Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers considering a deal for Dunn?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Rangers considering a deal for Dunn?

This might be nothing more than a sportswriter's fantasy, but it's a Dunn suitor we haven't heard about before, AFAIK.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....34a7ec4.html#

Rangers no longer want to just fill holes
    Club planning to pick up elite players or give young guns a shot

12:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, October 3, 2007
    By EVAN GRANT / The Dallas Morning News
    egrant@dallasnews.com

ARLINGTON Ė The Rangers officially put the 2007 season to rest Tuesday afternoon, with a post-mortem media gathering to rehash the team's issues and address the plan going forward.

That plan: It's all or nothing.

That doesn't necessarily apply to the club's hopes but rather to the kinds of free agents or trade acquisitions the Rangers will seek this winter. General manager Jon Daniels said the club plans to get out of the business of simply signing veterans to fill holes. Instead, he indicated, the Rangers will either add elite-level players to fill holes or give opportunities to their own young players until such elite talents become available.

"We expect to win, and I don't think you have to take a black-or-white approach that it's either 'building' or 'contending.' Arizona and Colorado certainly didn't pick one of the two," said Daniels, alluding to the pair of young NL playoff teams that have been built primarily from within. "What I don't want to do is acquire mediocre free-agent players who would block some of your younger talent from getting their chances."

Such an approach means also looking at the talent in the minor leagues and assessing whether giving a free agent a contract now would block a talented player in a year or two.

The philosophy makes it more likely the Rangers will pursue a center fielder on a long-term deal and that right field and first base, two other holes identified by manager Ron Washington and Daniels, would either be filled from within or on inexpensive short-term deals.

The center-field market will be crowded with free agents such as Torii Hunter, Aaron Rowand and Mike Cameron and possible for-trade talents such as Coco Crisp and Rocco Baldelli. The Rangers' top center-field prospects are Engel Beltre and Julio Borbon, and both are probably at least three years away. The combination of the market strength and the Rangers' need makes center field a spot where a long-term deal makes more sense.

Conversely, the market for power-hitting corner infielders and outfielders is significantly less attractive. The most intriguing name might be Cincinnati left fielder Adam Dunn, who has an option for 2008. The Reds could pick up the option, then deal him.

But the Rangers don't necessarily feel the need to get a long-term answer at either spot, with John Mayberry Jr. and Chris Davis (who could move back from third to first) excelling in the minor leagues. David Murphy, perhaps a Rusty Greer starter kit, might present the best cost-effective option. Nelson Cruz, who failed two auditions this season but who has fewer than 500 career at-bats, could also get a longer look.

The club might opt to go younger at spots like DH. The Rangers could be presented with either paying more for Sammy Sosa on a one-year deal or giving Jason Botts, with only 244 major league at-bats, a full-time job.
    "We're going to continue to do things in a manner where we infuse our young players and give them chances," Daniels said. "If we go for [free agents], we're going to pick guys who fit in with the where we are going."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rangers considering a deal for Dunn?

David Murphy, perhaps a Rusty Greer starter kit, might present the best cost-effective option.
    I ordered my Rusty Greer starter kit out of the back of The Sporting News. It consisted of a clump of dirt to rub on my uniform, a rasp for toughening up my fingers and teeth, and some red hair dye.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Do the Rangers have anything to offer for Dunn? I have given a quick glance at their roster and didn't really see anything that the Rangers could offer that the Reds should consider.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

It could be a good suitor depending on what they offer (I'm not overly familiar with their farm system. Dunn would maybe agree to a long-term deal there as well since it's Texas.

I have commented on several occasions that I thought Dunn will end up in Texas.

I would take Benoit, Volquez and a catcher(M. Ramirez maybe) for Dunn and a throw in.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Do the Rangers have anything to offer for Dunn? I have given a quick glance at their roster and didn't really see anything that the Rangers could offer that the Reds should consider.
    Any pitcher with a live arm that can throw strikes would be a good start!
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

This is just speculation by a Texas writer whom then dismisses it in the next paragraph.

I don't see them having the pitching we need.
    Go Gators!

Any team that thinks it has a chance to sign Dunn long term would be wise to pony up a decent offer come June 15, if Dunn has not been extended (assuming the option is picked up). My guess is that, based on geography and/or rumors we've heard, there could be several teams interested: the Nats, both Texas teams, Boston, Arizona, at least.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Well if we are going to do a deal with the Rangers involving Dunn then this is what I would want in return for Dunn:

Rangers Trade:
    1)CJ Wilson-he becomes a 7th-9th inning back of the bullpen guy.
    2)Edinson Volquez-he assumes the #3 spot in the rotation is young and gives us more of a solid staff.
    3)Taylor Teagarden-currently in AA, and he would be a valuable backstop to a much needed position in our system.

Reds Trade:
    1)Adam Dunn-the Rangers get their LF/Dh slugger they desperatly need.
    2)Todd Coffey-may need a change of scenery to flourish in the pen.
    3)Brad Salmon-another RP that can fill in in middle relief.

This allows the Reds to have an OF consisting of:
    LF-Hamilton/FA aqusition
    CF-Hopper
    RF-Griffey/Cantu/Bruce

Rotation:
    Harang,Arroyo,Volquez,Bailey,Belisle

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Well if we are going to do a deal with the Rangers involving Dunn then this is what I would want in return for Dunn:

Rangers Trade:
    1)CJ Wilson-he becomes a 7th-9th inning back of the bullpen guy.
    2)Edinson Volquez-he assumes the #3 spot in the rotation is young and gives us more of a solid staff.
    3)Taylor Teagarden-currently in AA, and he would be a valuable backstop to a much needed position in our system.

Reds Trade:
    1)Adam Dunn-the Rangers get their LF/Dh slugger they desperatly need.
    2)Todd Coffey-may need a change of scenery to flourish in the pen.
    3)Brad Salmon-another RP that can fill in in middle relief.

This allows the Reds to have an OF consisting of:
    LF-Hamilton/FA aqusition
    CF-Hopper
    RF-Griffey/Cantu/Bruce

Rotation:
    Harang,Arroyo,Volquez,Bailey,Belisle
    Why are so many people eager to give Hopper a starting job? I don't see it, I just don't see it...
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

"What I don't want to do is acquire mediocre free-agent players who would block some of your younger talent from getting their chances."

Know any teams that do that?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

I still think that Seattle is the ideal place for Dunn to go, where he would have to replace Sexson at 1B. He can hit homeruns out of that park as easily as anyplace else. If we pick up Dunn's option, I'm pretty certain that Seattle will not be one of the places he would want to play.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I don't see them having the pitching we need.

That has been the Ranger's problem for the most part. How do you deal what you either don't have or can't afford to part with?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    That has been the Ranger's problem for the most part. How do you deal what you either don't have or can't afford to part with?
    They don't have subprime prospect loans do they?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Turn Off Ads?