Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Mike Stanton in the bullpen in 2009

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes- I want to see him in 2009

5 11.11%
  • No- Make sure gets 70 or less appearances next year

40 88.89%

Thread: Merged: Stanton half way to 2009 Roster Spot and 2.75 Mil - Do you want him in 2009?

Merged: Stanton half way to 2009 Roster Spot and 2.75 Mil - Do you want him in 2009?

What were they thinking?

It' the top of the 9th, leading a meaningless game Reds leading
    8-4, Cubbies haven't scored in 4 innings, and who does Wayne put in to "mop up"?
    Stanton.
    Why does it matter?

If Stanton has 140 appearances in 2007-2008 his contract becomes guaranteed for 2009 at $2,750,000
    Today's effort puts him at 69. If he hadn't gone on the DL earlier this year he would be more than half way there.

If I knew how to set up a poll, I would, feel free to do one with this if you know how.

Is there anyone out there who wants to:
    1. have him on the roster in 09
    2. pay him that kind of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

For reference, all of you Coffey haters out their, Stanton and Coffey have almost identical stats, (except age) for 2007

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Stanton half way to 2009 Roster Spot and 2.75 Mil

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeIndicator View Post
    It' the top of the 9th, leading a meaningless game Reds leading
    8-4, Cubbies haven't scored in 4 innings, and who does Wayne put in to "mop up"?
    Stanton.
    Pete Mackanin is the one making those decisions.

As for Stanton, well, let's just hope he goes David Weathers on us next year...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    As for Stanton, well, let's just hope he goes David Weathers on us next year...
    Not going to happen.

Stanton is done. He's been done all year, maybe longer. Every time we run him out there, he always does terribly. It's a bit disheartening to know we don't use him because we like his pitching, but we use him just to have our name in the record books as the club that Stanton broke the appearance record for.

Would you like to see Mike Stanton in the bullpen in 2009?

A fellow member requested we have a poll like this, so here it is. Mike Stanton needs 140 appearances in 2007-2008 to automatically have his 2.75 million option picked up, and he had 69 appearances this year. Mike Stanton has been a much better reliever previously, but it is clear he had a terrible year this year. He went 1-3 with a 5.93 ERA in 69 games, 57 2/3 IP, 75 hits, 18 walks, and 40 strikeouts. There is a chance Mike Stanton might regain his old form next year, but it is doubtful at his age. Vote Yes or No on whether you want to see Mike Stanton get the 71 appearances next year he needs to get the 2009 option. I voted No. He was once a good reliever, but make sure he is not used much next year. I just don't see any evidence he has anything left. I know Krivsky likes old relievers, but he has gotten rid of ineffective relievers before. I hope he does the right thing and retires in the off-season.
    Last edited by AmarilloRed; 09-30-2007 at 09:21 PM.

Senor Votto

Re: Would you like to see Mike Stanton in the bullpen in 2009?

I'm sure everyone will vote No except Wayne and Stanton

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    I'm sure everyone will vote No except Wayne and Stanton
    You never know. I once created a poll where I asked if we wanted to see Dumatrait as a September call-up, and I thought he wouldn't receive any support, but there were some votes for him. I have seen some very passionate posts on why Mike Stanton was a very good reliever with the exception of a couple appearances where he was simply horrid.

He was a good reliever in the past, but it is clear(to me) that he needs to have an outstanding Spring training to receive much playing time in 2008.

yeah hes great because when you criticize him the rest of the moderators get upset

Who's the baseball genius that voted "yes"? Stanton's wife?

Who's the genius that came up with this poll? What's going to happen if Stanton pitches great next year? It is possible he just had a bad year.

Re: Merged: Stanton half way to 2009 Roster Spot and 2.75 Mil - Do you want him in 20

I was the genius that came up with the poll. A fellow member requested it, and I thought it might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Who's the genius that came up with this poll? What's going to happen if Stanton pitches great next year? It is possible he just had a bad year.
    Define great, then if he does, I will take you fishing in Pensacola and put you up for the weekend at my beachhouse on the Gulf of Mexico.

What are you willing to put up if he does not have a great year?

It is sunny and 87 at 4 pm cdt as I write this
    Last edited by StrikeIndicator; 10-01-2007 at 05:05 PM. Reason: add info

Turn Off Ads?