Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blown call in Rockies/Padre game....

Blown call in Rockies/Padre game....

I can understand if he blows the call.......but why wait until the catcher recovers and starts to tag him before he makes the safe sign?????? This will be a nightmare for umpires. This may give instant replay a foot in the door in MLB. Pathetic umpiring right there. Call him safe when he touches the plate in your mind when it happens not after you thought about it. Very odd.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Blown call in Rockies/Padre game....

They blew the HR call in the 7th, so it all evened out. But that's some bad umpiring.

You read my mind. I was going to start a thread entitled "Is Instant Replay in the Cards???".

Granted...I love the fact that umps call balls and strikes...as wrong as some may think it is I love that pitchers have to "earn" the outside corner.

But...on safe/out plays there should be no debate. Pads were robbed tonight...despite I was rooting for the Rocks.

Maybe they should just roll some robots or computers out there in place of umpires as some suggest...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Crazy call at the end.

Go Rockies!

The Padres definitely got robbed, just the wrong call and it's pretty obvious by looking at the replay. For as much slack that Barrett has gotten this season, he did a heck of a job blocking that plate.

I was rooting for the Rockies though so I'm happy. Probably the most enjoyable game I've watched all year.

The catcher was blocking the plate without the ball initially, which is a rule violation. I've seen that called occassionally which usually allows the run to score.
    PDM

For those that want instant replay you are discussing the wrong play. With instant replay that double in the 7th is a homerun and everything that happened after that point last night is moot because the game would have played out totally different.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    They blew the HR call in the 7th, so it all evened out. But that's some bad umpiring.

Yes, the game should not even have went extra innings. The Padres have no beef concerning the homeplate call.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I do think it is a good discussion to have on why there in no instant replay in MLB. There are a number of call on close plays at the bases and ball that are hit down the line where an instant replay system would be very useful. This might be a good reason why we need a real commissioner to get things like this done. I like Bud Selig, but he has always been the representative of the owners.

Ya can't teach speed...

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    I can understand if he blows the call.......but why wait until the catcher recovers and starts to tag him before he makes the safe sign?????? This will be a nightmare for umpires. This may give instant replay a foot in the door in MLB. Pathetic umpiring right there. Call him safe when he touches the plate in your mind when it happens not after you thought about it. Very odd.
    Don't you think the ump was trying to determine if Barrett had control of the ball....which I believe he did not.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I like Bud Selig, but he has always been the representative of the owners.
    So why do you like him when he's supposed to represent even-handedly the owners, players and fans while maintaining the tradition and integrity of the game. Is it his personal financial dealings that you admire?.......or do you think he handled the steroid epidemic well when he first became aware of it rather than later?

"I'm shocked. There's substance abuse in this establishment."

Quote Originally Posted by adampad View Post
    On a play like that i'd rather the umpire take an extra second to replay the play in his mind to make sure he gets it right. I don't know if thats why he delayed the call, but thats my guess.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Quote Originally Posted by demas863 View Post
    So why do you like him when he's supposed to represent even-handedly the owners, players and fans while maintaining the tradition and integrity of the game. Is it his personal financial dealings that you admire?.......or do you think he handled the steroid epidemic well when he first became aware of it rather than later?

"I'm shocked. There's substance abuse in this establishment."
    I think he has always favored the owners, but that he has always tried to do the best for the game of baseball. It would have been preferable if he had been an independent commissioner, but I don't think that will happen any time soon.

Both teams were getting pretty agitated by the slow, delayed strike calls. Umps that do this are only showing their "individuality" and drawing attention to themselves. It sure created a lot of uncertainty(if that's a word) the whole game. Absolutely uncalled for, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?