Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Sports Ohio announcers status?

Fox Sports Ohio announcers status?

Does anyone know the status of the announcers on Fox Sports Ohio? Seems to me like they were auditioning all yr for their jobs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fox Sports Ohio announcers status?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio View Post
    Does anyone know the status of the announcers on Fox Sports Ohio? Seems to me like they were auditioning all yr for their jobs.
    Do you mean George Grande and Chris Welsh? They've been on the air together for several years. I'm pretty sure their jobs are safe.

I mean all the guys, I know Thom and the cowboy are safe, but Jim Day, Grande and Welsh and Picora?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fazio View Post
    I mean all the guys, I know Thom and the cowboy are safe, but Jim Day, Grande and Welsh and Picora?
    I could see Day and Picora, but aside from that, nah. Grande and Welsh have been together forever, Grande is the hall of fame announcer / guy who does the press conferences for them. I seriously doubt we'd get rid of them.

I still wouldn't mind having Steve Stewart retun to the TV booth in place of George Grande. He's solid - not specacular - and was often a counterpoint, ever so mildly, to Marty's opinions/rants.

I don't know why we don't have a three man television booth. Looking at the credits at the end of today's game, they must be making money. Everybody and their brother works for FSN. I think Stewart would be a great addition. He has a very good voice. He would be the middle man in that group, because he knows alot about the game, and he has the voice.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

I concur with the Steve Stewart thoughts on bringing him in the booth--unlike others, I could see Grande and/or Welsh not being back next season....Welsh especially---he did not seem to mesh with Thom and we know Thom is here to stay. Plus as far as Day and Pic; they are basically expendable parts...I like Day, but someone like Stewart could fill his position easily...

I remember back several years, when Reggie Rucker was doing NFL coverage for one of the Networks, and he was caught making up stories about talking to players, the "night before", or "before the game". Grande seems to me to pull the same schtick. Either making up a conversation or blowing it up way beyond the scope of any actual verbal intercourse. Wow! I got to use that word outside of sexual context

I disagree, gedred69--I dont thing Grande is dishonest--he just hypes things up too much--especially on the optimistic side of things--and he does have a good rapport with most major leaguers

Day does a similar gig (pregame/ postgame/ intermissions) for FSN Ohio with the Columbus BlueJackets. I believe that is going to be 75+ games this year so with the Reds expanded schedule he is a busy guy. Pic occassionally fills in there too, at least in Columbus; I have never seen him on one of their road games.

It seems to me they could use another guy in the mix. I think Joe did more radio than originally intended this year. With his age and health concerns who knows how many if any he will be able to do in the future. Ideally they might might want a man who could work both booths like Thom and Jeff. I would love to see the BadBoy back in there but somehow I don't see the Reds allowing him into the radio booth.

I hope something works out for Steve either in Cincy or elsewhere. I really like his work and personality. I believe he was a real victim of circumstance from the word go with the radio because it just does not work that well unless the 2nd guy has been a player or been around long enough to project knowledge like he was. For instance Thom is outstanding with Brantley but it seems he and his dad are only marginally better than Marty and Steve were for the same reasons with that marginally coming from the father/ son dynamics.
    Last edited by jnwohio; 10-01-2007 at 06:00 PM.

My thoughts concerning George Grande. Well...he is already on the broadcast team, So Castellini/ FSN should get it over with and give in to my demand he be replaced.

Thank God Steves Gone

y'all can't be serious with steve stewart, he is a clown..

I enjoy Picora over Day. Pic seems to have a little more rapport with the players.

Cowboy; I hope you are joking about Steve...

Thank God Steves Gone

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan1966 View Post
    Cowboy; I hope you are joking about Steve...
    no im not.. hearing steve on the radio to me was like hearing the wallflowers on the radio.. i dont understand the man-love for him on RedsZone.. i mean if he was honestly as good as you say he is then he would still be on the radio.. All this hate on this board for great broadcasters like Thom and love for hacks like Steve Stewart is ridiculous! If Steve Was so good than when he got fired than he would have latrched on somewhere else, dont ya think?
    Last edited by The Cowboy; 10-03-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Turn Off Ads?