď

I don't know what he has to do to make people believe that he wants to be a Red. He didn't have to sign that deal when Wayne took over. He could have gone to arbitration and bailed after his 6th year.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

2nd on the team in seniority, he's still here.. what else does have to do?

Eat a bag of JTM at Fountain Square with Bill Cunningham?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I don't want to turn this into a Poor Adam Dunn thread but this quote from Thom really intrigued me.

"In the short time Iíve been here, Iíve found (Dunn) to be an outgoing, just a nice guy,Ē Thom Brennaman says. ďBut Iím not sure if any of the fans have seen him really warm to being a Red. I donít know why that is, and that might be completely inaccurate.

ĒBut it seems to me a guy like him could have really owned this town, because he has such an engaging personality ... Iíve thought this about a lot of different players in a lot of different towns: If the players never make it feel like they want to be one with the fans, the fans are not going to treat them like they are. I think the fans want to see that Adam wants to be a Red forever. They want to feel like he wants to be here.ď

I don't know what he has to do to make people believe that he wants to be a Red. He didn't have to sign that deal when Wayne took over. He could have gone to arbitration and bailed after his 6th year.
    yeah, other than say he wants to be a Red in the press. Thom is a moron.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post

That may be so but he's probably not wrong. I honestly think people feel like that. I think people felt like that about Eric Davis tgoo. They probably felt that the forst opportunity he got, he'd be off to LA. Of course he did end up there but it wasn't his doing. People here get their undies in a bunch if a Reds' player even hints that he likes to play in another city. When the Reds went out to SEA Jr. was so moved by the response of the Mariners fans he said he wouldn't mind going back to SEA. You remember the tempest it caused. When Arroyo was traded here he kept saying he missed BOS and even though he was having a good year, he caught a lot of flack for that until he signed that long term deal.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I happen to agree with Thom's perception of the fans problem with Dunn. Many, if not most Reds fans haven't adopted Dunn as one of their own. They just don't see him as a "true Red". Just as the Yankees have this mythical identity which involves doing certain things, so do the Reds. A-Rod, for all his wonderful performance, isn't a "true Yankee" the way Jeter or Bernie Williams is.

It's a cultural thing more than anything else. Dunn doesn't seem like he could be from Cincinnati and hasn't sucked up to the right people. He hasn't sacrificed for the team. He hasn't taken less money or carried the team to the playoffs on his back. Obviously these aren't fair criticisms. They are more judgments on the way fans react to players than anything else. But I don't think Thom Brennamen is at fault for recognizing it.

You can tell when the player has been adopted because people will talk about their strengths rather than their weaknesses. Sean Casey was a friendly guy who could rope doubles rather than a power challenged, slow footed, slap hitter. Dunn is a lazy guy who swings the fences and doesn't care about striking out or defense rather than a offensive machine who walks 100 times a year while hitting 40 homers.

Now, if Thom is implying that Adam Dunn should be more outgoing and trying to win a fan base, I'd have to disagree. The problem lies with stupid fans. But I don't think there's any doubt that Dunn has never been accepted by a large portion of the Reds fanbase.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

It's a cultural thing more than anything else. Dunn doesn't seem like he could be from Cincinnati and hasn't sucked up to the right people.
    Funny... the same has been said about me.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Funny... the same has been said about me.

It's because you don't use the little words that win posts.

Rally killer.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

I am completely convinced that the Cincinnati public's opinion of Adam Dunn is shaped by one Franchester Brennamen. His word is gospel in the Rhineland, and no matter how he explains away his relentless attacks, they are woven into the fabric of Dunn's public persona.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

If the people of Cincinnati are waiting for Adam Dunn to say how much he loves them because they're the greatest ever and he'd be willing to play there for free forever (and cut down on strikeouts!!) because it's just the bestest place on the planet then that's their problem. Honestly, if this is true then Cincinnati has a bigger collective chip on it's shoulder than I thought. How lame.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

A couple years ago in the Houston press he more or less said he wouldn't mind being an Astro - he was just saying it probably to be nice (and who wouldn't want to go back home) - but it got fans uppitty.

Bear with me on this... (ramble)
    The problem I see not only with this issue but with other issues surrounding baseball is that baseball fans like to live in the past. The player that some fans want/desire no longer exists. Gone are the days when players identified with not only a team but with the city/region as well. Some, notably Arroyo and Harang, have reached out to the community and are more visible. It's petty to look at these things and not the product on the field, but fans want a complete package to really feel as if the player wants to be here. It can be very petty in a very small way, i.e., not posing for pictures at the previous RedsFest (not last year's which he missed with the new baby) - I along with others who were not interested in autographs were disappointed. But it sticksÖ And NO I don't hate Dunn, I was just disappointed.

I was going to go into comparing Dunn with Perez and Bench but it sounded strange...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

If the people of Cincinnati are waiting for Adam Dunn to say how much he loves them because they're the greatest ever and he'd be willing to play there for free forever (and cut down on strikeouts!!) because it's just the bestest place on the planet then that's their problem. Honestly, if this is true then Cincinnati has a bigger collective chip on it's shoulder than I thought. How lame.
    Hey, we're morons, remember???!!!

Edit... Thom's a moron - but the people are a close second!!!
    Last edited by KittyDuran; 10-01-2007 at 09:49 PM.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

IIRC, he was asked the Houston press if he wanted to play for the Astros and he responded something like.... (paraphrasing) sure, everyone wants to go home someday.

... instead of really looking at what he said, Cincinnati fans went balistic.

It wasn't a flat out "do you want to play for Houston" and he answered "yes, I do".
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

If he wanted out he wouldn't have signed a deal that gives the Reds 3 years, he could have refused and already be gone.

Why do people miss that?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    If he wanted out he wouldn't have signed a deal that gives the Reds 3 years, he could have refused and already be gone.

Why do people miss that?
    I don't know, Krono... I just don't know.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post

Why do people miss that?
    I quess some people choose to ignore any/everything that goes against their preconcieved notions. It's easier for them that way.

Turn Off Ads?