Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Notes: Bruce wants more than award

Re: Reds 2008 OF

[QUOTE=Will M;1474993Keeping both Dunn and Griffey around to start 2008 is a mistake IMO. We have a logjam and we have needs ( pitching ).
    Trading Griffey for the best return and starting Bruce all season is the best plan IMO.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, but I don't see it happening

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Notes: Bruce wants more than award

Bruce can get plenty of AB's as a 4th OF. Dunn could use a couple of extra days off per year. Griffey needs lots of rest. Hamilton, between injury and rest, requires an understudy. Between starts, he becomes the first bat off the bench. I don't think that Jay is the kind of guy to get disgruntled about a reserve role in the Majors, so long as there is playing time available. OTOH, how is he going to feel about "playing every day" in Louisville while Norris Hopper is getting his AB's with the Reds?

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Bruce can get plenty of AB's as a 4th OF. Dunn could use a couple of extra days off per year. Griffey needs lots of rest. Hamilton, between injury and rest, requires an understudy. Between starts, he becomes the first bat off the bench. I don't think that Jay is the kind of guy to get disgruntled about a reserve role in the Majors, so long as there is playing time available. OTOH, how is he going to feel about "playing every day" in Louisville while Norris Hopper is getting his AB's with the Reds?
    If Jay's on the major league team, he starts with no reservations. Hamilton would have to "settle" for backup duty for the year.

If Jay's on the major league team, he starts with no reservations. Hamilton would have to "settle" for backup duty for the year.
    Jay Bruce had an OPS of .965, 1.057, and .925 at A, AA, and AAA respectively.

Josh Hamilton posted an OPS of .922 in the Major Leagues.

Both have similar physical tools. Why do you think that Jay automatically deserves to start over Josh?

Barring a trade, I would try to get them both around 400 ABs next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Jay Bruce had an OPS of .965, 1.057, and .925 at A, AA, and AAA respectively.

Josh Hamilton posted an OPS of .922 in the Major Leagues.

Both have similar physical tools. Why do you think that Jay automatically deserves to start over Josh?

Barring a trade, I would try to get them both around 400 ABs next year.
    Because that means Jay Bruce is ready to start right now and contribute at such a high rate at his age, he must start. Hamilton did that 922 OPS on limited playing time. He would have to wait untill Griffey is out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Because that means Jay Bruce is ready to start right now and contribute at such a high rate at his age, he must start. Hamilton did that 922 OPS on limited playing time. He would have to wait untill Griffey is out of the picture.
    Hamilton had 298 ABs of .922 OPS in the Majors. Bruce had 187 ABs of .925 OPS in AAA. Hamilton is already producing at a high rate in the Major Leagues. If we were talking about replacing an average ML OF with Bruce, then I would get behind starting him right away. As it stands, he is one of the four best OF in the Reds organization, so I want him in Cincinnati. He is so much better than the fifth best OF that I want him to get lots of ABs for Cincinnati. However, I cannot say that he will out produce any one of Dunn, Hamilton, or Griffey in 2008.

Hamilton, Freel, and Hopper combined for 882 ABs in 2007. Splitting those ABs between Hamilton and Bruce would give them each 441 ABs or about 2/3 of a starting role. That is 80 fewer ABs than Bruce had between A, AA, and AAA last year, more than enough to get him broken in to the Majors.

To be fair Red Heeler, Josh did that mainly against RHP, where as Jay had no platoon working for him
    While it definately would have made sense to get Josh some AB's against lefties, it really didn't happen until the end of the season just before he got hurt.

Really its nice to have both.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    To be fair Red Heeler, Josh did that mainly against RHP, where as Jay had no platoon working for him
    While it definately would have made sense to get Josh some AB's against lefties, it really didn't happen until the end of the season just before he got hurt.

Really its nice to have both.
    Plate appearances would be the more accurate, but at-bats is more readily availabe. Josh had roughly 76% of his ABs against righties. Jay was at about 70%, so there is only a small difference there.

Don't get me wrong, I expect that Bruce will be the better player in the future. However, I do not expect him to significantly out produce Hamilton out of the gate in 2008. In that case, why not give both players a big chunk of opportunity next year?

Turn Off Ads?