Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baseball America International League Top 20

Re: Baseball America International League Top 20

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Not to mention two of those three are number 1 and 2.
    And #10 looked anything but shabby in his September audition.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Its not what they are missing. Its what other teams have more of. The Yankees and Red Sox both have better systems, due in large part to their ability to throw around money and taking risks that payed off bigtime. The Devil Rays are absolutely loaded as always. That, at best puts the Reds 4th. It all comes down to, do the Reds have the depth to make that extra step. While I think they do, a lot of others think they don't. It will be interesting to see, when or if anyone comes out with a list, but in the end it doesn't matter a whole lot. The Reds have more top end talent than almost anyone, and in the end I would much rather have that than a 20 back up infielders/outfielders and 1 top end guy.
    I was just wondering why is that? I think I would rather have 4 top end guys and four back up type guys. You can really build around guys like Cueto, Votto, Bailey, and Bruce (like the yankees did when they first started their World Series streak w/ Jeter, Williams, Pettitte, Rivera) while you can only produce Reggie Sanders type guys with the 20 back ups.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Is this the same Homer Bailey that some people have said is the back of a rotation starter at best and is better served pitching out of the pen?
    Really, "People have said" should be "person has said" for the most part....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    I was just wondering why is that? I think I would rather have 4 top end guys and four back up type guys. You can really build around guys like Cueto, Votto, Bailey, and Bruce (like the yankees did when they first started their World Series streak w/ Jeter, Williams, Pettitte, Rivera) while you can only produce Reggie Sanders type guys with the 20 back ups.
    4 Top end guys and nothing else is a lot more valuable than a system not producing top end talent. Replacement level talent is readily available for fairly cheap....

Its not what they are missing. Its what other teams have more of. The Yankees and Red Sox both have better systems, due in large part to their ability to throw around money and taking risks that payed off bigtime. The Devil Rays are absolutely loaded as always. That, at best puts the Reds 4th. It all comes down to, do the Reds have the depth to make that extra step. While I think they do, a lot of others think they don't. It will be interesting to see, when or if anyone comes out with a list, but in the end it doesn't matter a whole lot. The Reds have more top end talent than almost anyone, and in the end I would much rather have that than a 20 back up infielders/outfielders and 1 top end guy.
    Just looking at these different lists Doug it looks like the Devil Rays, Red Sox, DBacks, Dodgers and Braves have much more top end talent over the Reds. Does that look like a good top 5 to you?

The Braves? Atlanta doesn't have 1 prospect that I would rank with the Reds big 4 guys. I am not sure they have a top 50 prospect in their entire system. The Devil Rays are far and away the best system in baseball. They graduated the #1/2 prospect in baseball from last year and replaced him with David Price and saw Evan Longoria validate his prospect status during the same time while getting steps forward with 2 other starting pitchers in Wade Davis and Jacob McGee. To be perfectly honest, the Devil Rays could realistically have 4 Top 10 overall prospects with Price, Longoria, Brignac and McGee. That is beyond insane.

The Diamondbacks graduating Justin Upton doesn't really help their ranking obviously, although he was eligible for the BA lists, but I doubt he is eligible for the year end top 100 list. They still have some solid top 100 type talent, but only Carlos Gonzalez should rank near a Joey Votto, but probably not with the Cueto's, Bailey's or Bruce's of the world.

Ok, since Im a novice at this who's your top 5, I respect your opinion? I was just looking at the lists.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Ok, since Im a novice at this who's your top 5, I respect your opinion? I was just looking at the lists.
    Devil Rays are #1 without a doubt.

The Red Sox and Yankees are also both in the top 5, just depends on who is doing the ranking. The Dodgers are close, the Reds are close, Seattle is in the discussion.....

Not exactly sure how I would rank them right now without gonig through the entire system of each team, which I don't have the time for right now, but their top talents all rank well.

rangers are pretty loaded and I'd rank them ahead of the reds. they have a couple top end guys, and due to texiera/gagne trades & international signings their depth is also incredible. they're 20 deep IMO all with legit shots at being regulars.

royals system is in pretty good shape as well.

if you place value more on what a franchise has put ON the field & not what it retains in the minors(not my personal view but also an important factor) then I think you have to give it up to the brewcrew.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

don't mean to double post but my edit button isn't working on my palm pda..

just wanted to give a list of just SOME of the rangers talent.

impressive, incomplete I'm sure, and in no particular order:

*hurley
    *volquez
    diamond
    mayberry
    kiker
    teagarden
    arias
    lemon
    duran
    davis
    beaven
    main
    poveda
    castillo
    font
    beltre
    borbon
    ramirez
    greene

phew.. guys with * I'd rate as high ceiling top tier guys right now. diamond could certainly join that list but has stepped back due to injury. guys like beavon, main, font, certainly look like they could make the jump soon. some could argue teagarden as well with his reemergence. their new GM has done a more than comendable job stocking this system in a short amount of time. their draft last year was very strong & the international signings & trades have really infused their minors with a buttload of talent.

I'm envious... & I love our farm.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

The Rangers do have a very solid farm system. I don't think I would take it over the Reds system, but its real close.

The nay-sayers always complain about the depth or some other flaw in the Reds farm system. That said...what team doesn't look at this list and wish they were in the Reds' position. Granted, I'm sure some teams are in better shape in the minors overall...but this list speaks for it self.

Devil Rays are #1 without a doubt.

The Red Sox and Yankees are also both in the top 5, just depends on who is doing the ranking. The Dodgers are close, the Reds are close, Seattle is in the discussion.....

Not exactly sure how I would rank them right now without gonig through the entire system of each team, which I don't have the time for right now, but their top talents all rank well.
    Doug...do you see the Ray's MLB team making a run at the Yanks/Sox in a few years. They have a long long way to go...do their prospects close the gap in a hurry...or are they starting in too big a hole right now.

No I don't. The Yankees and Red Sox have huge payrolls and can get almost any free agent they want.... then on top of that, both are showing very strong minor league systems. The rich just get richer these days with kids falling becuase of demands and the Yankees or Red Sox can pluck them up and pay 8th round picks a million dollars.

No I don't. The Yankees and Red Sox have huge payrolls and can get almost any free agent they want.... then on top of that, both are showing very strong minor league systems. The rich just get richer these days with kids falling becuase of demands and the Yankees or Red Sox can pluck them up and pay 8th round picks a million dollars.

If Tampa Bay increases their payroll to about 50 million, they should be able to compete with the young talent they have. They have a top 5 pick every year and they have drafted well in the middle rounds as well (Davis,Mcgee,Jennings). TB could be very similar to the '07 Indians team in a couple of years.

Turn Off Ads?