Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Fay's 2007 awards

John Fay's 2007 awards

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...T04/709300402/

The envelope, please
    Reds writer John Fay hands out the awards to the 2007 Reds

MVP: David Weathers.
    If you go with the name of the award - Most Valuable Player - you can make a strong argument that Weathers deserves it. No player had more value to the club on an everyday basis.
    Without Weathers, the Reds conceivably could have lost 100 games. He converted 33 of 39 saves chances, despite going more than one inning in 11 of those saves, second most in the majors.

Aaron Harang certainly brought a lot of value to the team, as well.

If you go with Most Outstanding Player, Brandon Phillips is the guy. He went 30-30, drove in 94 runs and played the best second base since Pokey Reese was with the club.

CY YOUNG: Aaron Harang. He developed into the 200-inning, 200-strikeout horse at the front of the rotation the Reds have been looking for since Jose Rijo's elbow blew up. The Reds were 24-10 when Harang started. That's a remarkable stat for a team so far under .500. Harang was a lot harder to hit this year. He allowed 213 hits in 231 2/3 innings. Last year, he gave up 242 hits in 234 1/3 innings.

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Jared Burton. Josh Hamilton had a remarkable year - .292, 19 home runs and 47 RBI in 90 games - for someone basically out of baseball for four years.

But again, if you talk about value to the team, Burton has him beat. Burton is 4-2 with a 2.51 ERA.

But his ability to lock down the eighth inning was the biggest difference after manager Pete Mackanin took over.

COMEBACK PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Josh Hamilton. It's hard to come back when you've never been someplace, as with Hamilton and the major leagues. But when you consider what Hamilton came back from in life, there's no other choice.

MANAGER OF THE YEAR: Pete Mackanin. Mackanin took a team that was dead in the water and got it to play with energy and heart. Fans fixate on the lineups and pitching changes. But the mark of a manager is getting the most out of his players. Burton is an example of that, as is Javier Valentin.

BIGGEST SURPRISE (in a good way): Jeff Keppinger. You could have asked 100 people on Fountain Square who Keppinger was on Opening Day, and maybe three would have known. But Keppinger can hit. He showed that by batting .393 in July. His emergence gives the club another chip to rebuild with.

BIGGEST SURPRISE (in a not-so-good way): Mike Stanton. The Reds were hoping he'd be part of the closing tandem with David Weathers. Stanton never found his groove. His ERA is over 6.00. Hitters are hitting well over .300 off him, and he has a year remaining on his contract.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Fay's 2007 awards

I don't care much for the Fay's semantical differentiation between 'valuable' and 'outstanding'...

Brandon Phillips was the Most XXX Player on the Reds team this year.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Anyone who mentions any player in the same breath with Pokey Reese needs to be ignored.

It's sort of sad that he can give out a "Manager of the Year" award.

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    It's sort of sad that he can give out a "Manager of the Year" award.
    Even the idea of such an award is really lame when limited to one team.

By the way, I give both the MVP and Cy Young to Harang. Even the local media doesn't fully realize how wonderful he's been the last few years.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Through 9/18/07, The Hardball Times had calculated that Adam Dunn was the Reds team leader with 22 Win Shares. Brandon Phillips ranked second on the Reds with 19 Win Shares, while Aaron Harang and Ken Griffey Jr. each had 17 Win Shares. I doubt that those numbers significantly changed during the final two weeks of the season.
    Even though Dunn was the team leader in Win Shares, I agree that good arguments could be made for Phillips and for Harang as the Reds 2007 MVP, but I find it strange that Fay didn't even mention the team leader in Win Shares (and HRs and RBI) in his MVP discussion.
    Oh, as for Weathers, he had 10 Win Shares, putting him in a three way tie for 8th on the team. No, he wasn't the Reds MVP.
    As for the Reds rookie of the year, Hamilton had 13 Win Shares; Burton had 6.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

It's just jaw-dropping that someone can get paid to cover the Reds for an entire season, and thinks that David Weathers is the MVP of this team. I'm sorry, I just moved back to Cincinnati, and I can't believe how dumb the sports media is in this town. They were horrible in Chicago as well, but not nearly this bad.

I am not in any way exaggerating when I say that there are at least 20 or 30 posters on this board who would do a much, much better job covering this team than ANYONE currently paid to do so - even if they had no access to the team or players.

Man Pills

Dunn's been the MVP the last 6 seasons--and it's not been very close.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Dunn's been the MVP the last 6 seasons--and it's not been very close.
    Uh, I disagree.

2003 Dunn was not the team's MVP. In 2005, I would probably have given it to Griffey over Dunn.... and even if you disagree, it is at least close. I also think Harang was more valuable to the team this year than Dunn was, although Dunn was a close second before you widen the gap to the rest of the guys. Then last year Arroyo and Harang were right there with Dunn as well, and I would have given either of them the award over Dunn.

I would have to rank the John Fay 2007 Baseball Awards right up there with the Paris Hilton Award for Excellence in Nuclear Physics, or dare I say, even the Billy Ray Cyrus Award for Quantum Mechanics.

They're equally qualified to suggest awards in each of these disciplines.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

This article makes my head hurt.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Through 9/18/07, The Hardball Times had calculated that Adam Dunn was the Reds team leader with 22 Win Shares. Brandon Phillips ranked second on the Reds with 19 Win Shares, while Aaron Harang and Ken Griffey Jr. each had 17 Win Shares. I doubt that those numbers significantly changed during the final two weeks of the season.
    Even though Dunn was the team leader in Win Shares, I agree that good arguments could be made for Phillips and for Harang as the Reds 2007 MVP, but I find it strange that Fay didn't even mention the team leader in Win Shares (and HRs and RBI) in his MVP discussion.
    Oh, as for Weathers, he had 10 Win Shares, putting him in a three way tie for 8th on the team. No, he wasn't the Reds MVP.
    As for the Reds rookie of the year, Hamilton had 13 Win Shares; Burton had 6.
    Does Fay regularly discusss Win Shares? Somehow I don't think so...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

John Fay's 2007 awards.

MVP: David Weathers?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    John Fay's 2007 awards.

MVP: David Weathers?
    Of all of the people to cover the Reds regularly, John Fay is the least likely to have a clue. Manager of the year. Sounds like we had six. We had two. One was engulfed in sucktitude and the other was a nice guy who had a winning record. It's so easy that it doesn't need to be said.

And Weathers is the luckiest pither I've ever seen. When it comes to missing bats, David should work for Louisville slugger.

My Reds MVP for 2007?? Brandon Phillips!!!

Turn Off Ads?