Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ORG: "My moves for 2008" - by Wheelhouse; For discussion on the Sun Deck

Re: ORG: "My moves for 2008" - by Wheelhouse; For discussion on the Sun Deck

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    He's a free agent at the end of the year, and would command more than 20 million a year in an extension. So, in addition to giving up a lot of young talent, we would have to partake in giving Santana a massive contract anyways to keep him. This is not the type of move the Reds can make, even though I would love to have Santana on the team.
    Sometimes teams have to take risks on players like Santana, that would only likely be one year players. I just floated the idea. That doesn't mean he would be my first target.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Schilling

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    By 2009 Cueto should be ready. We'll also know if Shearn can pan out given his limited success. There's bound to be somebody else wanting a shot at starting too, such as Maloney (or maybe Thompson?). I really only think we need a SP for 2008 on a one year, maybe two year contract at best. Hence let's go out and get us Schilling or Glavine (if they'd come here).
    I would like to see the Reds go 'all in' on Schilling for a one year deal. They will likely have to pay $3-5M more than the next bidder and really sell him on the team. 2007 will tell us a lot about Belisle & Bailey and give Cueto a year in AAA.

I think the Reds have the money if they want to spend it on Schilling ( ie Milton's & Lohse's contracts are gone )

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    Sometimes teams have to take risks on players like Santana, that would only likely be one year players. I just floated the idea. That doesn't mean he would be my first target.
    While it is true that there are times a team needs to take a risk like that, this is not the time. If Santana was the final piece the team needed to make a championship push, then my all means go all in, because small market teams generally have smaller championship windows. However, the Reds have too many holes to fill before we are a playoff contender, and the pieces Minnesota would need for Santana (Bailey, Bruce etc) are the Reds best chance of filling some of those major holes.

While it is true that there are times a team needs to take a risk like that, this is not the time. If Santana was the final piece the team needed to make a championship push, then my all means go all in, because small market teams generally have smaller championship windows. However, the Reds have too many holes to fill before we are a playoff contender, and the pieces Minnesota would need for Santana (Bailey, Bruce etc) are the Reds best chance of filling some of those major holes.
    Here's hoping that Bailey is the next Santana. I hope they both turn out to be good players. I do think this team needs to take some kind of a risk though. Would it be too much to go after a Farnsworth, or Rodney? We need a guy that throws really hard out of the pen. When I look through the program nobody scares me. I need somebody that I know the other team doesn't want to face.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

He's a free agent at the end of the year, and would command more than 20 million a year in an extension. So, in addition to giving up a lot of young talent, we would have to partake in giving Santana a massive contract anyways to keep him. This is not the type of move the Reds can make, even though I would love to have Santana on the team.
    Ah, sanity! Twins have tried to re-up him, but he knows what he is, and has balked to the point that they will not get him inked. Yanks or Bosox will pay him whatever it takes, and he will get the limelight he justly craves. Reds fans, Faw-get about it!!

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Ah, sanity! Twins have tried to re-up him, but he knows what he is, and has balked to the point that they will not get him inked. Yanks or Bosox will pay him whatever it takes, and he will get the limelight he justly craves. Reds fans, Faw-get about it!!

Who's on first?

Anybody know what Kerry Wood's contract situation is? Anybody think signing Wood, promising him a chance to get back to starter status, might be worth a try?

I'd pay him $500,000 to try it.
    Who's on first?

Turn Off Ads?