Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade Hamilton

Re: Trade Hamilton

I didn't say anything about our having a hole in the outfield after you trade Hamilton. Whoever trades us a #2 or 3 starter will have a hole in their rotation similar to the one we have now in our rotation. What too few people are willing to admit is that there is a very small number of pitchers out there who will really fill the bill for what we want. There's almost no team that can afford to give up the kind of starter we need and still remain competitive.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Reds should keep Hamilton. Sure, injuries might be a problem but I wonder how much of that is due to not playing for several years. I would expect his conditioning to be a little below someone who's played consistently over the past few years.

If I recall correctly, Hamilton is locked up with the Reds for 5 years. His contract is extremely inexpensive for what he can provide. A team like the Reds HAS to keep a guy like Hamilton. He's going to be a 35-40 HR/100+ RBI guy that will cost FAR below an experienced player putting up the same numbers.

I would trade Dunn before I would trade Hamilton. However, the question has arisen whether Hamilton can stay healthy for a full season.

Why wouldn't a team trade for Dunn? The Braves traded for Texeira and will be a FA after 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Dunn and Griffey are not guaranteed past 2008. Hamilton is our only outfielder who is guaranteed past 2008. We have a big starting outfielder gap once you get past Griffey and Dunn. If we had the outfield depth to trade Hamilton, we might do it. But we don't.
    Outfield depth should never be the Reds problem. They have Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton, Hopper, Gil, Ellison, Dickerson, Bruce, Freel, not to mention Stubbs who will be here in a couple years. I think this team is pretty set on outfielders. If they somehow do find themselves low on outfield depth they could play Votto out there, and keep Cantu at first.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Outfield depth should never be the Reds problem. They have Griffey, Dunn, Hamilton, Hopper, Gil, Ellison, Dickerson, Bruce, Freel, not to mention Stubbs who will be here in a couple years. I think this team is pretty set on outfielders. If they somehow do find themselves low on outfield depth they could play Votto out there, and keep Cantu at first.
    The problem is that all of those outfielders are reserves; they are not starting outfielders. I should have made it clear that I meant we are thin in starting outfielders. Hopper and Freel are platoon players at best, and Stubbs and Dickerson have yet to prove anything. Griffey and Dunn are not guaranteed past 2008 and until we see more starting outfielders appear on the horizon, I would be very cautious about trading any of our outfielders.

How do you know Hopper is only a platoon player?
    Who's on first?

He has the potential to be a starting outfielder for a few years; however his lack of power and low OBP have always limited him to platoon status at best. Keppinger and Hopper should both be watched next year, and see if they can duplicate their remarkable success they had this year. Hopper had a good OBP this year, but that was largely dependent on his high BA and a lot of bunt hits. We had a fairly good discussion on the Hopper thread on whether or not he should be a starting outfielder, but with our 3 outfielders and Jay Bruce coming up, he will most likely have to be satisfied with platoon status unless he shows he can consistantly hit .330.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    The Reds should keep Hamilton. Sure, injuries might be a problem but I wonder how much of that is due to not playing for several years. I would expect his conditioning to be a little below someone who's played consistently over the past few years.

If I recall correctly, Hamilton is locked up with the Reds for 5 years. His contract is extremely inexpensive for what he can provide. A team like the Reds HAS to keep a guy like Hamilton. He's going to be a 35-40 HR/100+ RBI guy that will cost FAR below an experienced player putting up the same numbers.
    Hamilton had injury problems in his early years in Tampa. Not one major but several little things that kept him out of lineup or on DL quite often.

IMO, you don't trade Hamilton. He is a person that you build your organization around in the future. I don't buy the injury prone arguement. Yes, he had a tough year from that perspective this year. His minor league injuries were mostly from his car wreck with his mother. He gives you long term insurance.

You have to remember, he was cutting trees with his brother when he got the call that he was picked up in the Rule 5 draft. He didn't have the time and experience to get prepared for a long season. I believe that he will work hard in the off season and come back prepared for next season.

With his pitching background, maybe we work him there in the offseason. I say that tongue in cheek because you give up too many tools with him as a pitcher but it is fun to think about.

I would be extremely disappointed if the Reds traded Josh. He was one bright spot in a very long year.

Turn Off Ads?