Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds tell Mackanin they are going to explore other options!

Reds tell Mackanin they are going to explore other options!

just posted on rotoworld.com

"The Reds informed interim manager Pete Mackanin that they will explore other options for the manager's role in 2008.

Mackanin remains a candidate for the job, but his chances don't seem quite as good as they did a month ago. The Reds would love to land Tony La Russa if he decides to leave St. Louis."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Reds tell Mackanin they are going to explore other options!

There never should have been any quotes of GM's and owners applauding Pete's job if they were going to yank the carpet out from under him because he couldn't win with the AAA team the last week of the season.

Fay doesn't have it quite as bleak for Pete as Rotoworld interpreted.

I talked to Wayne Krivsky about the process of hiring a manager. Let's just say he wasn't very enlightening.

"I said all I'm going to say about," Krivsky said. "It's not something I want to take daily calls on."

Krivsky did tell Pete Mackanin they are going to look at outside candidates.

"I talked to Pete obviously," Krivsky said, "just like we communicate on every player move."

Krivsky has no timetable, but it sounds like he prefer sooner over later.

"I have no way of knowing how long it's going to take," he said. "You don't want to put people lives in limbo any longer than you have to."

Krivsky would not say whether there's committee to help with process.

"That's for us," he said. "We're trying to get the best person. It could very well be Pete Mackanin."

How Tony LaRussa delaying his decision about whether he'll return to St. Louis affects all this is hard to say. I'd be surprised if Bob Castellini filled the job before he knows if LaRussa is a available or not.

Another factor in this now that they've decided to go outside, the Reds are pretty much obligated to interview minority candidates. That's a mandate from MLB.

Nothing surprising here. After all, Pete was hired as 'interim' manager. Personally, I think he did a good job but the plan always was to see what was out there at the end of the season. Pete will still get some thought. (famous shrug)

The Cubs did OK by bringing in an experienced manager (last to first) which is what many on this board wanted and still want. (another famous shrug).

Rem

Here it comes. Now Krivsky'll be skewered for saying Mackanin did a good job. Which he did.

All this means is they're going to go through an interview process, which they should.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Meanwhile, Tony LaRussa is auditioning for the part of Godot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3045878
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    All this means is they're going to go through an interview process, which they should.
    A process which Pete will be part of. He's still in the mix for the job. Rotoworld's report makes it seem as if Pete is out of the running.

Man Pills

Here it comes. Now Krivsky'll be skewered for saying Mackanin did a good job. Which he did.

I don't take issue with Krivsky saying Mackanin did a good job; but his irascible cloak and dagger interview style is very irritating for a guy who's not earned the right to say, "Shut up; I know what I'm doing." The guy sounds like a tool.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Meanwhile, Tony LaRussa is auditioning for the part of Godot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3045878
    Guffman.

Krivsky's the anti-Christopher Guest.

If the Reds really are making a hard charge for Larussa, I hope to hell Cast is in charge of that and not Krivsky; Wayne's got much bigger fish to fry than to court some aging drunk overrated manager.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-02-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't take issue with Krivsky saying Mackanin did a good job; but his irascible cloak and dagger interview style is very irritating for a guy who's not earned the right to say, "Shut up; I know what I'm doing." The guy sounds like a tool.
    What did he say that was "cloak and dagger"?

He indicated that he had informed Pete that they would be interviewing other potential managerial candidates, but that mackanin was also in line for the job.

I'm failing to see what's unclear about that.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Right, because its "cloak and dagger" and "shut up, I know what I'm doing" rather "I don't want to speak on things before they come to fruition" or "we're don't have any concrete information just yet."

I hear the tool-like sounds, too...just not from the same direction.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    What did he say that was "cloak and dagger"?

He indicated that he had informed Pete that they would be interviewing other potential managerial candidates, but that mackanin was also in line for the job.

I'm failing to see what's unclear about that.
    Subtext--it's a wonderful thing.

"I don't want to take daily calls about it" = "Shut up; we know what we're doing and we'll do it on our time. Now run along."
    Last edited by Heath; 10-02-2007 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Masked Profanity

I already skewered him I do think they'd be singing a different tune if they had played at the level they did before the injuries hit, which really doesn't make any sense. Maybe I'm wrong.

Out of all the jobs available, and there aren't many, this might be the plumb job out there.

What is also interesting are the potential candidates that might actually want the job.

I wonder if Dave Duncan would come over if LaRussa wanted to have the year off.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Guffman.

Krivsky's the anti-Christopher Guest.

If the Reds really are making a hard charge for Larussa, I hope to hell Cast is in charge of that and not Krivsky; Wayne's got much bigger fish to fry than to court some aging drunk overrated manager.
    You are especially lovely today

Turn Off Ads?