Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Future bright for Votto, Hamilton

Future bright for Votto, Hamilton

Future bright for Votto, Hamilton
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Sunday, September 30, 2007

CINCINNATI There were major-league scouts who questioned whether Joey Votto would hit major-league pitching. They have straightened those question marks into exclamation points after watching Votto in September.

Cincinnati Reds manager Pete Mackanin is a believer.

"He has handled his call-up (Sept. 1) very well," said Mackanin. "As he said when he first got here, 'I'm just going to keep my mouth shut and ears open and play.' And that's exactly what he has done.

"He has done his work, he has been professional and has made an impression, at least on me," said Mackanin.

Votto, who hit .302 with 14 homers and 72 RBIs in 111 games for the 2004 Class A Dayton Dragons, has shown this month he is ready to become the regular first baseman in 2008, hitting .329 with three homers and 12 RBIs in 23 games.

"I think he has a big future," Mackanin added. "He is confident in his ability and it shows, and that is an important ingredient to succeed at this level. You have to believe you can succeed and feel you belong here, and he seems to believe he belongs."

Another Big Mac

As for Josh Hamilton, Mackanin made a startling comparison: Mark McGwire.

Well, at least to Mark McGwire's legendary batting practice sessions, when fans arrived early to watch and opposing players stopped whatever they were doing to gape.

"He's special," said Mackanin. "Watching him take batting practice reminds me of watching McGwire. At least two or three times a day, he puts balls up in the top of that boat in center field. And he goes upper deck to left field. He has a lot of untapped potential left.

"The key to him is staying healthy, and if we can keep him on the field, he is going to put up extremely good numbers," Mackanin added. "And he is a solid defender, he can run, he is a five-tool player."

Hamilton hit .292 with 19 homers, but batted only 298 times and appeared in only 90 games, residing on the disabled list twice early this season and missing most of September with a hamstring injury.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Future bright for Votto, Hamilton

As much as I dont like depending on a kid who has had a drug problem because you never know what will happen in life that could bring back the demons, this is the kid I think the club should build around.

I found Hammy very impressive when he played. I'm concerned about his durability going forward.

Votto was great fun to watch the past month. Kind of like having a wee dram of MacCallen 18 after bad Chinese food. I still think he'd be the best trading chip the Reds have and don't want him to go but it feels like he's the most likely to bring a good arm back.

Nevertheless, it's nice to add a couple more good, young players to the mix.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

1. Brandon Phillips
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Edwin Encarnacion
    4. Josh Hamilton
    5. Joey Votto

Those are the big 5 I believe the Reds should build around as their core position players, in that order. I put EdE ahead of Hambone and Votto because he is right handed (and he has performed for an entire major league season). Regardless, with these five the future is very bright.

Also,

Jorge Cantu
    Jeff Keppinger
    Ryan Freel
    Norris Hopper

make up a very formidable bench, each one of which can play multiple positions. They should have the entire diamond covered between them, with the exception of the battery.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    1. Brandon Phillips
    2. Jay Bruce
    3. Edwin Encarnacion
    4. Josh Hamilton
    5. Joey Votto

Those are the big 5 I believe the Reds should build around as their core position players, in that order. I put EdE ahead of Hambone and Votto because he is right handed (and he has performed for an entire major league season). Regardless, with these five the future is very bright.

Also,

Jorge Cantu
    Jeff Keppinger
    Ryan Freel
    Norris Hopper

make up a very formidable bench, each one of which can play multiple positions. They should have the entire diamond covered between them, with the exception of the battery.

Don't forget about Dunn, who will still only be 28 years old. Another guy I like a whole lot if Todd Frazier. He's a very polished and disciplined hitter with above average power. I think he will zip right through the minor leagues. He sort of reminds me of a more athletic Kevin Youkilis. He's currently a SS in the minors but he'll eventually shift to either 2B or 3B or even left field. My hope is he can shift to 2B and allow the Reds to move Phillips to SS unless they find another young SS elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Don't forget about Dunn, who will still only be 28 years old. Another guy I like a whole lot if Todd Frazier. He's a very polished and disciplined hitter with above average power. I think he will zip right through the minor leagues. He sort of reminds me of a more athletic Kevin Youkilis. He's currently a SS in the minors but he'll eventually shift to either 2B or 3B or even left field. My hope is he can shift to 2B and allow the Reds to move Phillips to SS unless they find another young SS elsewhere.
    I like Frazier a heck of a lot as well, but he's definitely got some time before he's a major league cornerstone. I'd guess he won't even see GAB until September 2009, so the Reds have some time to spare before they start worrying about him.

As far as Dunn goes, not trying to hijack this thread to yet another Dunn thread, but it remains to be seen what the Reds will do with him. If he will sign a three-year deal in the 40-45 MM range, then great. If not, trade him next season for the best value you can get.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?