Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Take me out to the ballgame, then watermark it

Take me out to the ballgame, then watermark it

I can't see this going over well with the masses.
    Take me out to the ballgame, then watermark it

By Nate Anderson | Published: October 02, 2007 - 10:01PM CT

Major League Baseball likes its copyrights served up strong, with just a hint of hyperbole to keep things interesting. The league has previously asserted that player names and statistics are subject to copyright (and must therefore be licensed for use in things like fantasy baseball leagues), and for months now it has emitted ominous rumblings about the Slingbox and its ability to place-shift content. Now, in an effort to know exactly how game footage is being used by television stations around the world, Major League Baseball has signed a deal with watermarking and monitoring firm Teletrax to keep an eye on the 2007 postseason.

Teletrax will provide the technology to watermark game broadcasts, and it will use a proprietary international system of detectors to determine when and where that footage is then used around the globe. The company claims that its technology is robust enough to protect against "all common video-processing operations normally found in studios and in transmission paths," including MPEG compression, cropping, scaling, and 50/60Hz conversion for use outside the US. The company claims that the watermark will even survive the transition to DivX.

The company's detectors can monitor all 210 television markets in the US along with cable and satellite broadcasts. They sniff out the watermark and log information about video clips that show up in sports shows, local news broadcasts, and the like. This lets Major League Baseball crack down on broadcasters using its footage without paying, but it also allows the league to cash in by more accurately billing for things like "sponsorship valuations."

The move does not appear targeted at the Internet use of MLB footage, though the league already keeps an eye out for this and has been involved in numerous takedown requests to sites like YouTube. If the watermark is truly as robust as Teletrax claims, there's no reason in principle why the system could not be extended to the Internet. Digimarc, which provides some of the underlying technology to Teletrax, has already filed for just such a patent.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...ermark-it.html
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Take me out to the ballgame, then watermark it

Boy MLB is always full of great ideas :thumbdown
    Go Gators!

I wonder if the watermark text is going to be GREED!
    "Is there a problem officers?"

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Boy MLB is always full of great ideas :thumbdown

Yeah, they are full of it all right.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

but it also allows the league to cash in by more accurately billing for things like "sponsorship valuations."
    This part is not so bad. Our favorite team's cash register rings every time a ballpark ad appears in game highlights on local newscasts. This watermarking is a tool to help measure those appearances. It's bound to point out some ad exposures that were being missed, which will send more $$$ in the Reds' direction.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    This part is not so bad. Our favorite team's cash register rings every time a ballpark ad appears in game highlights on local newscasts. This watermarking is a tool to help measure those appearances. It's bound to point out some ad exposures that were being missed, which will send more $$$ in the Reds' direction.
    But will that amount to anything more than meal money? We're probably not talking about millions of dollars.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    But will that amount to anything more than meal money? We're probably not talking about millions of dollars.
    If I had to guess, I'd say that particular benefit is more like thousands of dollars a year than millions. My larger point is that it's not just about suppressing the use of highlight footage or billing Benny the Blogger for showing Wednesday's walkoff on his web site. There are measurable benefits.
    /r/reds

One would think they would prefer to have their game spread to the masses by any means necessary to ensure continued popularity and prosperity. This seems to be going too far.

Too bad they can not be so vigilant and creative in policing banned substances among the much smaller population of players.
    Last edited by Bill; 10-04-2007 at 01:17 PM.

If I'm not mistaken, I think there are copyright protection issues here.

I'm not a lawyer, but from what I know, if they don't protect those copyrights like Doberman Pinchers, they stand to lose them totally.

The same kinds of things happen with team names, logos, etc. both in the pros and college. Blame it all on the lawyers.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Too bad they can not be so vigilant and creative in policing banned substances among the much smaller population of players.
    Can't hurt offensive numbers, people dig them
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?