Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Hamilton

Trade Hamilton

Josh Hamilton is our best trade bait.

He's a 5 tool player, good defensively and on the basepaths, and he's still very cheap. He has been chronically injured his entire career and my gut feeling is that he will be for most of his career.

I see no takers for Griffey. I'd try and trade Griffey first, but when that failed, I'd move to seeking trade offers for Hamilton. Why? Because we have his replacement in triple AAA, Jay Bruce.

I believe Hamilton could bring a #2 or #3 starter and would solidify the rotation.

SP - Harang
    SP - Arroyo
    SP - pitcher acquired in trade for Josh Hamilton
    SP - Bailey
    SP - Cueto or a free agent signing

That rotation doesn't look too bad, does it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trade Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Josh Hamilton is our best trade bait.

He's a 5 tool player, good defensively and on the basepaths, and he's still very cheap. He has been chronically injured his entire career and my gut feeling is that he will be for most of his career.

I see no takers for Griffey. I'd try and trade Griffey first, but when that failed, I'd move to seeking trade offers for Hamilton. Why? Because we have his replacement in triple AAA, Jay Bruce.

I believe Hamilton could bring a #2 or #3 starter and would solidify the rotation.

SP - Harang
    SP - Arroyo
    SP - pitcher acquired in trade for Josh Hamilton
    SP - Bailey
    SP - Cueto or a free agent signing

That rotation doesn't look too bad, does it?
    IMO - no way do I trade Hamilton. Griffey ( or Dunn ) goes to make room for Bruce. A small market team like the Reds needs the young cheap players. Plus the Reds defense improves with Hamilton and Bruce in the OF.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

I loved every minute that Hamilton was on the field, but if we can get a #2 or #3 for him, he has to be dealt. But other teams will not give up a #2 or #3 because they would be leery of his injury history. And Griffey isn't bringing ANYTHING back let alone a #2 or #3. Besides, after seven years as a Red, I would feel cheated to see him hit #600 as a member of another team, with the possible exception of the Mariners.

NO WAY!!! Hamilton is our future....

How could we say no to a legit #2 or #3 starter for a guy who we picked up practically for free? While I think Hamilton is awesome and definitely someone who should have a high price tag, he's had several injuries already. That might mean nothing, or it might mean he's going to be an injury prone outfielder that'll spend half his time on the DL. His value is really high right now because of his potential, low cost, and initial results.

The Reds organization produces star outfielders like nobody's business. And we all pretty much agree we could use a proven #2 or #3 pitcher. I could see saying no to an older pitcher who we'd only have for a little bit, but if that starter is young and cheap I say we take him every day of the week for Hamilton.

They won't trade Hamilton unless it is for a terrific pitcher. I emphasize the terrific. He would have to be a number one starter, or a bullpen guy like Chad Cordero.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Hamilton and Philips are the last players I would trade. As hot a commodity as pitching is I seriously doubt anyone is going to want to trade a great young major league pitcher, even for a player as good as Hamilton. Everyone needs pitching. Our best bet is to continue to let Wayne do his thing. He will get us pitching. We still have the FA market and we will have Milton's money and maybe Dunn's to work with. We also have Homer and Cueto still developing. The Reds are still a couple of season's away. Right now the most important thing they need to do is hire a great manager who will be here for the long haul.

Senor Votto

If Dunn can't get the Reds a 3rd Starter then Hamilton sure as heck isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    If Dunn can't get the Reds a 3rd Starter then Hamilton sure as heck isn't.
    Good point.

Senor Votto

While I'm thinking of it Jay Bruce is Griffey's replacement not Hamilton's.

Wow. So we'll have a good outfield but nobody that can get anybody out in the pitching department.

Gee, sounds like this year.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    While I'm thinking of it Jay Bruce is Griffey's replacement not Hamilton's.
    Well, since Griffey is untradeable, meaning no other team wants him, you mean another year of waiting in terms of the Reds winning anything? That's the way I see it.

Nobody wants Dunn or Griffey. We have 4 LH power hitting outfielders if yo include Bruce.

Who are the most desirable players on the Reds that would bring something in return? Probably Phillips and Hamilton.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Well, since Griffey is untradeable, meaning no other team wants him, you mean another year of waiting in terms of the Reds winning anything? That's the way I see it.

Nobody wants Dunn or Griffey. We have 4 LH power hitting outfielders if yo include Bruce.

Who are the most desirable players on the Reds that would bring something in return? Probably Phillips and Hamilton.
    Who ever said he was untradeable? I'm sure Seattle would give something pretty good for him. And Bruce is not going to be the missing piece that suddenly makes the Reds win.

Other than JB, Harang and Phillips he probably has the most value so if the right deal comes up you have to deal him. I still wonder about his ability to take the day in and day out grind of the season.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

No Bruce isn't. But the pitching acquired for Hamilton, our most tradeable option, will help us win. But I guess you can't see this.

When making trades, you look at your most tradeable option, look to see if you have someone of quality to replace him, and seek what your missing (pitching).

Turn Off Ads?