Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade Hamilton

Re: Trade Hamilton

No matter how bad a team needs a good outfielder they won't give up a #2.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    No matter how bad a team needs a good outfielder they won't give up a #2.
    Exactly you'd probably be pretty lucky if you'd get a #3.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Exactly you'd probably be pretty lucky if you'd get a #3.
    Nah, I know you could get a solid three. I wouldn't take one though. This team needs bullpen help. The starters will come. Maybe Carlos Silva. Maybe we will fill the vacancies from within. I think that Bailey and Cueto already guaranteed themselves, barring an injury, starting rotation spots next year. That leaves one spot. Maloney may end up with that. That's why I would only take a one or two starter, or a terrific bullpen pitcher.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Your not going to get a whole lot for Hamilton. Hes played one good major league season and was injured through most part of that.

and name 1 team that wants to trade their #3

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    If Dunn can't get the Reds a 3rd Starter then Hamilton sure as heck isn't.
    I may concede that it's getting tougher and tougher to pry away front end pitchers using OF as trade bait, but I'm not sure I agree with this "If, then" statement.

Dunn, right now, gives a potential new team only one year of guaranteed service, at a price tag of $13 million. To retain him for the four years after that will cost (roughly) another $60 million.

Hamilton, right now, gives a potential new team five (5) years of guaranteed service, with the first two coming at the league minimum pay-out (let's round up and say $1 million total for those two years) before entering three years of arbitration (let's be generous and say that a productive Hamilton, if a team doesn't buy out his arb years in favor of a long term deal, will get about $15 million over those three years).

So you can take Dunn, almost certain to post .260 / 40 HR / 100 RBI / .900 OPS numbers, given his past, at a cost of $73 million over 5 years (with only the first year guaranteed to come as a member of your team). Or you can take Hamilton, who has shown .280 / 30 HR / 80 RBI / .850 OPS promise in his one season of major league ball, at a total cost of $16 million over five years (all five of those years guaranteed to be for your team).

It's different strokes for different folks, all because of the wildly different financial models that exist throughout MLB... but methinks that Hamilton is, at least to a few teams, a significantly MORE attractive piece of trade bait than Dunn. Of course, those are likely the same teams that will value their talented, young, cheap pitching a lot more than a team with the money to go after Dunn, too, so perhaps it all evens out?

Rick

Thank God Steves Gone

n
    Last edited by The Cowboy; 10-03-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Thank God Steves Gone

No way you trade the stud that is Josh Hamilton unless you get an awesome 2nd starter and a stud right hand hitting prospect.. Hammy is already unreal so think if he plays 50 games more and gets extra seasoning!? You cant trade Roy Hobbs....

sorry about the other post.. i dont know what happened

CAN Josh be traded? I thought he was rule 5 and had to stay with the club?

Personally? I say keep him.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    CAN Josh be traded? I thought he was rule 5 and had to stay with the club?

Personally? I say keep him.
    You just have to keep him on the roster for a year then you can do what you want with him.

Thanks! Thought it was 3 years....

A problem I see. You want to trade a position player for a #2 or 3 starter because, in your view, a #2 or 3 starter is more valuable than nearly any position player. You must think this because you're going to give up a very promising young player who will be cheap for several years. But any team that trades you their #2 or 3 starter for Hamilton will now have what we have--Hamilton and a big hole in the rotation. Why would some other team want the problem we now have?

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    Your not going to get a whole lot for Hamilton. Hes played one good major league season and was injured through most part of that.
    My take exactly.

Not to mention that the second the Reds seem willing to trade Hamilton his value drops. It will take 2-3 of injury and drug free years before his value tradewise comes anywhere near his potential.

This team can't win with the bullpen they have. Fix that and you win 15 + more games. You can fix a bullpen a lot easier and cheaper than acquiring a true ""#3"".

Either way I wouldn't trade Hamilton, he's is too good and he's too cheap for too long to trade him at this time.
    Don't smoke'em if you got'em

Dunn and Griffey are not guaranteed past 2008. Hamilton is our only outfielder who is guaranteed past 2008. We have a big starting outfielder gap once you get past Griffey and Dunn. If we had the outfield depth to trade Hamilton, we might do it. But we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    A problem I see. You want to trade a position player for a #2 or 3 starter because, in your view, a #2 or 3 starter is more valuable than nearly any position player. You must think this because you're going to give up a very promising young player who will be cheap for several years. But any team that trades you their #2 or 3 starter for Hamilton will now have what we have--Hamilton and a big hole in the rotation. Why would some other team want the problem we now have?
    Because they're a small market club trying to keep their payroll down and decide they can't afford their #2 or #3 and need to unload them for equal CHEAP SALARIED return. Hamilton fits that mold perfectly. He is GOOD RETURN at a BASE PRICE.

I agree it will take the right circumstances, but I think it can be done.

And trading a position player does not leave us with a huge hole. Bruce is ready by all accounts of those who have seen him play.

Turn Off Ads?